Author Topic: Felger and Tanguay address Rondo's Mexico comment  (Read 11667 times)

Re: Felger and Tanguay address Rondo's Mexico comment
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
You took the bait of two entertainers. Pay them no mind

Exactly.  This thread is why they have their jobs.  Well, Felger anyways, Tanguay is an idiot who rides the coattails of competent shockjocks. 

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Some people just don't like the NBA.
True, but its annoying when someone turns not liking a sport into a "values" judgment on its players.

Athletes across all sports are incredibly entitled, I think if you paint one as being "more" you're deluding yourself.

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
True, but its annoying when someone turns not liking a sport into a "values" judgment on its players.

Athletes across all sports are incredibly entitled, I think if you paint one as being "more" you're deluding yourself.
Extremely true. Still doesn't make his comments racist

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 09:07:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Explictly no, but I've heard similar statements from MLB/NHL fans about NFL/NBA often enough that it makes me less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. (not to mention the politcal world were "values" type coding is more prevelant)

But that's mostly because even I see him on a limited basis since I'm not in the Boston area he's an annoying talking head. I'll happily assume the worst about him, skip bayless, etc...

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 09:07:50 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Felger is a contrarian.  The only reason he likes Hockey, is because the rest of the town ignored it.  When the Bruins were actually playing well, suddenly he become the most critical person in the city AGAINST the B's, and was calling for Claude's head up until he was hoisting the cup.

When people start hating the C's, you will see him turn the other way on them too.

Its his schtick.  It's not racism, its just going against what everyone else is saying, to make an entertaining argument. 

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 09:09:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Felger is a contrarian.  The only reason he likes Hockey, is because the rest of the town ignored it.  When the Bruins were actually playing well, suddenly he become the most critical person in the city AGAINST the B's, and was calling for Claude's head up until he was hoisting the cup.

When people start hating the C's, you will see him turn the other way on them too.

Its his schtick.  It's not racism, its just going against what everyone else is saying, to make an entertaining argument.
Well at least he doesn't have a national TV show where he talks about Tim Tebow 30 minutes a day then.

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 09:11:27 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Explictly no, but I've heard similar statements from MLB/NHL fans about NFL/NBA often enough that it makes me less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. (not to mention the politcal world were "values" type coding is more prevelant)

But that's mostly because even I see him on a limited basis since I'm not in the Boston area he's an annoying talking head. I'll happily assume the worst about him, skip bayless, etc...

The thing is though, Hockey players do carry themselves differently than other pro athletes in the US, on the whole.  I actually think it is a Canadian thing.  There are still plenty of Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. hockey players (and Felger bashes on them...like Ovechkin...all the time).

But the fact is, if you look at an interview with a pro basketball or football player, and then an interview with a pro hockey player, chances are, you are going to come away thinking the hockey player is more humble and polite.  Its a cultural thing for the sport, or maybe where the majority of the athletes are from.

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 09:13:10 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Well at least he doesn't have a national TV show where he talks about Tim Tebow 30 minutes a day then.

Oh man, he LOVED Tebow.  A guy with "intangibles" who everyone thought would fail?  That's Felgers sweetspot. 

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 09:16:41 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The thing is though, Hockey players do carry themselves differently than other pro athletes in the US, on the whole.  I actually think it is a Canadian thing.  There are still plenty of **** hockey players (and Felger bashes on them...like Ovechkin...all the time).

But the fact is, if you look at an interview with a pro basketball or football player, and then an interview with a pro hockey player, chances are, you are going to come away thinking the hockey player is more humble and polite.  Its a cultural thing for the sport, or maybe where the majority of the athletes are from.
My brother in law worked security at the Garden for years. His assessment was always that the B's players were nice guys and the Celtics players were jerks.

He's Hispanic so I doubt his assessment is based on race.

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:19 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

The thing is though, Hockey players do carry themselves differently than other pro athletes in the US, on the whole.  I actually think it is a Canadian thing.  There are still plenty of **** hockey players (and Felger bashes on them...like Ovechkin...all the time).

In the vast majority of interviews that I see with NBA players, I end up liking that player.  I guess it is a cultural thing. 

As to Tanguay and Felger, what a couple of clowns.  They actually looked embarrassed at themselves about the garbage they were spewing in that piece.

I didn't know Rondo went to Mexico to watch the games.  Cool!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 09:18:47 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
My problem with Felger as far as the NBA goes is that he rips the Celtics for a lot of things that are more of an NBA problem than a Celtics problem.

If he's going to like any NBA team it has the be the Celtics. Great coach (who he loves), a bunch of team first guys, one if the greatest teammates ever in KG, and a defense first team.

He's always complaining about it being a star league, no defense, so if you hate that stuff you should like the Celtics.

He did have a gripe with KG and Rondo walking off the court last year and gave scott brooks and OKC credit for shaking hands etc when they lost. That was a legitimate IMO

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 09:22:06 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

My brother in law worked security at the Garden for years. His assessment was always that the B's players were nice guys and the Celtics players were jerks.

I've never met your brother-in-law so I'm certainly not going to make any assumptions about him and his views, but I think it's extremely naive to think that a person can't have racist attitudes because he is Hispanic. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 09:22:25 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

And the thing is, it may have nothing to do with how these guys are in private.  But I really think as kids come up in hockey (particularly if they go through the juniors in Canada), they are taught a certain way to act in public.  Its about being respectful and curteous to others.  It is kind of similar to the military.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these guys are jerks in private, but they just have been trained to hide that in public.

I don't think you get that culture in basketball. 

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 09:24:17 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
My problem with Felger as far as the NBA goes is that he rips the Celtics for a lot of things that are more of an NBA problem than a Celtics problem.

If he's going to like any NBA team it has the be the Celtics. Great coach (who he loves), a bunch of team first guys, one if the greatest teammates ever in KG, and a defense first team.

He's always complaining about it being a star league, no defense, so if you hate that stuff you should like the Celtics.

He did have a gripe with KG and Rondo walking off the court last year and gave scott brooks and OKC credit for shaking hands etc when they lost. That was a legitimate IMO

Well, its also important to remember that he is a Bucks fan.  He grew up in Wisconsin, and stays loyal to his team.  I respect that.  And I personally enjoy seeing the contrast of him to some of the die hard C's fans on there.  It makes for entertaining arguments. 

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 09:25:13 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

I have a family friend who works for the c's and says they are all scumbags but I usually try to ignore that since im not privi to all details.

Im sure that's a pro sports thing anyway tho