Author Topic: Yeah, I wish we still had Perkins...  (Read 16549 times)

Yeah, I wish we still had Perkins...
« on: December 05, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
...even if we would have overpaid to keep him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kendrick-perkins-soothes-egos--resolves-issues-in-thunder-locker-room-071044932.html

This is just another story about how Perkins helps out his team and teammates.

Doc and KG sure helped shape a good young man who is growing into a useful intelligent veteran.

Miss 'ya, Perk.

Re: Yeah, I wish we still had Perkins...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 10:15:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I read that.  Good reason why the Thunder like him on the team.

It is also something the Celtics do not needs as much because of KG and Pierce. 

(not that I don't miss Perk)

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 10:23:57 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
As bad a contract as Perkins signed, I'd rather pay him than Green that awful contract. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:29:09 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I wish we have Kevin Seraphin - New fan here

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:40:22 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Agreed.....I don't care how many people come here and say what a scrub Perkins is(same people who said we lost a game 7 of the finals because he was hurt) he was like family to this team, was brilliant defensively with kg, was Rondos  best friend and a positive influence on him....and he brought mental and physical toughness period
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:45:51 AM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:48:01 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Ive been saying this and beatin this dead horse since the trade. Hated the trade then, hated the trade in the middle, still greatly hate the trade now. Perkins was our attitude, our chemistry, and a leader in our brotherhood. Loosing him was the Celtics biggest mistake of the last few years.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
I read that.  Good reason why the Thunder like him on the team.

It is also something the Celtics do not needs as much because of KG and Pierce. 

(not that I don't miss Perk)

Eh I don't see young players or rondo calling kg or pierce to vent...that's why dooling was the mentor last season because it use to be Perkins...why else did he and others  go into a shell after the trade?

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Ive been saying this and beatin this dead horse since the trade. Hated the trade then, hated the trade in the middle, still greatly hate the trade now. Perkins was our attitude, our chemistry, and a leader in our brotherhood. Loosing him was the Celtics biggest mistake of the last few years.

I thought the trade made sense at the time. 9 times out of 10 I make that trade. In retrospect it didn't work out for the Celtics. Basically everything that could have gone wrong with that trade from the Cs point of view went wrong. But the odds of that happening were/are small.

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 10:57:15 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

He's been injured and generally awful at 9 million a year since the trade. 2008 Perk is dead and buried, ever since he blew out that knee in 2010 he's been a shell of his former self. What makes you think that's any different had he stayed? our amazing medial staff  ???

I know people get nostalgic, and JG certainly isn't a knock out for us, but lets ask OCK how they feel about their 9 million dollar a year center.

oh, you want to amnistiy him you say? he doesn't see the floor late in games in favor of collision?

I have no desire to get perk back unless they toss in a dolorian that takes him back to pre knee injury, or he gets bought out and comes cheap. 
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 10:59:39 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

He's been injured and generally awful at 9 million a year since the trade. 2008 Perk is dead and buried, ever since he blew out that knee in 2010 he's been a shell of his former self. What makes you think that's any different had he stayed? our amazing medial staff  ???

I know people get nostalgic, and JG certainly isn't a knock out for us, but lets ask OCK how they feel about their 9 million dollar a year center.

oh, you want to amnistiy him you say? he doesn't see the floor late in games in favor of collision?

I have no desire to get perk back unless they toss in a dolorian that takes him back to pre knee injury, or he gets bought out and comes cheap.

Jeff green has been more consistently injured and generally more awful and needs to be mentored as opposed to being a mentor. He deserves more than Jeff green. Id rather have him then Jeff green.

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Jeff green has been more consistently injured and generally more awful and needs to be mentored as opposed to being a mentor. He deserves more than Jeff green. Id rather have him then Jeff green.

Haha yeah, its ironic that in your post you point out Perks injuries but what about the guy who missed and entire season for being injured? Does it say somewhere in Greens old contract that we get a dolorian to give us the 2009 and 2010 Jeff Green?

And Perkins might not be on the floor late in games for the Thunder... During 08 he wasnt in late games for us either. Doc loved using the Posey lineup that year (Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Posey, Garnett) late in games to stretch the floor and turn up the D. He also went to PJ late in games a few times for offense.

The Perk trade lost so much for the celtics, that we will never be able to get back.

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 11:21:18 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

at 9 million per? you'd rather have a defensive center who can no longer jump, which has limited him defensively?

In what way is that better?

I love perk, if he gets bought out/ amnistied by the thunder count me in for a cheap contract, but this whole "man, if we had perk we'd be a much tougher team inside" is a flawed argument.

