Author Topic: Yeah, I wish we still had Perkins...  (Read 16542 times)

Re: Yeah, I wish we still had Perkins...
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 01:38:26 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

they got rid of harden BECAUSE of perk. Perks 9/mill per limited them in what they could offer Harden. you really think they don't want a do over on that one?

And this statement right here sums up how OKC feels about Perk.

The fact, that instead of amnestying Perk they traded Harden, says a lot.  Obviously it doesn't mean Perk is better than Harden, but that what Harden was giving them was more easily replaced through trade then what Perk brings.  Maybe OKC would like to be paying less for Perk, but they need his interior defense and toughness.

The vast majority of the quality big men are out west.  Perk is NOT GETTING AMNESTIED.  People really need to stop peddling the false statement, as if it has a shred of truth.  It's bogus.

No, they didn't amnesty him, according to sources, because while they'd get him off the cap, you still have to pay him the contract. There owner didn't want to pay the balance of the contract AND have to pay Harden + a replacement big man.

amnestying a guy isn't a get out of jail free card, it just removes the cap hit.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 01:40:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

they got rid of harden BECAUSE of perk. Perks 9/mill per limited them in what they could offer Harden. you really think they don't want a do over on that one?

The fact, that instead of amnestying Perk they traded Harden, says a lot.  Obviously it doesn't mean Perk is better than Harden, but that what Harden was giving them was more easily replaced through trade then what Perk brings.  Maybe OKC would like to be paying less for Perk, but they need his interior defense and toughness.

The vast majority of the quality big men are out west.  Perk is NOT GETTING AMNESTIED.  People really need to stop peddling the false statement, as if it has a shred of truth.  It's bogus.

Im throwing out another TP this time to you! Exactly. This is the point I was trying to make about Jeff Green not filling a role here. We easily could have put Josh Howard, Corey Brewer, other names Ive mentioned, in his role, kept Perk, and have been much better off the past couple years.

Best post Ive seen all day.

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 01:43:15 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

No, they didn't amnesty him, according to sources, because while they'd get him off the cap, you still have to pay him the contract. There owner didn't want to pay the balance of the contract AND have to pay Harden + a replacement big man.

amnestying a guy isn't a get out of jail free card, it just removes the cap hit.

I know what the amnesty provision entails.

I'm telling you it doesn't matter.  OKC has never had any intentions of using it on Perk.  NONE!

The only talk ther has ever been, to my knowledge, were some unsubstantiated rumors put forth by random TV talking heads and bloggers.  OKC values Perk's contributions very much.

Perk might not be what he once was, but he still fulfills a very specific and difficult to fill role.  Intetior defenders are not easy to come by, not at his level.

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Perkins is damaged goods and not the same player that ship has sailed.

Jeff green is worse and a worse fit. Perkins helps the thunder greatly as evidenced by article in op

Yes, I often contemplate amnestying players who are  vital to my ball club.  ::)

He's a decent player for them, not near the player they thought they were getting when they traded for him, and certainly not worth 10 million on thier cap next year.

again, 2007-2010 Perk, sign me up.

Post ACL reconstruction perk - sign me up only at a much reduced cap hit

can I get some proof they contemplated amnestying Perkins or is this based on bloggers and bill Simmons ideas?
Hes better and would be better for us than Jeff green

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I thought Harden was traded because he wanted to be payed max money and the Thunder wanted to pay him third star money. 

If they had not offered him a big contract, I could see Perk being the reason he was traded.

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 02:44:47 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This sums up everything I think about Perk. From an article today at YahooSports. (via hoopshype).

In victory and defeat, the ball belongs to the NBA's two best 20-something scorers and everyone else is left to sort through the scraps of shots. "I get phone calls at all hours of the night from different teammates," Perkins told Yahoo Sports. "And I've got to tell them: OK, you didn't get yours tonight but… " Perkins told Yahoo! Sports. "So OK, take Serge [Ibaka]. I'll tell him, "OK man, you got seven points tonight, then you need to go get eight blocks. Some nights it's not going to be your night, where you can touch the ball. It's like that on this team, especially when you've got scorers like Russ, K.D. and Kevin Martin leading the league in scoring."

And the biggest one:

Within the Thunder organization, they understand Perkins' value extends far beyond the modest statistics. These Thunder are undergoing the natural evolution of a rising power, where shots and minutes are rubbing egos the wrong way. Perkins plays the part of traffic cop, counseling in ways significant and slight. Yahoo! Sports

Like KGsKnee said earlier... They weren't planning on Amnestying a player like Perk. And Ill say it again, we havent been the same since Perk left.

And for good measure this was part of the article too.

