Author Topic: Rondo's guard defense is shameful at the moment.  (Read 6028 times)

Re: Rondo's guard defense is shameful at the moment.
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 08:23:13 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
The top 5 points in the League have their way with him. Never was a good defender but liked to gamble on defense deceiving those who thought he could play defense. The likes of Dennis Johnson would have won 2 Rings with the Big 3. Rondo is overrated but very good. His big problem is he's too fast for the Team he represents.

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 08:35:41 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
The top 5 points in the League have their way with him. Never was a good defender but liked to gamble on defense deceiving those who thought he could play defense. The likes of Dennis Johnson would have won 2 Rings with the Big 3. Rondo is overrated but very good. His big problem is he's too fast for the Team he represents.

Lol...rondo has his way with any pg he wants...the Dennis Johnson would have won 2 rings is absurd...we would've won 3 if kg never gets hurt and isn't hobbling and getting dominated by gasol in the 2009 finals. The team around rondo is too slow and his speed is a game changer. Very good but overrated...what does that even mean
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:41:48 AM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 08:44:35 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
this is why Bradley is such a good fit with rondo. I'm bored with rondos defense sucks threads.
BAradley will be locking down elite pg's and smaller two guards while Rondo plays the passing lanes with those long arms and huge hands for steals and immediate fast beak opportunities .

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 01:31:20 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Rondo's been bad about going through screens from what I've seen. I don't really have a problem with his overall defense though.

As for your correlation, I don't think you've shown it exists. Mostly because the data you work with isn't really indicative of how well Rondo's been playing on defense. Quick example I remember Jameer going off on Barbosa and not Rondo, so I went and looked at the play by play.

Jameer scored 11 points on 4-5 shooting while Barbosa was in, his one miss was blocked by Lee. While Rondo was in he scored 9 points on 4-12 shooting with 1-1 fta (a foul he drew on Rondo)

That's just one example, I'm sure other games the majority of the points are scored when Rondo is on the opposing PG. My point is that just looking at the point totals of opposing point guards is a poor way to determine things.

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213BOS5.HTM

Opposing PGs don't pop out as what's killing us. Instead its basically been opposing PFs along with shaking production at SG.

What's really concerning is noticing that opposing centers put up a higher PER than ours.  I guess KG only playing 29mpg has something to do with that.  But still concerning that all the positives that KG bring are basically undone when KG comes out.

So does that mean other Centers do well agains't the Celtics because the Celtics bigs have to switch off their men to help stop the point guard that Rondo allowed to drive to the hoop? Could that also be part of the reason that they give up so many offensive rebounds, again because they have to leave their man making it rather difficult to box them out. I'm not saying to sole reason, but partly?

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I agree with the main posting 100%.  The writer nailed everything that Rondo is doing poorly.

Plain and simple, Rondo has been LAZY. 

And, don't start with that "conserving energy" nonsense.  It doesn't take energy to put yourself in a defensive stance.  That alone would improve Rondo's D tremendously.

By far the worst thing Rondo is doing is gambling for steals from behind.  He lets his man get past him so he can swat at the ball, but he needs to realize that this gamble is what is leading to the breakdown of the interior defense.

STAY IN FRONT OF YOUR MAN, RONDO!

I mentioned about a week ago that when Bradley returns he'll be guarding the opposing PG, except in cases like Miami, where he'll be on Wade.  This will allow Rondo to switch over to guarding SGs, taking him off the ball.

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm sure that by season's end Rondo will once again be voted to one of the all NBA defensive teams by the league's coaches.  I guess NBA coaches don't watch the games as closely or with as much understanding of the game as many of the posters here on Celtics Blog.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
This is an undeniable fact. Rondo plays lazy defense. Especially in the regular season. I have an 8th grade son who plays point and have sat there and rewound tape time and time again showing him Rondo defending as an example of what NOT to do. No one can argue that he uses his unreal speed to keep his feet in front of his man. No one can argue he gives 100% to get through the pick. No one can argue he doesn't drift away from his man usually losing sight of them. He has the physical tools to do all of these against almost every player in the game. He chooses to gamble in passing lanes, try and poke the ball out from behind, and hope his team helps recover from his poor effort.

