Author Topic: Felger and Tanguay address Rondo's Mexico comment  (Read 11670 times)

Re: Felger and Tanguay address Rondo's Mexico comment
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2012, 03:26:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Within the past year, on a program Tanguay was on, someone said little league baseball isn’t as popular as it used to be in the country, and Tanguay said Lacrosse (nothing against Lacrosse) could become more popular than little league baseball.

I have heard this elsewhere, and I think it is not far off, at least in certain towns.  I am not sure if it is only in certain areas of the state, or if it has gone beyond that, but I do know there are areas where it is an incredibly fast growing sport that is taking over as a dominant spring sport. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:32:01 PM by Chris »

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2012, 03:41:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Within the past year, on a program Tanguay was on, someone said little league baseball isn’t as popular as it used to be in the country, and Tanguay said Lacrosse (nothing against Lacrosse) could become more popular than little league baseball.

I have heard this elsewhere, and I think it is not far off, at least in certain towns.  I am not sure if it is only in certain areas of the state, or if it has gone beyond that, but I do know there are areas where it is an incredibly fast growing sport that is taking over as a dominant spring sport.

It's pretty heavily based in New England, but yes.

Anyway, while I understand the job these guys have to perform, I have a very low interest in what any Athlete does off the court, or how they measure up as human beings. The human interest stories are nice, but at the end of the day, these guys put a ball through a hoop/in a net/in the endzone, and they do it better than the 99.9999% of the rest of the world. I don't need them to be Nobel Prize recipients.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
I think Mazz is generally a good guy, but I really can't help thinking that there's more than a little racism in Felger's passionate hating on NBA players and the sport in general.  Tanguay is, as you say, just a narcissist who will do anything to get attention and approval.
Dude i honestly feel kind of the same way about felger. Theres a little undercurrent of anomosity towards black folks from him IMO.

My feeling is that when you hear guys like Felger talk about how the NBA is full of "entitled" and "spoiled" athletes who want everything their own way and how its such a "star driven league" and that's a bad thing, then they extol the virtues of the NHL where everybody is a "hard worker" and has "grit" and "character," it's hard not to see the code language of race at play.
Or it could be that Felger grew up in Wisconsin and is a huge hockey and NHL fan and was never really exposed to the NBA and good basketball until he came to Boston at the end on the Bird era.

Some people just don't like the NBA.

Hey, he had the Bucks for crying out loud. He's always had great basketball to watch. If there is one thing we are proud of in WI (besides the population of 400 pound women), it's our storied franchise: the Milwaukee Bucks.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Anyway, while I understand the job these guys have to perform, I have a very low interest in what any Athlete does off the court, or how they measure up as human beings. The human interest stories are nice, but at the end of the day, these guys put a ball through a hoop/in a net/in the endzone, and they do it better than the 99.9999% of the rest of the world. I don't need them to be Nobel Prize recipients.

I am with you, and this is a big reason I have weened myself off talk radio the last couple of years.  I just have no interest in hearing about whether Tom Brady should skip the game to be with his pregnant wife, or anything having to do with fried chicken.

But I get the impression I might be in the minority about that, based on the ratings.

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2012, 03:46:19 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
True, but its annoying when someone turns not liking a sport into a "values" judgment on its players.

Athletes across all sports are incredibly entitled, I think if you paint one as being "more" you're deluding yourself.
Extremely true. Still doesn't make his comments racist
Explictly no, but I've heard similar statements from MLB/NHL fans about NFL/NBA often enough that it makes me less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. (not to mention the politcal world were "values" type coding is more prevelant)

But that's mostly because even I see him on a limited basis since I'm not in the Boston area he's an annoying talking head. I'll happily assume the worst about him, skip bayless, etc...

I have to agree with you guys.  You often hear the word "thug" used too..  and I just cringe.

He is a joke specifically though.  He is totally in the Skip Bayless vein of guy that will say something to get a rise.  He has no real values or consistent line of thinking so it makes it easy.

Best example is the criticisms of Rondo I heard from local sports radio and TV after the fight.  These are all the same guys that will criticize NBA players for being friends and there not being that competitive fire in the league.  LeBron will be bashed for this.  Rondo goes against it and he is targeted.

Just typical crap from local Boston sports.  It's all insufferable to listen to.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2012, 03:57:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I am with you, and this is a big reason I have weened myself off talk radio the last couple of years.  I just have no interest in hearing about whether Tom Brady should skip the game to be with his pregnant wife, or anything having to do with fried chicken.

But I get the impression I might be in the minority about that, based on the ratings.

Yeah, it's all about crafting a narrative. Football especially, since the season is so short.

Rolling Stone had a great article about the way the producers of the weekly football programs put their shows together (no politics, don't worry!):
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/the-nfl-more-show-than-game-20121026

It's some seriously interesting stuff. (with a sprinkling of NSFW language)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2012, 04:37:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I think Mazz is generally a good guy, but I really can't help thinking that there's more than a little racism in Felger's passionate hating on NBA players and the sport in general.  Tanguay is, as you say, just a narcissist who will do anything to get attention and approval.
Dude i honestly feel kind of the same way about felger. Theres a little undercurrent of anomosity towards black folks from him IMO.

My feeling is that when you hear guys like Felger talk about how the NBA is full of "entitled" and "spoiled" athletes who want everything their own way and how its such a "star driven league" and that's a bad thing, then they extol the virtues of the NHL where everybody is a "hard worker" and has "grit" and "character," it's hard not to see the code language of race at play.
Or it could be that Felger grew up in Wisconsin and is a huge hockey and NHL fan and was never really exposed to the NBA and good basketball until he came to Boston at the end on the Bird era.

Hey, he had the Bucks for crying out loud. He's always had great basketball to watch. If there is one thing we are proud of in WI (besides the population of 400 pound women), it's our storied franchise: the Milwaukee Bucks.

Don't forget the great bratwurst.

Too bad he's not older, that Kareem/Oscar team was great.

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2012, 06:14:47 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
What did Rondo say?

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4699707/rondo-glad-to-be-back-with-team

Ok, I read the article.  Now can someone please point out what Rondo said that was controversial?  I can't find anything.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2012, 06:28:05 PM »

Offline twistedrico14

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Many of these Boston radio and TV guys are just not that good. I stopped watching and listening, especially Felger, what an idiot.

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Felger and Donny hates the Celtics, why they have jobs in Boston is beyond me.

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2012, 12:45:23 AM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
Felger and Donny hates the Celtics, why they have jobs in Boston is beyond me.
It's like being crapped on from the rest of the national media isn't enough.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!