Author Topic: Yeah, I wish we still had Perkins...  (Read 16525 times)

Re: Yeah, I wish we still had Perkins...
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 01:46:59 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Not necessarily Perkins himself, but a guy like Perkins
Big, physical body, who can rebound and set good screens

Just hope people don't think Perkins was so special as a player, and was the main reason Celtics won the title in 2008. Please oh please I hope not

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 02:03:57 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
...even if we would have overpaid to keep him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kendrick-perkins-soothes-egos--resolves-issues-in-thunder-locker-room-071044932.html

This is just another story about how Perkins helps out his team and teammates.

Doc and KG sure helped shape a good young man who is growing into a useful intelligent veteran.

Miss 'ya, Perk.

You do realize that he is arguably the worst starting C in the entire league, right?

And a bonafide Dwight and Bynum stopper.

No other center does THAT better.

That fact alone pretty much guarantees OKC's ticket is punched to the finals once again.

With all the respect in the world, Perkins ain't stopping anyone.

The excuse used to be that "this guy is a bad matchup for perk because he's too long and mobile and athletic."

Right now everyone is a bad matchup for perk. How would Perkins defend chris bosh on single coverage? Good luck with that.

But Perk wouldn't be on Bosh in single coverage - Serge would. OKC has always matched Perk up with the slowest big. And even with that he's not as immobile as you believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHVszkaxZf4

And for all of Perk's supposed issues, he's still starting for one of the best teams in the NBA.

I guess Presti still has some faith in him.

Who is the slowest big on the Miami heat if you put ibaka on bosh?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 07:08:40 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I must say, I can not help but laugh when someone uses cumulative stats to quantify Perk's performance, or, contributions.  His overall numbers will never look great, or likely, even good.

Then why do we even use stats at all?  Why do we use them to evaluate Ryan Hollins or Greg Stiesma?  Or - GASP - Jeff Green? 

Why not just use our own biased opinions about one player, because we are know-it-alls?  Make it all subjective, let's throw every stat out the window.

Why is Kendrick Perkins the exception to the rule that every other NBA or professional athlete is held to?

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 07:30:09 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
I must say, I can not help but laugh when someone uses cumulative stats to quantify Perk's performance, or, contributions.  His overall numbers will never look great, or likely, even good.

Then why do we even use stats at all?  Why do we use them to evaluate Ryan Hollins or Greg Stiesma?  Or - GASP - Jeff Green? 

Why not just use our own biased opinions about one player, because we are know-it-alls?  Make it all subjective, let's throw every stat out the window.

Why is Kendrick Perkins the exception to the rule that every other NBA or professional athlete is held to?

Have a TP sir.

I love how stats dont lie when they're evaluating Jeff Green, but when it comes to Perk, he does immeasurable things.

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2012, 07:47:25 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
yeah that Perkins guy will be totally useless in the west playoffs against guys like Tim Duncan, Zach Randolph, Dwight Howard and others..just put Nick Collison on them :-X

oh wait...

perk is a perfect fit with okc and his post defense will be extremely vital if the thunder want to make it back to the finals.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:57:05 AM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2012, 07:49:33 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Have a TP sir.

I love how stats dont lie when they're evaluating Jeff Green, but when it comes to Perk, he does immeasurable things.

uh yeah that's because Jeff green doesn't bring anything that doesn't show up on the stat sheet and Perkins does? gee

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2012, 07:15:52 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen

Have a TP sir.

uh yeah that's because Jeff green doesn't bring anything that doesn't show up on the stat sheet and Perkins does? gee

Pretty convenient that there's no way to prove that.  :P

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2012, 07:19:12 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I wish the Celtics had the 2009 version of Perkins, the 2008 version of Posey, etc.

Those players aren't the same and haven't been for a long time.

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2012, 07:56:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Not necessarily Perkins himself, but a guy like Perkins
Big, physical body, who can rebound and set good screens

oh , you mean like Darko ? 

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2012, 08:12:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Darko????  Now that was funny I didn't realize it was April's Fools Day.

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2012, 08:16:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Darko????  Now that was funny I didn't realize it was April's Fools Day.

