Author Topic: Yeah, I wish we still had Perkins...  (Read 16555 times)

Re: Yeah, I wish we still had Perkins...
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 11:46:16 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Not my money so yup and even if it was id rather give Perkins the money than Jeff green

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 11:48:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Cavaliers MADE THE FINALS with Larry Hughes as their STARTING point guard.

That alone made him worth his contract.

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 11:53:30 AM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
It still baffles me to this day that the Cavs chose to sign Hughes over Joe Johnson that offseason, and for more money. I just never understood that. 

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 11:55:25 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Larry Hughes was a very underrated player that suffered from bad shot selection and way too many injuries. He still had a high basketball IQ and played well until going to the Bulls in 07 and dropping off the face of the earth.

Best season; Averaged 22 points 6 boards 5 assists and 3 steals a game in 61 games for the Wizards in 04 - 05 who were 45 and 37 and made it to the Eastern Conference Semis.

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 12:04:40 PM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
If I were a GM I would always steer clear of players who put up career numbers in contract years.

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Larry Hughes was a very underrated player that suffered from bad shot selection and way too many injuries. He still had a high basketball IQ and played well until going to the Bulls in 07 and dropping off the face of the earth.

Best season; Averaged 22 points 6 boards 5 assists and 3 steals a game in 61 games for the Wizards in 04 - 05 who were 45 and 37 and made it to the Eastern Conference Semis.
I know you love yourself some Perkins, but you're going to try and defend Larry Hughes (and his contract from the Cavs)?

He had his career year in his contract year and never again approached that level of production. He was passed around like most bad contracts are, from team to team as ballast for a different bad contract to make things work.

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 12:13:54 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

I know you love yourself some Perkins, but you're going to try and defend Larry Hughes (and his contract from the Cavs)?

He had his career year in his contract year and never again approached that level of production. He was passed around like most bad contracts are, from team to team as ballast for a different bad contract to make things work.

Yes I love me some Perkins. But I love Green as well. I think Green is a better player I just think Perkins fits our team better and we would be better with him.

As for Hughes I am in no way trying to defend his contract from the Cavs. It was an absurd contract. All Im am saying is that as a player, I think Hughes gets a bad wrap. Like I said bad shot selection and suffered from injury after injury after injury.

Comparable to Baron Davis for me even though Davis better. Both great talents, both lazy, both injury prone, somewhat dumb at points, but man can they play and turn it on when they want to.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:19:45 PM by pearljammer10 »

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Perkins is damaged goods and not the same player that ship has sailed.

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 12:49:34 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Remember when the trade was initially made and it came out that Ainge had asked for Harden before Green, but Presti wouldn't give up Harden.  Ainge knew then which player was better.  I'm surprised he settled for Green.  He should have nixed the deal.  In the end, Green's been useless, Perk is on a championship contender, and Presti got rid of Harden anyway.

Pierce has never been the kind of leader that rallies the young guys and gets everyone together.  I admire his work in the community and he is The Captain of the team, but the people that wrote that no one is calling Pierce at night to talk things out are right.  Pierce isn't that type of leader.

KG is soft without a big with attitude behind him.  Yeah, I said it.  Perkins's toughness allowed KG to be who he was.  When Perk was traded, the two O'Neals were brought in to supply that, but neither did.  Now we're stuck with Rondo sticking up for KG.  Can you imagine how many rows deeper into the stands Perk would have driven Humphries?

I miss Perk.  At least he boxes out his man.

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Remember when the trade was initially made and it came out that Ainge had asked for Harden before Green, but Presti wouldn't give up Harden.  Ainge knew then which player was better.  I'm surprised he settled for Green.  He should have nixed the deal.  In the end, Green's been useless, Perk is on a championship contender, and Presti got rid of Harden anyway.

Pierce has never been the kind of leader that rallies the young guys and gets everyone together.  I admire his work in the community and he is The Captain of the team, but the people that wrote that no one is calling Pierce at night to talk things out are right.  Pierce isn't that type of leader.

KG is soft without a big with attitude behind him.  Yeah, I said it.  Perkins's toughness allowed KG to be who he was.  When Perk was traded, the two O'Neals were brought in to supply that, but neither did.  Now we're stuck with Rondo sticking up for KG.  Can you imagine how many rows deeper into the stands Perk would have driven Humphries?

they got rid of harden BECAUSE of perk. Perks 9/mill per limited them in what they could offer Harden. you really think they don't want a do over on that one?

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 01:07:09 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Jeff green is worse and a worse fit. Perkins helps the thunder greatly as evidenced by article in op

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I think he was overrated for a long time due to that one fluke year.

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

they got rid of harden BECAUSE of perk. Perks 9/mill per limited them in what they could offer Harden. you really think they don't want a do over on that one?

TP for edward. You hit the nail on the head. Plus I think Harden was gone whether Perk was there or not the Thunder never wanted to give Harden a max contract. Without Harden or Martin's contracts (not including Perks either), the Thunder are already at the cap without any additions. Ibaka, Westbrook, and Durant make up for 46 million between the three of them.

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

And this statement right here sums up how OKC feels about Perk.

The fact, that instead of amnestying Perk they traded Harden, says a lot.  Obviously it doesn't mean Perk is better than Harden, but that what Harden was giving them was more easily replaced through trade then what Perk brings.  Maybe OKC would like to be paying less for Perk, but they need his interior defense and toughness.

The vast majority of the quality big men are out west.  Perk is NOT GETTING AMNESTIED.  People really need to stop peddling the false statement, as if it has a shred of truth.  It's bogus.

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Jeff green is worse and a worse fit. Perkins helps the thunder greatly as evidenced by article in op

Yes, I often contemplate amnestying players who are  vital to my ball club.  ::)

He's a decent player for them, not near the player they thought they were getting when they traded for him, and certainly not worth 10 million on thier cap next year.

again, 2007-2010 Perk, sign me up.

Post ACL reconstruction perk - sign me up only at a much reduced cap hit

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion