Author Topic: Felger and Tanguay address Rondo's Mexico comment  (Read 11668 times)

Re: Felger and Tanguay address Rondo's Mexico comment
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2012, 01:18:14 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Fair enough crownsy....I just think they're stronger about the rondo vitriol and I find it hard to listen too... the tipping point was Maxwell on weei at the same time speaking on the matter and actually making sense and connecting personal experiences he had with red... I don't need an anti rondo and Nba schtixk anymore

Come on. You should take Felger with a grain of salt but you should also be taking Max, Grande, Tommy, Dickerson with spoon fulls of salt

Uh agree on Tommy or dickerson but not Max sorry.... hes objective. just the week prior he took the stance against rondo and going back in the Detroit game. He stood up for rondo the sticking up for his team and said red would have too. Thats enough for me.

I also realize felger gets on everyone from different sports....he doesn't disrespect them as men and call them immature. Rondo is mature for his age as ive said before... hes done things on the court that make him a jerk maybe but hes never been in trouble off it, revolves his life around basketball, team, staying healthy, business ventures and charitty work...hes twice as mature as pierce or kg at 26...as felger would say...fact not opinion....he wouldn't call out anyone else for standing up to a bigger guy to stick up for your team sorry

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Fair enough crownsy....I just think they're stronger about the rondo vitriol and I find it hard to listen too... the tipping point was Maxwell on weei at the same time speaking on the matter and actually making sense and connecting personal experiences he had with red... I don't need an anti rondo and Nba schtixk anymore

Come on. You should take Felger with a grain of salt but you should also be taking Max, Grande, Tommy, Dickerson with spoon fulls of salt

Uh agree on Tommy or dickerson but not Max sorry.... hes objective. just the week prior he took the stance against rondo and going back in the Detroit game. He stood up for rondo the sticking up for his team and said red would have too. Thats enough for me.

I also realize felger gets on everyone from different sports....he doesn't disrespect them as men and call them immature. Rondo is mature for his age as ive said before... hes done things on the court that make him a jerk maybe but hes never been in trouble off it, revolves his life around basketball, team, staying healthy, business ventures and charitty work...hes twice as mature as pierce or kg at 26...as felger would say...fact not opinion....he wouldn't call out anyone else for standing up to a bigger guy to stick up for your team sorry

Felger has called plenty of other guys immature, and much worse. 

He has been pretty brutal to Beckett for instance, and has railed on Marchand for being immature for doing kind of the same type of stuff Rondo got suspended for. 

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Felger has called plenty of other guys immature, and much worse. 

He has been pretty brutal to Beckett for instance, and has railed on Marchand for being immature for doing kind of the same type of stuff Rondo got suspended for.

Thank you, saved me some typing. TP

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2012, 01:48:56 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
Never heard him call anyone else immature....he was right about beckett...never called him immature to my knowledge.....never called marchand immature to my knowledge either he doesn't like his flopping....completely different then sticking up for a teammate. My problem is with that specific word...I think its misplaced with rondo because hes young and has an attitude. Like ive also said before kgs chest pounding, screaming on the Jumbotron, constantly cursing and cheapshots...for his age or any id consider that immature....rondo has no emotion a straight face says little to nothing and is a little guy with an edge who stood up to a bigger player..... hes never been in trouble, never blamed anyone for anything, never demanded trades and took a discount contract to stay here. Dwight Howard is immature...hell lebron and his decision...immature.

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2012, 01:51:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Never heard him call anyone else immature....he was right about beckett...never called him immature to my knowledge.....never called marchand immature to my knowledge either he doesn't like his flopping....completely different then sticking up for a teammate. My problem is with that specific word...I think its misplaced with rondo because hes young and has an attitude. Like ive also said before kgs chest pounding, screaming on the Jumbotron, constantly cursing and cheapshots...for his age or any id consider that immature....rondo has no emotion a straight face says little to nothing and is a little guy with an edge who stood up to a bigger player.....

You're basing it on your own opinion. 

Personally, I think Rondo WAS immature, and has acted immature a lot over his career.

And yes, Felger has definitely called Marchand immature.  When he got suspended last year, he railed on him for being stupid and immature. 

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
Never heard him call anyone else immature....he was right about beckett...never called him immature to my knowledge.....never called marchand immature to my knowledge either he doesn't like his flopping....completely different then sticking up for a teammate. My problem is with that specific word...I think its misplaced with rondo because hes young and has an attitude. Like ive also said before kgs chest pounding, screaming on the Jumbotron, constantly cursing and cheapshots...for his age or any id consider that immature....rondo has no emotion a straight face says little to nothing and is a little guy with an edge who stood up to a bigger player.....

Personally, I think Rondo WAS immature, and has acted immature a lot over his career.

And yes, Felger has definitely called Marchand immature.  When he got suspended last year, he railed on him for being stupid and immature.

Fair enough....I see him as mature well well beyond his years...hes done some stupid things here and there because of his edgy competiveness...same as kg who no one around here would call a non leader. This isnt young Paul pierce type immaturity.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:01:24 PM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Fair enough....I see him as mature well well beyond his years...hes done some stupid things here and there because of his edgy competiveness...same as kg who no one around here would call a non leader.

Well, I think this is where it gets into a very personal definition of maturity...which is where it gets hairy. 

Personally, I think Rondo is still immature(in basketball related things...I have no clue about him outside the public eye), because he has not learned to control his emotions.  He lets them get in the way to the point that they affect his team in a negative way.  To me (and I think to Felger) that is a sign of immaturity.

