Author Topic: New Orleans....Pelicans?!?  (Read 18577 times)

Re: New Orleans....Pelicans?!?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 04:22:34 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I actually think it's a pretty good name. I mean, it has to do with the state bird of Louisiana. That's perfectly in sync with what other teams do when they pick or change their nicknames.

As long as they make a sharp-looking identity as far as unis and logos go, they should be okay. What they should not do is make a logo that's cartoonish, a la the Charlotte Hornets. I love that logo but I think it only worked in Charlotte. New Orleans should do a really simple classic logo. Let's hope they don't Thunder Up on us  ;D

They are also changing up the colors to navy, gold and red so they (the Bensons) have a great chance at creating a good business brand that could sell a lot over the years actually, and hopefully keep the Pelicans in New Orleans.

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 04:37:03 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I actually think it's a pretty good name. I mean, it has to do with the state bird of Louisiana. That's perfectly in sync with what other teams do when they pick or change their nicknames.

As long as they make a sharp-looking identity as far as unis and logos go, they should be okay. What they should not do is make a logo that's cartoonish, a la the Charlotte Hornets. I love that logo but I think it only worked in Charlotte. New Orleans should do a really simple classic logo. Let's hope they don't Thunder Up on us  ;D

They are also changing up the colors to navy, gold and red so they (the Bensons) have a great chance at creating a good business brand that could sell a lot over the years actually, and hopefully keep the Pelicans in New Orleans.

Something like this (ignoring the color scheme) would be pretty solid.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 04:47:06 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
I hadn't actually seen that logo before you posted it. Here's a cleaner version:

http://news.sportslogos.net/2012/12/05/source-claims-hornets-to-become-pelicans-in-2013-14/

It's kind of cool because it reminds me of this logo:

But, but, but... Tom Benson will probably choose something completely different. We'll see. Just don't go OKC on us.

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 05:35:23 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
Tom Benson will probably choose something completely different.

sorry to mislead, gentleman, but the logo i posted is from Scott Greci at Guru Design in New Orleans. and like Goth pointed out, it won't be used because it's already out there and they would never pay the guy who made it.

it's some sweet action though. top-shelf work.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/90153-new-orleans-hornets-to-become-pelicans%3B-could-charlotte-readopt-hornets-identity/page__st__140

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 05:44:51 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
they need a cartoony pelican logo.

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2012, 03:31:14 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'm fine with Pelicans, logo looks good and there are a TON of pelicans there.
In a perfect world the new orleans jazz.  Utah salt lakers.  Minnesota Lakers.  Los Angeles eeh who cares

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2012, 04:00:48 PM »

Offline Cassidy122690

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
Pardon the profanity in the title, but it's actually a pretty informative article which has caused me to warm up to the name a bit...

http://deadspin.com/5966336/Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.-you-pelicans-are-awesome-a-defense-of-the-nbas-best-new-team-name
Out of Ireland have we come, great hatred, little room, maimed us at the start. I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic heart.  W.B. Yeats

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2012, 12:09:28 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Im still not a fan, but this article is hilarious. It's in white because of vulgarity in the link...

http://deadspin.com/5966336/****-you-pelicans-are-awesome-a-defense-of-the-nbas-best-new-team-name?tag=new-orleans-pelicans

here's a sample of the article, had me laughing.

It cruises above the water, its eyesight so good that it can see fish beneath the surface from 60 feet up. Then it spirals into a death dive, streaking down upon the unsuspecting prey before it knows what hit it. The last thing that fish ever sees is the light blinking out as the pelican's gaping beak closes around it, and it's swallowed—while still alive.

The pelican will eat as much as four pounds of fish per day, nearly half its body weight. Its bloodlust is insatiable. It wants to kill you and everyone you've ever cared about. Don't believe me? Here's a pelican eating baby ducklings. And because that's not cruel enough, it makes their mother watch.

They're so noble, they're pretty much deities. During times of famine, it was said, the mother pelican would draw her own blood to feed her young, and the early church quickly adopted the pelican as a symbol for the Christ. Do you see anyone worshipping a seahawk? You do not.

EDIT: and thats why you don't just hunt the thread and hit reply like a noob without checking for new posts. TP to you cassidy, and yes the article is highly recommended for hilarity :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:17:38 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2012, 12:21:22 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan

Looks quite majestic, if you ask me. Also, these birds are pretty ferocious.

The more I think about it, I really feel New Orleans went in the right direction with the Pelicans name.

Just. Don't. Screw. Up. The. Logo.

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2012, 12:23:26 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=POTUVc5wD8I

notfor the faint of heart...im warming up to this name.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 09:30:49 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The NBA has filed trademarks for the New Orleans Pelicans, amongst four other potential nicknames on behalf of the New Orleans Hornets NBA Limited Partnership.

The Rougarou, Mosquitos, Swamp Dogs and Bullsharks are the other nicknames that have been filed for trademark.

A swamp dog is a Cajun nickname for an alligator, while Rougarou refers to a beast from Louisiana folklore.

New Orleans will likely adopt a red, blue and gold color scheme.

Via K.L. Chouinard/Behind The Buck Pass

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
They can play this video on the Jumbotron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT7STlVX71A

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
Here's a concept someone did at SportslogosNet (New colors on the right.)

Here's another one by another dude:

Aaaaand another one, by a different guy:

All talk about the intended Pelicans brand being a bad move is obsolete as of this post  ;D

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 05:27:57 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Here's a concept someone did at SportslogosNet (New colors on the right.)

Here's another one by another dude:

Aaaaand another one, by a different guy:

All talk about the intended Pelicans brand being a bad move is obsolete as of this post  ;D

Kinda dig that first one with the red not green. Well done by whomever.