Author Topic: I want Tyreke Evans  (Read 2816 times)

I want Tyreke Evans
« on: December 04, 2012, 11:26:54 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
And I'm willing to give away everything short of the big 3 and Avery Bradley to get him. Let's work miracles!

Someone tell me how we do it without trading Rondo or AB. The best I came up with is:

Evans/Salmons
for
Green/Lee/Sully and a 1st round pick.

That gives them a starting caliber SF and SG in exchange for Evans, let's them shed Salmon's bad contract and gives them a trading chip in Sullinger. It gives us a backup SF who can score and with Evans we get a scoring threat who can play 3 positions. It would certainly be a serious commitment to small ball :)

The problem, as always, is that I'm sure SAC can get better value for Evans. The Kings aren't planning to offer him an extension. If we can swing getting Evans for some combination of Green/Lee/Bass/Sully/Melo/Wilcox I say do it. Throw in picks. Throw in cash. Throw in trips to Maui. Get it done!

Re: I want Tyreke Evans
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 11:34:09 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
That package might be able to get you Dwight Evans but not Tyreke

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
You might want him. I want to stay as far away from him as possible.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 11:47:32 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
That's a bad trade for the Celts.  Evans kind of sucks.  Yesterday I saw a ranking of the top 5 worst jumpshooters of the past 12 years.  Evans was #1 on that list.

I can't believe you want to give up four assets for a guy like Evans.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
That's a bad trade for the Celts.  Evans kind of sucks.  Yesterday I saw a ranking of the top 5 worst jumpshooters of the past 12 years.  Evans was #1 on that list.

Agree here. Evans was impressive as a rookie but has gone nowhere but down since. He is a tweener guard with no position. He cant play point because he cant run an offense, he cant play 2 because he cant shoot.

Maybe once a month he has a box score of 20 8assists 5boards 2 steals. The rest of the time it looks like a Scal line.

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 12:20:20 PM »

Offline drax

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
Just one simple question, do we need more guards? Personally i say no.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 12:22:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
You might want him. I want to stay as far away from him as possible.

If we have Evans and Bradley on the roster I'd much rather start Bradley.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
No thanks.

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:01:13 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum

First of all Evans doesn't suck. Saying that is just plain stupid. He's obviously got talent. If we can't agree on that I guess we're just not in the same universe.

Second that list also includes Josh Smith (at #5 I believe) and I'm sure it must include Rondo too. Do you think we shouldn't pursue him either? Is Rondo not worth keeping around? There is more to the NBA than jump shooting. Actually I'm inclined to think that it's a severely overrated part of the game these days. Tyreke is a great dribble-drive guy and he's also capable of playing some point and small-forward. He's been in a terrible organization for his whole career. Give him some fresh air and I think you'll see a superstar.

The reason Tyreke works here (and I agree with BballTim) is that coming off the bench he's an elite scorer and can lead the 2nd unit. Surround him with jump shooters like Terry, Lee and Bass and Barbos and he'll go wild. He's the relentless dribble penetration that Jeff Green refuses to be. I'm not sure how he'd feeling coming off the bench but I'm sure he'd like to be on a winning team for once in his professional career.

Just one simple question, do we need more guards? Personally i say no.

If we trade one of our better ones away we do I guess. Also Evans can play at the SF depending on the match-up. He's undersized but he's so fast that the mismatch goes both ways.

That package might be able to get you Dwight Evans but not Tyreke

This is more in line with what I expected. I didn't see the  "we don't want Evans" reaction coming. I was far more prepared to hear "nice pipe-dream!" over and over again.

I'm also not sure what moiso meant by "giving up 4 assets for a guy like Evans". You mean a guy who is more talented than anyone we're giving up? You mean a guy who averaged 20-5-5 in his rookie season? That is the Oscar/MJ/LBJ club. You want this guy. If he gets the right coach he's a franchise talent.

Maybe once a month he has a box score of 20 8assists 5boards 2 steals. The rest of the time it looks like a Scal line.

Please just look at his stats. For his career he's averaged 18-5-5 on 44% shooting. Comparing him to a guy who (in his best season)averaged 6-2-5 in 20 mpg is just asinine.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 05:31:05 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I'd love to have him, but not at that price.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:39:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
So our lineup would look like

Ball handlers:
Rondo/JET/AB/Barbosa

Wings:
PP/Tyreke/Salmons

Bigs:
Bass/Wilcox/KG/Collins.

Honestly, that's not as awful as I expected.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 06:09:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wanted to win Powerball last week. That didn't happen and neither is this.

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 06:33:26 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Evans can really score - but he needs the ball to do it. Rondo starts with the ball on our team. Pierce is already the bail out guy. Evans can get his own shot pretty well - and he has a good mid-range game. But he's better on a bigger team. I think he needs to play with rebounding forwards (e.g. Utah/Chicago/LA Lakers/Denver/Indiana).

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 03:51:15 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
Evans can really score - but he needs the ball to do it. Rondo starts with the ball on our team. Pierce is already the bail out guy. Evans can get his own shot pretty well - and he has a good mid-range game. But he's better on a bigger team. I think he needs to play with rebounding forwards (e.g. Utah/Chicago/LA Lakers/Denver/Indiana).

You know I had the same thought but really haven't we been looking for a way to get Rondo a little rest? When we win big games isn't it because Rondo plays 40+ minutes and is an iron man? He's been to 5 playoffs and he's averaged over 40 minutes in 3/5 post season appearances. An we're not talking 1st round exits.

I really have no idea what kind of player Evans can be because he's been in such a bad situation for his whole career. Not only has he never had a cohesive team he's also never played with a PG like Rondo or for a coach like Doc. It's possible he needs the ball to be effective but I'm not sure I have enough information to really know that. I think for a long time people thought the same thing about Dwayne Wade.

The only concern I have is if Evans can accept a bench role here, even if temporarily. I think playing Evans beside Rondo would be a mistake and we have really good chemistry with Rondo/AB as it is. I think Terry would be the perfect fit for Evans coming of the bench and that is where he could thrive. It would also take a lot of the pressure off of him so that he could just play to his strengths, driving and finishing or dishing to shooters.

The past couple of games Jeff Green has really been finding his place on this team. I'm not sure if that's due to making up for Rondo's absence or if it's really a turning point but I'm not sure Celtics fans will want to trade Green after he's producing. On the other hand the Celtics won't be able to trade Green if he never produces so it's a gamble.

Would you guys make a Green for Evans swap? How about Green and a 1st?