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2012, 02:09:38 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Fair enough....I see him as mature well well beyond his years...hes done some stupid things here and there because of his edgy competiveness...same as kg who no one around here would call a non leader.

Well, I think this is where it gets into a very personal definition of maturity...which is where it gets hairy. 

Personally, I think Rondo is still immature(in basketball related things...I have no clue about him outside the public eye), because he has not learned to control his emotions.  He lets them get in the way to the point that they affect his team in a negative way.  To me (and I think to Felger) that is a sign of immaturity.

I don't think this specific one did effect them negatively honestly I think there's a case for the opposite similar to how a team reacts when a coach is ejected. He put a personal record on the line to stick up for a teammste. I also think he learned and models his attitude after kgs....the guy praised for leadership but also has been ejected from playoff games, suspended for elbows and gotten on all four and barked at point guards.

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't think Rondo was really immature, just a young player living under a microscope.

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2012, 02:52:32 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Some people just don't like the NBA.
True, but its annoying when someone turns not liking a sport into a "values" judgment on its players.

Athletes across all sports are incredibly entitled, I think if you paint one as being "more" you're deluding yourself.
Extremely true. Still doesn't make his comments racist
Explictly no, but I've heard similar statements from MLB/NHL fans about NFL/NBA often enough that it makes me less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. (not to mention the politcal world were "values" type coding is more prevelant)

But that's mostly because even I see him on a limited basis since I'm not in the Boston area he's an annoying talking head. I'll happily assume the worst about him, skip bayless, etc...

The thing is though, Hockey players do carry themselves differently than other pro athletes in the US, on the whole.  I actually think it is a Canadian thing.  There are still plenty of **** hockey players (and Felger bashes on them...like Ovechkin...all the time).

But the fact is, if you look at an interview with a pro basketball or football player, and then an interview with a pro hockey player, chances are, you are going to come away thinking the hockey player is more humble and polite.  Its a cultural thing for the sport, or maybe where the majority of the athletes are from.
My brother in law worked security at the Garden for years. His assessment was always that the B's players were nice guys and the Celtics players were jerks.

He's Hispanic so I doubt his assessment is based on race.

I have a family friend who works for the c's and says they are all scumbags but I usually try to ignore that since im not privi to all details.

Im sure that's a pro sports thing anyway tho
Interesting, cause I know a guy who worked at the four seasons and saw them multiple times a year and said they are all pretty nice dudes, especially KG and Paul.

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

You must have a very interesting take on the meaning of immature.

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Mazz is generally a good guy, but I really can't help thinking that there's more than a little racism in Felger's passionate hating on NBA players and the sport in general.  Tanguay is, as you say, just a narcissist who will do anything to get attention and approval.
Dude i honestly feel kind of the same way about felger. Theres a little undercurrent of anomosity towards black folks from him IMO.

My feeling is that when you hear guys like Felger talk about how the NBA is full of "entitled" and "spoiled" athletes who want everything their own way and how its such a "star driven league" and that's a bad thing, then they extol the virtues of the NHL where everybody is a "hard worker" and has "grit" and "character," it's hard not to see the code language of race at play.

I think you are taking it way overboard with these "race" comments. A lot of what he says about the NBA is true to.

Is there anyone in sports who act more entitled than the poster boys of the NBA Dwight Howard and Lebron James?

Are those players entitled or spoiled?  Sure they are.  But athletes in every sport are like that.  It's just a matter of how obvious it is.  The NBA is much more noticeable because they actually market the stars as the main focus of the show.

It's on the NBA that things are the way they are, not the players.  But it's much easier for a guy like Felger to focus on the players.  Why?  Race.  Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but the language he uses about it often seems loaded. 

It's the same way that white players in the NBA are usually talked about as being "hard working" and "making the most of their talent" whereas highly talented black guys like LeBron are "supremely gifted" and have to "grow up" and "mature." To overcome their basic nature, in other words.  Code language.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 03:11:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Because hispanic people can't be racist?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 03:13:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Some people just don't like the NBA.
True, but its annoying when someone turns not liking a sport into a "values" judgment on its players.

Athletes across all sports are incredibly entitled, I think if you paint one as being "more" you're deluding yourself.
Extremely true. Still doesn't make his comments racist
Explictly no, but I've heard similar statements from MLB/NHL fans about NFL/NBA often enough that it makes me less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. (not to mention the politcal world were "values" type coding is more prevelant)

But that's mostly because even I see him on a limited basis since I'm not in the Boston area he's an annoying talking head. I'll happily assume the worst about him, skip bayless, etc...

The thing is though, Hockey players do carry themselves differently than other pro athletes in the US, on the whole.  I actually think it is a Canadian thing.  There are still plenty of **** hockey players (and Felger bashes on them...like Ovechkin...all the time).

But the fact is, if you look at an interview with a pro basketball or football player, and then an interview with a pro hockey player, chances are, you are going to come away thinking the hockey player is more humble and polite.  Its a cultural thing for the sport, or maybe where the majority of the athletes are from.
My brother in law worked security at the Garden for years. His assessment was always that the B's players were nice guys and the Celtics players were jerks.

I have a family friend who works for the c's and says they are all scumbags but I usually try to ignore that since im not privi to all details.

Im sure that's a pro sports thing anyway tho
Interesting, cause I know a guy who worked at the four seasons and saw them multiple times a year and said they are all pretty nice dudes, especially KG and Paul.

I've heard better things about KG than PP.

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Within the past year, on a program Tanguay was on, someone said little league baseball isn’t as popular as it used to be in the country, and Tanguay said Lacrosse (nothing against Lacrosse) could become more popular than little league baseball.