That being said, he definitely increases his level of play during the playoffs. This is likely what frustrates fans the most. He gets paid 134k each game in the regular season to do a job. Why he chooses some nights to give 100% and some nights not to is beyond me. If he did, he'd be hands down the best PG in the game. Instead he is just in the running. I definitely have left the idea of trading him because you'd never get equal value for him, however I sure wish the guy had as much pride in his effort as an NBA player ought to. I don't expect 82 straight games of 100%, however lazy defense should be the exception, not the usual.

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 02:06:29 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Rondo's effort really irritates me sometimes. The OP is spot-on, and I'll be burning incense, sacrificing chickens, and helping old ladies across the street in the hopes that AB can cover up for Rondo's lazy regular season defense when he comes back.

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Rondo's effort really irritates me sometimes. The OP is spot-on, and I'll be burning incense, sacrificing chickens, and helping old ladies across the street in the hopes that AB can cover up for Rondo's lazy regular season defense when he comes back.

TP. This is not only funny, but a good point. Just like in Rec league ball with kids, the coach is going to put his best defender on their ball handler. AB will be the one putting pressure on their PG and Rondo will be guarding the two where he can more easily play his gambling lane wandering defense. Then we will be complaining on here that his man knocked down 3 after 3 because he moved to an open spot when Rondo's back was turned to him!  ;D

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
This is an undeniable fact. Rondo plays lazy defense. Especially in the regular season. I have an 8th grade son who plays point and have sat there and rewound tape time and time again showing him Rondo defending as an example of what NOT to do. No one can argue that he uses his unreal speed to keep his feet in front of his man. No one can argue he gives 100% to get through the pick. No one can argue he doesn't drift away from his man usually losing sight of them. He has the physical tools to do all of these against almost every player in the game. He chooses to gamble in passing lanes, try and poke the ball out from behind, and hope his team helps recover from his poor effort.

That being said, he definitely increases his level of play during the playoffs. This is likely what frustrates fans the most. He gets paid 134k each game in the regular season to do a job. Why he chooses some nights to give 100% and some nights not to is beyond me. If he did, he'd be hands down the best PG in the game. Instead he is just in the running. I definitely have left the idea of trading him because you'd never get equal value for him, however I sure wish the guy had as much pride in his effort as an NBA player ought to. I don't expect 82 straight games of 100%, however lazy defense should be the exception, not the usual.

You don't know the difference between an "undeniable fact" and an opinion.  Don't worry, it's a common problem.  You're not alone.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

While Rondo's defense hasn't been his best it's still been pretty good. But I think much of the criticism of Rondo's defense is based on his not defending in the style posters personally wish that he did. I always see things like "He chooses to gamble in passing lanes" as if he's not supposed to. He creates a lot of havoc for opposing teams when he "gambles in the passing lanes". I don't think it's the case that Doc tells Rondo to stick to his man like glue and not cheat into the passing lanes, but a lot of people think that how well he sticks to his man is the only way to measure how well he defends.

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 02:27:40 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Tell this to the All NBA first defensive award committee.

Ok yes hes lazy, but not in the national spotlight. on National broadcast and in the playoffs he steps it up. Last night was pretty pathetic though, Barea had two wide open layups back to back and Rondo was nowhere in sight.

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
  While Rondo's defense hasn't been his best it's still been pretty good. But I think much of the criticism of Rondo's defense is based on his not defending in the style posters personally wish that he did. I always see things like "He chooses to gamble in passing lanes" as if he's not supposed to. He creates a lot of havoc for opposing teams when he "gambles in the passing lanes". I don't think it's the case that Doc tells Rondo to stick to his man like glue and not cheat into the passing lanes, but a lot of people think that how well he sticks to his man is the only way to measure how well he defends.

Seriously, if every player on the team had his defense scrutinized the way Rondo does, fans would be sorely disappointed and surprised at some of the lapses - including KG's. It happens. Nobody's perfect. Rondo's defense is very good to great overall.

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 02:46:51 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Ok yes hes lazy, but not in the national spotlight. on National broadcast and in the playoffs he steps it up. Last night was pretty pathetic though, Barea had two wide open layups back to back and Rondo was nowhere in sight.

Barea was coming off of picks and going directly to the hoop. There's no chance any point guard is going to come off the pick behind Barea and end up in front of him in the time it takes him to get from the three point line to the hoop.

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Barea was coming off of picks and going directly to the hoop. There's no chance any point guard is going to come off the pick behind Barea and end up in front of him in the time it takes him to get from the three point line to the hoop.

Barrea is also quick as lightning.