Author Topic: C's recall Fab Melo from D-league  (Read 8284 times)

Re: C's recall Fab Melo from D-league
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Wilcox is not a center. He is a power forward.

Considering his limitations, he is doing a fine job as a makeshift backup center for Boston and better than anyone else on the roster can.

While you are not wrong, a large portion of the "center" minutes across the league are played by power forwards these days.  So, it makes it a little less relevant.
I disagree

Starters = all players starting at center are legitimate centers.

Backup centers = I'd say one third of the primary backup centers are power forwards playing out of position.

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2012, 04:06:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Considering his limitations, he is doing a fine job as a makeshift backup center for Boston and better than anyone else on the roster can.

While you are not wrong, a large portion of the "center" minutes across the league are played by power forwards these days.  So, it makes it a little less relevant.
I disagree

You disagree that there are PFs playing center, or that it matters?

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I disagree

You disagree that there are PFs playing center, or that it matters?

Sorry, I edited that post to add on this

Starters = all players starting at center are legitimate centers.

Backup centers = I'd say one third of the primary backup centers are power forwards playing out of position.

I disagree that there are a large number of power forwards playing center.

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2012, 04:50:22 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
It was only a medical reset.....back to the D league..!

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2012, 05:21:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
You may not have completely made up that number about the average center averaging 2.5 blocks per 48 minutes, but it sounds pretty far fetched to me.  Who knows? Maybe the Dwight Howards, Roy Hibberts, and Javale McGees of the league skew the numbers enough so that's true. 

Last season, 36 players listed as a C or C-F by basketball-reference.com played at least 30 games averaging at least 10 minutes per game. 

2.5 blocks/48 translates to 1.875 blocks/36.  Last season, that would have been between the 17th (Nazr Mohammed) and 18th (Marc Gasol) of the 36 players who fit the criteria.

Looking at a couple of past seasons, that seems close to the median shot-blocking performance by centers.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference