Author Topic: Felger and Tanguay address Rondo's Mexico comment  (Read 11701 times)

Re: Felger and Tanguay address Rondo's Mexico comment
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 09:28:41 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Some people just don't like the NBA.
True, but its annoying when someone turns not liking a sport into a "values" judgment on its players.

Athletes across all sports are incredibly entitled, I think if you paint one as being "more" you're deluding yourself.
Extremely true. Still doesn't make his comments racist
Explictly no, but I've heard similar statements from MLB/NHL fans about NFL/NBA often enough that it makes me less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. (not to mention the politcal world were "values" type coding is more prevelant)

But that's mostly because even I see him on a limited basis since I'm not in the Boston area he's an annoying talking head. I'll happily assume the worst about him, skip bayless, etc...

The thing is though, Hockey players do carry themselves differently than other pro athletes in the US, on the whole.  I actually think it is a Canadian thing.  There are still plenty of **** hockey players (and Felger bashes on them...like Ovechkin...all the time).

But the fact is, if you look at an interview with a pro basketball or football player, and then an interview with a pro hockey player, chances are, you are going to come away thinking the hockey player is more humble and polite.  Its a cultural thing for the sport, or maybe where the majority of the athletes are from.

In the vast majority of interviews that I see with NBA players, I end up liking that player.  I guess it is a cultural thing. 

As to Tanguay and Felger, what a couple of clowns.  They actually looked embarrassed at themselves about the garbage they were spewing in that piece.

I didn't know Rondo went to Mexico to watch the games.  Cool!

Really? The vast majority of interviews you come out liking the player?

Maybe I just can't get Dwight, Wade, Melo, Lebron out of my head

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 09:34:44 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Some people just don't like the NBA.
True, but its annoying when someone turns not liking a sport into a "values" judgment on its players.

Athletes across all sports are incredibly entitled, I think if you paint one as being "more" you're deluding yourself.
Extremely true. Still doesn't make his comments racist
Explictly no, but I've heard similar statements from MLB/NHL fans about NFL/NBA often enough that it makes me less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. (not to mention the politcal world were "values" type coding is more prevelant)

But that's mostly because even I see him on a limited basis since I'm not in the Boston area he's an annoying talking head. I'll happily assume the worst about him, skip bayless, etc...

The thing is though, Hockey players do carry themselves differently than other pro athletes in the US, on the whole.  I actually think it is a Canadian thing.  There are still plenty of **** hockey players (and Felger bashes on them...like Ovechkin...all the time).

But the fact is, if you look at an interview with a pro basketball or football player, and then an interview with a pro hockey player, chances are, you are going to come away thinking the hockey player is more humble and polite.  Its a cultural thing for the sport, or maybe where the majority of the athletes are from.

In the vast majority of interviews that I see with NBA players, I end up liking that player.  I guess it is a cultural thing. 

As to Tanguay and Felger, what a couple of clowns.  They actually looked embarrassed at themselves about the garbage they were spewing in that piece.

I didn't know Rondo went to Mexico to watch the games.  Cool!

Really? The vast majority of interviews you come out liking the player?

Maybe I just can't get Dwight, Wade, Melo, Lebron out of my head

Yeah, really, even Lebron, completely despite myself, I usually can't help thinking he comes across as a pretty good guy.  I generally don't dislike Melo when I hear him talk, either.

Dwight Howard, on the other hand, I think that guy has some serious issues.  I used to like Dwayne Wade, but I just think that every time I see him now, I'm too influenced by my own fury over his takedown of Rondo in the 2011 playoffs to ever be able to not have a deep, permanent grudge against him. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 10:11:03 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
My problem with Felger as far as the NBA goes is that he rips the Celtics for a lot of things that are more of an NBA problem than a Celtics problem.

If he's going to like any NBA team it has the be the Celtics. Great coach (who he loves), a bunch of team first guys, one if the greatest teammates ever in KG, and a defense first team.

He's always complaining about it being a star league, no defense, so if you hate that stuff you should like the Celtics.

