Author Topic: Pros and Cons of trading Paul for Pau  (Read 7445 times)

Re: Pros and Cons of trading Paul for Pau
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 10:07:53 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 10:13:53 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Paul Pierce in the 2012 playoff series against Miami

(1) 18.0ppg on 34.4% shooting from the field and 26.3% from three. 43.5% TS%.
(2) Only 4.4 rebounds per game in 40 minutes a night (39.9mpg)
(3) 2.3 assists per game vs 2.4 turnovers per game
(4) 1.4 steals per game, 0.7 blocks per game

Picking the one series against Lebron James really validates your argument  ::) Its not like he had a bum knee or anything. Pau's 12 and 8 strikes fear into opponents heart. Pau Gasol barely shot respectively 43% in 2012 playoffs, and 42% in 2011 playoffs woooooo EAST soo scared.

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 10:17:33 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

he was playing on a Strained MCL and against Lebron james....if it was the regular season he wouldnt have played with that injury

a Healthy Pierce and those stats are totally different.

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Not the greatest series vs MIA..I was off a bit in my earlier comments, admittedly.

But I just don't see a scenario where Pau would help us vs MIA.

We'd need to stay small, get Jeff to continue playing consistently, and I'd bet that Paul would have a better series vs MIA.

Miamis weakness has been playing against teams that bully them downlow and in the paint. Playing small to "match up" against Miami is exactly what they want because they are quicker and more athletic.

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 10:31:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Paul Pierce in 2011 playoff series against Miami

(1) 19.6ppg on 45.5% shooting from the floor and 40.7% from three. 57% TS%.
(2) 5.6 rebounds per game in 37.6 minutes per game
(3) 3.0 assists per game vs 2.9 turnovers per game
(4) 0.8 steals per game and 0.4 blocks per game

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 10:34:43 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

Not the greatest series vs MIA..I was off a bit in my earlier comments, admittedly.

But I just don't see a scenario where Pau would help us vs MIA.

We'd need to stay small, get Jeff to continue playing consistently, and I'd bet that Paul would have a better series vs MIA.

Miamis weakness has been playing against teams that bully them downlow and in the paint. Playing small to "match up" against Miami is exactly what they want because they are quicker and more athletic.

And Pau Gasol is that bully? I hope you didn't mix the two Gasols up. The tough gritty one is in Memphis.

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 10:46:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Trading Paul for Pau means Paul likely retires a Laker. I don't indulge in much homerism, but when I do, it's absolute. This is a bridge too far.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 10:52:56 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Trading Paul for Pau means Paul likely retires a Laker. I don't indulge in much homerism, but when I do, it's absolute. This is a bridge too far.

Agreed. Not to mention its a bad trade. Jason Terry becomes our best crunch time scorer here.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 01:46:27 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well, this will be another thread I haven't nor will read any posts.  Complete nonsense.

I will say this though.  The only thing trading Paul for Pau would accomplish is causing KG to immediately retire, and possibly burn down the TD Garden in the way out.

Please, put down the drink.

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 02:33:54 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 08:24:43 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I think trading Paul Pierce for Pau Gasol makes Boston a better overall team but ... I am not sure it helps the Celtics against Miami specifically.

Against the rest of the league, it's a good upgrade for the team.

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Why do the Lakers do this?

Apparently Minnesota has offered D. Williams and Pekovic for Pau and Toronto has dangled a package of Bargnani and Calderon.  Either of those trades make a lot more sense for L.A. than Paul Pierce does.  Total pipe dream in this thread.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 10:34:57 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Why do the Lakers do this?

Apparently Minnesota has offered D. Williams and Pekovic for Pau and Toronto has dangled a package of Bargnani and Calderon.  Either of those trades make a lot more sense for L.A. than Paul Pierce does.  Total pipe dream in this thread.

(1) I thought the Toronto rumour was that Brian Colangelo hasn't made that offer. That he has been unwilling to put Andrea Bargnani on the table. The rumour was just a few journalists saying they think that would be a fair offer rather than actual trade talks.

I would seriously question how much interest Toronto would have in an older player like Pau Gasol at this stage. Their roster is too weak. Too far away. It would have made a lot of sense if they landed Nash in the summer but not now.

Edit: My mistake. There are reports of Toronto having trade talks with LA. The previous reports I had seen hadn't said that. My bad.

(2) I don't think Pekovic has much value to the Lakers due to Dwight Howard. Pekovic would be wasted in a 10-12 minute a night role as Dwight's backup. If they could trade Pekovic onto a third team and pickup a player that better suits their roster, then maybe that holds good value for LA.

Derrick Williams is a big unknown. I imagine there is a lot of disparity between various teams evaluations of him given his struggles to date. If the Lakers are high on Williams, I think he has more value than Pierce because Williams can be a long term piece alongside Dwight. If not, I think the package falls apart quickly.

(3) I think Pierce has very good value to LA because he is still a top five SF and they are a win-now roster. Pierce can function well alongside a ball-dominant PG like Nash as well as an interior presence like Dwight and a wing like Kobe due to his well-rounded game and excellent jump-shooting. The Lakers have major problems at that SF spot with Artest and friends. Bringing in somebody like Pierce would be a massive upgrade for the team.

A Lakers team with Pierce is better than a Lakers team with Pau Gasol because he better complements Nash, Kobe and Dwight Howard.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:25:39 AM by Who »

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The whole idea of trading Paul Pierce, particularly for another short window, "win now" piece like Pau gives me a headache.  Really, I just can't wrap my head around it. 

There are just too many variable, the least of which being whether or not Pierce is the heart and soul of this team (maybe its KG, maybe its Rondo...but it may just be Pierce), and taking him away could take away the heart which has helped them be as good as they are the last few years, and continue to rise, every time people count them for dead.

I am not saying I wouldn't do the deal, and I am not saying I would.  I just would rather not have to deal with the emotional and mental anguish of this debate, unless it were more solidly on the horizon (or, in fact, a done deal).  But that's just me.

It's not quite as complicated as you make it out to be. If winning is the most important goal, which it should be to any fan and team, then the intent should be to put the best team on the court.

If that means trading Pierce, then goodbye. Sentimentally is for soap operas like All My Children, NOT in sports.

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 12:03:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
For a couple years the Celtics might be better, as Gasol is aging right behind Pierce. The window would be short as well. 

But OMG, not worth the torture of seeing Paul wearing Gold and Purple. .... :-[    holy cow ...pass the puke bucket.

Overall there probally is as many flaws in this for the Lakers as for Celtics .

The Deal they proablly want is Josh Smith for Gasol.  .... NO WAY , if I'm the Hawks.