Ask him about playing those months in excruciating pain, and he shrugs and grumbles and says, "That groin injury, it was definitely… Ah, I don't like to make excuses, but … that groin injury was definitely a pain in the ass." For everyone else suggesting these Thunder will go to the Finals for years to come, that this young core will go on for years and years, Perkins simply says, "I was there when we lost 18 in a row in Boston. I'll never take this for granted."

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 05:02:17 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
...even if we would have overpaid to keep him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kendrick-perkins-soothes-egos--resolves-issues-in-thunder-locker-room-071044932.html

This is just another story about how Perkins helps out his team and teammates.

Doc and KG sure helped shape a good young man who is growing into a useful intelligent veteran.

Miss 'ya, Perk.

You do realize that he is arguably the worst starting C in the entire league, right?

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

No, it says that Presti had to manage his cap according to the owners' requirements, and that meant letting Harden go.  I am sure he proposed amnestying Perkins to the owners, who then said "wait, you want us to pay him $9M to NOT play?" and then said "NO." 

There is no doubt in my mind Presti regrets the Perk signing, but he had to sign him.  It was too much to give up for a Perk rental.

Having Dwight Howard on the Lakers has made Perkins more valuable to OKC, not doubt.  But he is still a horrifically overpaid player for what he does on the court.

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
It's pretty crazy we went from the "biggest" team that season to now one of the smallest and softest.

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 05:36:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Great hands, though.

;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 05:38:39 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kendrick-perkins-soothes-egos--resolves-issues-in-thunder-locker-room-071044932.html

Doc and KG sure helped shape a good young man who is growing into a useful intelligent veteran.

Miss 'ya, Perk.

You do realize that he is arguably the worst starting C in the entire league, right?

And a bonafide Dwight and Bynum stopper.

No other center does THAT better.

That fact alone pretty much guarantees OKC's ticket is punched to the finals once again.

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 06:16:50 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Miss 'ya, Perk.

That fact alone pretty much guarantees OKC's ticket is punched to the finals once again.

With all the respect in the world, Perkins ain't stopping anyone.

The excuse used to be that "this guy is a bad matchup for perk because he's too long and mobile and athletic."

Right now everyone is a bad matchup for perk. How would Perkins defend chris bosh on single coverage? Good luck with that.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2012, 07:00:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Miss 'ya, Perk.

With all the respect in the world, Perkins ain't stopping anyone.

The excuse used to be that "this guy is a bad matchup for perk because he's too long and mobile and athletic."

Right now everyone is a bad matchup for perk. How would Perkins defend chris bosh on single coverage? Good luck with that.

But Perk wouldn't be on Bosh in single coverage - Serge would. OKC has always matched Perk up with the slowest big. And even with that he's not as immobile as you believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHVszkaxZf4

And for all of Perk's supposed issues, he's still starting for one of the best teams in the NBA.

I guess Presti still has some faith in him.

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 12:53:48 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Again, people understand that Kendrick Perkins can't rebound, pass, dribble or play offense right? And he's getting a lot of money to do that?

He hasn't had an above average PER since 2009-2010. Above average while getting paid between 8-10 mill a year.

His TRB% is 11 percent - a career low, and an embarrassment for a starting center. That's awful.

And for all of Perk's supposed issues, he's still starting for one of the best teams in the NBA.

I don't know why we don't resign Sasha or Larry Hughes then. They're not "supposed" issues. They're issues. A starting center who is a liability on one end of the floor, can't rebound and has bad knees has issues.

Yeah, because Andrew Bynum and Dwight Howard are causing so many headaches for defenses this year.

Perk might not be what he once was, but he still fulfills a very specific and difficult to fill role.  Intetior defenders are not easy to come by, not at his level.

A. Perkins is not the defender he used to be.
B. His role is actually fairly easy to fill.  The defense is marginally better on the court with him on it - it gives up 103 drtg with him off the floor - 102 with him on it. Offensively? OKC has an 111 ortg, compared to a 116 with him off it. Perkins is a net negative for the Thunder. On top of that, he doesn't rebound. He's a liability in two facets of the game - offensively and rebounding. Say what you want about Green - yes, he disappears. But he's not a liability in the way Perkins is now.

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 01:33:58 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I must say, I can not help but laugh when someone uses cumulative stats to quantify Perk's performance, or, contributions.  His overall numbers will never look great, or likely, even good.

There are a few reasons for this.  First, yes, he just isn't as good as he was before the knee injury.  Second, there are not a large number of teams with "big" centers.  Many teams use PFs to masquerade as centers.

None of that matters once you are in the playoffs, going aganst guys like Howard, Marc Gasol, Tim Duncan, Bynum, etc.  Perk is still highly capable of defending these type of centers very well.  Being able to do so, in the playoffs, is worth its weight in gold.  Not many guys can.

Perk earns that $9m paycheck in just a handful of games, the rest of the time, he's just a great "veteran leader".

I'd gladly trade Green for him right now.  OKC wouldn't in a million years though.