He did have a gripe with KG and Rondo walking off the court last year and gave scott brooks and OKC credit for shaking hands etc when they lost. That was a legitimate IMO

Well, its also important to remember that he is a Bucks fan.  He grew up in Wisconsin, and stays loyal to his team.  I respect that.  And I personally enjoy seeing the contrast of him to some of the die hard C's fans on there.  It makes for entertaining arguments.

Agreed except for their stances on rondo....if this was a player they liked they would spin it in apositive light,a turning point, sticking up for teammates.....no they call him immature and a non leader....I'm just so sick of that, no other player in town in any sport gets called that for worse or similar actions....was dusting pedroia called immature and a bad leader when he rebelled against his manager? Was david ortiz called immature when he charged the mound in recent years? Will the patriots be mocked when they run up the score to obtain individual records? If a hockey player did the same thing he'd have a pants tent

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 10:38:03 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

But the fact is, if you look at an interview with a pro basketball or football player, and then an interview with a pro hockey player, chances are, you are going to come away thinking the hockey player is more humble and polite.
Really?  All I can think of when watching NHL interviews is how often they say "uh, ya know."  It's hardly noticeable, but once you know it's there and you're listening for it you want to claw out your ears every 2 seconds (I just picked a random video below).

If anything I come away thinking hockey players are less intelligent.  NBA players typically get on the mic and say whatever comes to mind, whether it's foul language or ignorance, salmon and mashed potatoes or Michael F-ing Jordan, doesn't matter.  I find the Canadians take interviews much slower and actually calculate what they're going to say.  Obviously cultural differences, but I wouldn't say I pick up more politeness and humility.  I'd go with they're more relaxed.  The general public is more polite but I wouldn't extend that to their athletes purely from interviews I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH34X7FTgWg
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:44:32 AM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
My problem with Felger as far as the NBA goes is that he rips the Celtics for a lot of things that are more of an NBA problem than a Celtics problem.

If he's going to like any NBA team it has the be the Celtics. Great coach (who he loves), a bunch of team first guys, one if the greatest teammates ever in KG, and a defense first team.

He's always complaining about it being a star league, no defense, so if you hate that stuff you should like the Celtics.

He did have a gripe with KG and Rondo walking off the court last year and gave scott brooks and OKC credit for shaking hands etc when they lost. That was a legitimate IMO

Well, its also important to remember that he is a Bucks fan.  He grew up in Wisconsin, and stays loyal to his team.  I respect that.  And I personally enjoy seeing the contrast of him to some of the die hard C's fans on there.  It makes for entertaining arguments.

Agreed except for their stances on rondo....if this was a player they liked they would spin it in apositive light,a turning point, sticking up for teammates.....no they call him immature and a non leader....I'm just so sick of that, no other player in town in any sport gets called that for worse or similar actions....was dusting pedroia called immature and a bad leader when he rebelled against his manager? Was david ortiz called immature when he charged the mound in recent years? Will the patriots be mocked when they run up the score to obtain individual records? If a hockey player did the same thing he'd have a pants tent

Just in the interest of fairness, because I listen to them all the time on the drive home;

was dusting pedroia called immature and a bad leader when he rebelled against his manager?

Yes, they were all over him for the picture and his conduct. Both of them are on record as calling pedroia a non-leader, that he doesn't have that kind of personality. Mazz is of the opinion that he's a good player but out of his depth as a team leader.

Was david ortiz called immature when he charged the mound in recent years?

Not for charging the mound, but the get on him pretty good whenever he complains about his money, which is often. They also called him a knucklehead for his antics the last 2 years barging into press conferences, taking vield shots at teammates ect.

If a hockey player did the same thing he'd have a pants tent

Again, theres no denying Mike like hockey and hates basketball, though I'm not one of the posters in this thread that is implying liking hockey and disliking basketball makes you  sneaky racist. Thats just a situation where people are looking to be offended to me.

But as to this specific comment, he gets on hockey guys, even on bruins guys. Lucic, marshand, segin, thomas, all those guys get criticized. They only person on the bruins he has a unabated mancrush on is tukka.

I mean Mike's certainly playing up his gimmick, but I think he's generally a smart guy. what keeps people listening/watching is while his opinions are contrarian to a fault, he usually can back them up, which is something Skip bayless and their Ilk cant. people like to argue with him.