Would they be tougher? sure, they can't get any softer, but for 9 million a year? no thanks. he wasen't worth that pre injury, and certainly isn't worth in with how he currently plays.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 11:31:58 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Haha yeah, its ironic that in your post you point out Perks injuries but what about the guy who missed and entire season for being injured? Does it say somewhere in Greens old contract that we get a dolorian to give us the 2009 and 2010 Jeff Green?

And Perkins might not be on the floor late in games for the Thunder... During 08 he wasnt in late games for us either. Doc loved using the Posey lineup that year (Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Posey, Garnett) late in games to stretch the floor and turn up the D. He also went to PJ late in games a few times for offense.

The Perk trade lost so much for the celtics, that we will never be able to get back.

This is where I don't understand your argument. I haven't, to my knowledge, ever disagreed with you that Jeff Green is currently a giant bust, so pointing out to me that he sucks doesn't actually do anything to disprove my point. I agree, though I still hold out a fools hope that he will at least become serviceable this year.

but I don't see how that relates to the fact that Perk has ALSO been awful since the trade.

essentially, the trade has been crap for both teams. we got JG, who currently is a huge disapointment. They got a guy who blew out a knee and isn't who they thought they were getting, PLUS it cost them James Harden.

my assertion is not that we "won" the trade, it is that statements like the one i bolded are not factually accurate or supportable. They are based on nostalgia

They rely on the assumption that had perk stayed here and signed the contract he wanted (a huge if, as the celtics were not going to offer him the clownshoes money OKC did.) then he would still be a tough rebounder, shot blocker, and overall defensive anchor.

That perk died in 2010 with his ACL. at the moment he is an average, at best, defensive center. he is clearly limited physically, and he shouldn't be this far removed from the ACL.

Would he be better than what we currently have? sure, what we have sucks. but I don't want him at his absurd contract, and to pretend we'd be getting the Perk from 2007-2010 that we all loved is inaccurate.

If he gets amnestied, as it has been rumored, then im on board for much lower money.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

at 9 million per? you'd rather have a defensive center who can no longer jump, which has limited him defensively?

In what way is that better?

I love perk, if he gets bought out/ amnistied by the thunder count me in for a cheap contract, but this whole "man, if we had perk we'd be a much tougher team inside" is a flawed argument.

Would they be tougher? sure, they can't get any softer, but for 9 million a year? no thanks. he wasen't worth that pre injury, and certainly isn't worth in with how he currently plays.

I would absolutely take it. I think Perk would have singed here for a little less, but look at any starting center in the league not on a rookie contract. They are pretty much all at or above 8 mil a year while most are making 10+ millions a year. Desagna Diop has a 7 mil expiring this year. For a center, thats the going rate. Overpriced? Yes. But it fills a needs.

True centers are hard to come by. Especially one who brings so much to your team off the court, in the locker room, and to your defense. When a teammates is trusted by your veterans, no matter how terrible they are on the offensive end, that plays a huge difference in the whole scheme of things. Back up swing men playing a reserve role are a lot easier to sign and are usually a lot cheaper.

At the time, and currently, we needed/need a player who can come in to play 15 minutes a game behind Pierce. Green fits the role terribly. Guys like Josh Howard, Matt Barnes, Peitrus, Corey Brewer etc... all would have done the job perfectly, and were all at one point available for us to obtain somehow. Green playing 15 - 20 minutes a game isn't going to benefit anyone from my eyes.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

This is where I don't understand your argument. I haven't, to my knowledge, ever disagreed with you that Jeff Green is currently a giant bust, so pointing out to me that he sucks doesn't actually do anything to disprove my point. I agree, though I still hold out a fools hope that he will at least become serviceable this year.

but I don't see how that relates to the fact that Perk has ALSO been awful since the trade.

essentially, the trade has been crap for both teams. we got JG, who currently is a huge disapointment. They got a guy who blew out a knee and isn't who they thought they were getting, PLUS it cost them James Harden.

my assertion is not that we "won" the trade, it is that statements like the one i bolded are not factually accurate or supportable. They are based on nostalgia

They rely on the assumption that had perk stayed here and signed the contract he wanted (a huge if, as the celtics were not going to offer him the clownshoes money OKC did.) then he would still be a tough rebounder, shot blocker, and overall defensive anchor.

That perk died in 2010 with his ACL. at the moment he is an average, at best, defensive center. he is clearly limited physically, and he shouldn't be this far removed from the ACL.

Would he be better than what we currently have? sure, what we have sucks. but I don't want him at his absurd contract, and to pretend we'd be getting the Perk from 2007-2010 that we all loved is inaccurate.

If he gets amnestied, as it has been rumored, then im on board for much lower money.

I could care less about stats. The Thunder MADE THE FINALS with Perk as their STARTING center. That alone makes him worth it.