Yup. that big strong tuff defense minded fellow about Perks size

I guess if Doc had wanted a Perk back he'd played Darko.

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2012, 01:06:29 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I wish the Celtics had the 2009 version of Perkins, the 2008 version of Posey, etc.

Those players aren't the same and haven't been for a long time.

TP for you sir.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2012, 03:27:37 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Perkins is a bum.
Nothing more to it.
He'll be traded with their 1st round pick from Houston and the Lamb kid+their own first round pick for Anderson Verajao  soon enough.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2012, 06:38:08 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
Ive been saying this and beatin this dead horse since the trade. Hated the trade then, hated the trade in the middle, still greatly hate the trade now. Perkins was our attitude, our chemistry, and a leader in our brotherhood. Loosing him was the Celtics biggest mistake of the last few years.

He's been injured and generally awful at 9 million a year since the trade. 2008 Perk is dead and buried, ever since he blew out that knee in 2010 he's been a shell of his former self. What makes you think that's any different had he stayed? our amazing medial staff  ???

I know people get nostalgic, and JG certainly isn't a knock out for us, but lets ask OCK how they feel about their 9 million dollar a year center.

oh, you want to amnistiy him you say? he doesn't see the floor late in games in favor of collision?

I have no desire to get perk back unless they toss in a dolorian that takes him back to pre knee injury, or he gets bought out and comes cheap.

JG is way better than Perkins and though not a steal still came at a cheap price considering his potential. He will be more than servicable in the year. I thought you were one of the few who supported jeff but i guess the influence of the board has gotten to you as well. I still believe he will be an all star maybe not this year but next year.

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2012, 06:39:41 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
Ive been saying this and beatin this dead horse since the trade. Hated the trade then, hated the trade in the middle, still greatly hate the trade now. Perkins was our attitude, our chemistry, and a leader in our brotherhood. Loosing him was the Celtics biggest mistake of the last few years.

He's been injured and generally awful at 9 million a year since the trade. 2008 Perk is dead and buried, ever since he blew out that knee in 2010 he's been a shell of his former self. What makes you think that's any different had he stayed? our amazing medial staff  ???

I know people get nostalgic, and JG certainly isn't a knock out for us, but lets ask OCK how they feel about their 9 million dollar a year center.

oh, you want to amnistiy him you say? he doesn't see the floor late in games in favor of collision?

I have no desire to get perk back unless they toss in a dolorian that takes him back to pre knee injury, or he gets bought out and comes cheap.

Jeff green has been more consistently injured and generally more awful and needs to be mentored as opposed to being a mentor. He deserves more than Jeff green. Id rather have him then Jeff green.

at 9 million per? you'd rather have a defensive center who can no longer jump, which has limited him defensively?

In what way is that better?

I love perk, if he gets bought out/ amnistied by the thunder count me in for a cheap contract, but this whole "man, if we had perk we'd be a much tougher team inside" is a flawed argument.

Would they be tougher? sure, they can't get any softer, but for 9 million a year? no thanks. he wasen't worth that pre injury, and certainly isn't worth in with how he currently plays.

I would absolutely take it. I think Perk would have singed here for a little less, but look at any starting center in the league not on a rookie contract. They are pretty much all at or above 8 mil a year while most are making 10+ millions a year. Desagna Diop has a 7 mil expiring this year. For a center, thats the going rate. Overpriced? Yes. But it fills a needs.

True centers are hard to come by. Especially one who brings so much to your team off the court, in the locker room, and to your defense. When a teammates is trusted by your veterans, no matter how terrible they are on the offensive end, that plays a huge difference in the whole scheme of things. Back up swing men playing a reserve role are a lot easier to sign and are usually a lot cheaper.

At the time, and currently, we needed/need a player who can come in to play 15 minutes a game behind Pierce. Green fits the role terribly. Guys like Josh Howard, Matt Barnes, Peitrus, Corey Brewer etc... all would have done the job perfectly, and were all at one point available for us to obtain somehow. Green playing 15 - 20 minutes a game isn't going to benefit anyone from my eyes.

Matt barnes is horrible. There is a reason he was undrafted and jeff green is a top 5 pick and getting paid. the owners and managers see more to jeff beyond his box score.