Author Topic: Pros and Cons of trading Paul for Pau  (Read 7436 times)

Re: Pros and Cons of trading Paul for Pau
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

We'd get bigger with Pau, but a frontline of Pau and KG is not beating MIA.

Seraphin alone beats Miami yesterday
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 07:21:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Paul Pierce in the 2012 playoff series against Miami

(1) 18.0ppg on 34.4% shooting from the field and 26.3% from three. 43.5% TS%.
(2) Only 4.4 rebounds per game in 40 minutes a night (39.9mpg)
(3) 2.3 assists per game vs 2.4 turnovers per game
(4) 1.4 steals per game, 0.7 blocks per game

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 07:39:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Not the greatest series vs MIA..I was off a bit in my earlier comments, admittedly.

But I just don't see a scenario where Pau would help us vs MIA.

We'd need to stay small, get Jeff to continue playing consistently, and I'd bet that Paul would have a better series vs MIA.

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 07:54:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Not the greatest series vs MIA..I was off a bit in my earlier comments, admittedly.

We'd need to stay small, get Jeff to continue playing consistently, and I'd bet that Paul would have a better series vs MIA.
I'm not so sure Pau wouldn't help against Miami.  they wouldn't be able to cover the KG/Pau combo.  Bosh can only play against one of them and each is his equal.  The other would eat up Anthony/Haslem.  when either came out, the other could still be in the game and therefore keep pressure on Miami to keep Bosh in the game to contend with them.  The bench for the C's frontcourt becomes Bass, Wilcox and Sully which is far superior to what Miami has to offer.

They can't really do anything with Rondo.  Bron would have to contend with Green who's taller.  Bron as the PF wouldn't work to well if KG or Pau is his counterpart.  Put either in the post on offense and then have them back off Bron in the halfcourt to make him a jump shooter--they'd each be able to block him on a drive.

Bradley/Lee on Wade/Ray would work pretty well.

The one concern I'd have is Green is not the offensive or defensive player that PP is.  PP is at least able to make Bron work on D.  I think Bron would have a pretty light workload guarding Green.

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I'm not so sure Pau wouldn't help against Miami.  they wouldn't be able to cover the KG/Pau combo.  Bosh can only play against one of them and each is his equal.  The other would eat up Anthony/Haslem.  when either came out, the other could still be in the game and therefore keep pressure on Miami to keep Bosh in the game to contend with them.  The bench for the C's frontcourt becomes Bass, Wilcox and Sully which is far superior to what Miami has to offer.

They can't really do anything with Rondo.  Bron would have to contend with Green who's taller.  Bron as the PF wouldn't work to well if KG or Pau is his counterpart.  Put either in the post on offense and then have them back off Bron in the halfcourt to make him a jump shooter--they'd each be able to block him on a drive.

Bradley/Lee on Wade/Ray would work pretty well.

The one concern I'd have is Green is not the offensive or defensive player that PP is.  PP is at least able to make Bron work on D.  I think Bron would have a pretty light workload guarding Green.

Good points..but I don't think that either Pau or KG can guard Bosh during a series right now. Either one could guard him in stretches, but Bosh lives on the perimeter and he's a slasher.

I'd feel more comfortable with Jeff Green on Bosh than either Pau or KG, to be honest. He's only giving up an inch, and he's just as big (235).

With MIA now featuring Ray Allen in their offense, I wouldn't want to get any bigger, IMO.

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 08:14:36 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
If Ainge wanted to trade Paul he'd be vilified by the Boston Faithful.

I'd rather stick with Pierce, give these badboys one last run for Banner 18.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 08:19:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I like to think I'm one of the least sentimental folks on this board... so I'll start us off here.

Pros: Trading Paul for Pau would make us a better team.  Since Shaq hobbled off the court, our biggest weakness has been size next to KG.  Pau Gasol is still a fantastic basketball player. I understand people think he's washed up and having a bad season.  I imagine he just hates playing on that team right now.  They keep talking about trading him... TRIED to trade him last year... and Kobe Bryant badmouths him publicly (telling him to put on his "big boy" pants).  Kobe has some nerve... Pau Gasol essentially carried Kobe to two titles and this is how Kobe repays him?  I still see Gasol as a top 5 big man in the game.