Gary's just a tool with a voice for radio who agrees with whatever dominant host is in the room with him, I hope to god he doesn't get the Celtics Play by Play job, which he seems to be campaigning for. 
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Fair enough crownsy....I just think they're stronger about the rondo vitriol and I find it hard to listen too... the tipping point was Maxwell on weei at the same time speaking on the matter and actually making sense and connecting personal experiences he had with red... I don't need an anti rondo and Nba schtixk anymore

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I don't like people who take cheap shots from their safe, lofty position behind the mike. 
I find it cowardly.  Felger would p--- his pants if he had to confront face to face all the athletes' he's taken a dump on. 

I realize it's entertainment.  But it's not my kind. 

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
What did Rondo say?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I was amazed to find out the other day that Felger and Mazz are on CSN from 2 - 6 o clock every freakin weekday.

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 12:12:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I don't like people who take cheap shots from their safe, lofty position behind the mike. 
I find it cowardly.  Felger would p--- his pants if he had to confront face to face all the athletes' he's taken a dump on. 

So no commentator is allowed to be critical of a player unless that player gets a chance to punch him out?

What is this, 9th grade?

Rondo makes millions of dollar a year to play basketball, I'm sure he could care less what local radio hosts think of his leadership abilities.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 12:16:01 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
the only problem i have with rondo going after humphries is that he didnt punch his lights out.  enough of the pushing crap  ;)

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2012, 12:38:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I understand this, and I agree to a point.  But its just their job.  Sadly, that is what sells on sports radio (and Sports Tonight is an offshoot of sports radio). 

But its definitely not for everyone. 

I used to like sports radio a lot more, but over the last few years the schtick has gotten really old.  But there are still a ton of people who LOVE it. 

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
Fair enough crownsy....I just think they're stronger about the rondo vitriol and I find it hard to listen too... the tipping point was Maxwell on weei at the same time speaking on the matter and actually making sense and connecting personal experiences he had with red... I don't need an anti rondo and Nba schtixk anymore

Come on. You should take Felger with a grain of salt but you should also be taking Max, Grande, Tommy, Dickerson with spoon fulls of salt

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2012, 12:46:41 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

Just in the interest of fairness, because I listen to them all the time on the drive home;

was dusting pedroia called immature and a bad leader when he rebelled against his manager?

Yes, they were all over him for the picture and his conduct. Both of them are on record as calling pedroia a non-leader, that he doesn't have that kind of personality. Mazz is of the opinion that he's a good player but out of his depth as a team leader.

Was david ortiz called immature when he charged the mound in recent years?

Not for charging the mound, but the get on him pretty good whenever he complains about his money, which is often. They also called him a knucklehead for his antics the last 2 years barging into press conferences, taking vield shots at teammates ect.

If a hockey player did the same thing he'd have a pants tent

Again, theres no denying Mike like hockey and hates basketball, though I'm not one of the posters in this thread that is implying liking hockey and disliking basketball makes you  sneaky racist. Thats just a situation where people are looking to be offended to me.

But as to this specific comment, he gets on hockey guys, even on bruins guys. Lucic, marshand, segin, thomas, all those guys get criticized. They only person on the bruins he has a unabated mancrush on is tukka.

I mean Mike's certainly playing up his gimmick, but I think he's generally a smart guy. what keeps people listening/watching is while his opinions are contrarian to a fault, he usually can back them up, which is something Skip bayless and their Ilk cant. people like to argue with him.

Gary's just a tool with a voice for radio who agrees with whatever dominant host is in the room with him, I hope to god he doesn't get the Celtics Play by Play job, which he seems to be campaigning for.

Thank you for answering that.

He gets on the hockey guys all the time too. He rips on Lucic and his playoff success.

He calls Marshand Marshmon (or whatever) even when Marshand made it known that he doesn't want or like to be called that. He pretty much ripped the Bruins organization apart before winning the cup.

He's ripped Brady and Belicheck.

I think its stupid when he rips on garnet for screaming or pumping his chest but at least with Rondo he has a legitimate point unless of course you are talking to Tommy or Max