Author Topic: Mayo says he didn't kill the trade last year, c's players did?  (Read 8274 times)

Re: Mayo says he didn't kill the trade last year, c's players did?
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
As an aside, fun splits from Courtney Lee

In wins = 36% field goal percentage and 18% from three
In losses = 55% field goal percentage and 46% from three

Not a lucky charm ...

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think Courtney Lee's trade value has changed at all.

He has been in the league for 4 years and has long track record of productive play. On three different teams at that including Orlando when he was a starter on a team that went to the Finals.

A little blip here in Boston won't change how highly teams rate him. They know what Courtney Lee can do and what he can't do. A small little blip doesn't change that.

I agree with this.  But my point is, Danny isn't going to just decide to trade him, based on how he has played this year.  He is going to trade him, because another team is going to ask for him (or, they aren't).

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think this is spin. Mayo wants to look like a good guy being interviewed by the Boston media. Maybe he was all set to come here but that does not mean he agreed to sign an extension here, which might have gave the Celtics pause
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2012, 07:00:39 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I can see Ainge not wanting future FA KG to become alienated if they traded Ray Allen last season.

Too bad, because Ray Allen actually went  out of his way to weaken the Celtics on his way to Miami, by not asking for value and forcing a S and T there when it was clear he wanted to leave Boston.

No wonder KG took his leaving so hard.  There's no doubt the Cs would be a stronger team if they made the Mayo trade.  Also, Miami could be a weaker team if Allen did go to Memphis last year and liked it enough to re-up there. 

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
I think there are some crazy jumping to conclusions here. #1, we're assuming Mayo isn't lying to look good to the Boston media....or isn't being a little less honest than possible (maybe he didn't kill the trade, but might have said he wouldn't sign a long-term deal with Boston). #2, we're assuming KG is the main "culprit" in killing the deal - Mayo wasn't playing great and Ray was not hobbled at the time...and it seemed unlikely that Ray would leave the team if we gave him the best offer. It might very well be the case that Ainge and Doc, along w/ some consultations with the players, decided to not pull the trigger. Or...as previously reported, that Mayo blocked the trade (either by refusing it, or refusing to sign an extension - which I could understand, as this was maybe his big payday and being a role player in Boston wasn't going to pad his numbers any).

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2012, 08:35:44 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think this is spin. Mayo wants to look like a good guy being interviewed by the Boston media. Maybe he was all set to come here but that does not mean he agreed to sign an extension here, which might have gave the Celtics pause

Why call and tell a player, a future hall of famer, he’s been traded to another team, before issues like those have been settled?

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
I hope “It’s bush league...” Gary Tanguay reads this story.

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2012, 08:57:25 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford

...although (and I hate to re-open this discussion, but it seems relevant), this does make the fact that Ray left being seen as such an affront by people in the front office, as well as players, make a lot more sense.  If a couple of those guys stood up for Ray last year, and Danny and Doc gave in, to make Ray and the others happy...I can see why they were not happy with him going to Miami during the summer.

I was going to make the same point, but you are right. Looks like Ray is an even bigger trader now after his teammates stuck up for him and killed the deal.

I still don't think he is a traitor (this is why I hated to bring it up), because this is all about perception.  Unless Ray said to Danny that he shouldn't trade him, because he wants to finish his career in Boston, then I can't put that much on Ray.

As I recall, in one of Ray’s interviews he gave shortly before the season started, when he addressed this subject and Danny’s phone call telling him he was traded, he said Danny asked him how he felt about it, and he replied he wanted to stay in Boston.