Take last year for instance.  Statistically (despite playing with Kobe and Bynum) he still was the 8th best player in the league.  Averages of 17.4 points, 10.4 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.3 blocks with 50% shooting.  He's 32 years old (4 years younger than KG)  ... I could easily see him averaging 20 and 10 for a team.

I see Jeff Green as our 4th best player.  He's a starting SF.  He should be playing the SF position.  We are paying him starters money.  Trading Pierce for Pau frees up Jeff to start.  We'd have two 7 footers and a 6'9 SF.  It would make us a better team than we are today.

CONS: Seeing Pierce in Laker gold would make me vomit. I couldn't stomach it at all.  It would be too painful.  I'd hate to ship him out.  Despite the fact it WOULD improve the team, I'm not sure how KG and Rondo would react to it.

Cons: It's a stretch to say that Pau carried Kobe to two titles, and it's also a stretch to say that, statistically, Pau was the 8th best player in the league last year. You're going with efficiency on nba.com, which isn't the be all and end all of stats. But even using that, he was outside the top 20 in efficiency/48min and he was outside the top 30 in PER. His numbers have dropped significantly over the last two years and there's no guarantee they'll shoot back up, and he's unhealthy to boot. Also, not having PP will be pretty painful against the Heat in the playoffs and we'd be pretty thin at sf.

Pros: It will help with the rebounding and overall team size and the team should be better with KG on the bench. Also Green would probably do better with more minutes, although he might be less aggressive with better players on the court with him (Pau over Bass).
Neither is a stretch, Tim.  Gasol carried the Lakers over us in the FInals.  He was dominant.  He's still a top big man in the league.

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 08:28:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Traitor!  JK

Gasol gives us an inside presence but losing the Captain would hurt.   We can't trade PP for him as I see it.  We have never traded a captain type here and I don't see us doing it.

I think Bynum hurt us too, to be honest.

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

but he was playing on 1 knee at that point
as i remember it a big key to us getting to miami series was paul's usual game but he was rebounding great as well

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 09:13:01 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I still see Gasol as a top 5 big man in the game.
+1

I'm a Gasol guy, but I don't think there's anyway he's still top 5. Just by traditional 4 and 5's you'd have to take Howard, Marc, Z-Bo, Dirk, Horford, Chandler, Love and Garnett over him.

Then there's a bunch of guys around, but probably below him like Milsap & Gortat

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:39 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Forgive me if this has been mentioned before:

But what about Gasol for David Lee (whose owed 13, 15 and 15 mil the next three seasons)?

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 09:18:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I still see Gasol as a top 5 big man in the game.
+1

I'm a Gasol guy, but I don't think there's anyway he's still top 5. Just by traditional 4 and 5's you'd have to take Howard, Marc, Z-Bo, Dirk, Horford, Chandler, Love and Garnett over him.

Then there's a bunch of guys around, but probably below him like Milsap & Gortat

Just by traditional 4 and 5's you'd have to take Howard, Marc, Z-Bo, Dirk, Horford, Chandler, Love and Garnett over him.

Those four I am fine with. The other four, nope.

I would also Bosh onto the yes list. So I have Pau as top 6.

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 09:21:32 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
no pros

and dont let them con us in to a janky trade like that

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 09:39:23 PM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
   I've never been against trading Pierce or anyone else if it's the right deal that makes us better now and in the future.   Call me cold blooded, I root for laundry.  I want to see the Celtic's maintain this surge since 2007-08 and if that means dealing the Captain of KG or anyone else then so be it.

IMO this isn't that deal.  Pau Gasol, although very skilled and probably being misused in LA right now doesn't help us with our soft interior enough to deal Pierce IMO. 

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 09:53:17 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
LarBrd33, you just can't help but stir the pot.   

But this is over the top,