Author Topic: what would you give up for Anderson Varejao?  (Read 11837 times)

Re: what would you give up for Anderson Varejao?
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 03:40:38 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Considering the offers from some of the posters on here you'd think Varejao and Gortat are basketball gods that are both leading their respective teams to 60 win seasons.

I get that we need a center but these guys are just reasonable players on crap teams. Someone's gotta get the stats.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think the team would go Futher with Bradley/Varejao , than Rondo /Varejao.

I think the team would go farther with Rondo than Bradley/Varejao.

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If the Celtics had a top 3-protected first round pick from a team like Orlando, I would trade that pick plus Sullinger for Varejao.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2012, 09:36:33 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
If the Celtics had a top 3-protected first round pick from a team like Orlando, I would trade that pick plus Sullinger for Varejao.

I wont do that. Sullinger will be better as the NBA years grow on him. Plus having a top 3 protected pick will net you an impact player in the future. I dont want to sell the future just for the now that Varejao may bring.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 10:01:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I equate this thread to "what would you do for a Klondike Bar"

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2012, 04:26:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/46313

Mike (San Antonio)

Do you think Cleveland will trade Varejao while his value is high. Would a Spurs trade involving Leonard, Blair and Bonner be a good deal for both teams?
Chad Ford
  (1:23 PM)

They're open to it. But it would have to be a very good deal. Varejao is playing as well as any big man in the NBA. There is no reason to trade him unless they are getting back multiple young assets in return. He has a cap friendly contract (based on his performance this year) ... Kawhi Leonard would obviously be attractive to them, but it's going to take more than that to get an All-Star center like Varejao.

So according to Chad Ford Kawhi Leonard isn't enough to land Varejao.  The original thought added Blair and Bonnar, which I gather from Ford's tone isn't enough either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2012, 04:31:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Mike (San Antonio)

Do you think Cleveland will trade Varejao while his value is high. Would a Spurs trade involving Leonard, Blair and Bonner be a good deal for both teams?
Chad Ford

They're open to it. But it would have to be a very good deal. Varejao is playing as well as any big man in the NBA. There is no reason to trade him unless they are getting back multiple young assets in return. He has a cap friendly contract (based on his performance this year) ... Kawhi Leonard would obviously be attractive to them, but it's going to take more than that to get an All-Star center like Varejao.

So according to Chad Ford Kawhi Leonard isn't enough to land Varejao.  The original thought added Blair and Bonnar, which I gather from Ford's tone isn't enough either.

Yup.  Which goes back to what I have been saying.  Why would they trade him?  He is signed for 2 more years at a bargain basement price.  And even if this year is a wash (which I am not sure I completely believe...they can still climb back into it), they have two more years out of him, and I would imagine they would hope to start winning games over those two years. 

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Mike (San Antonio)

Chad Ford

Kawhi Leonard would be a good piece. I think Cleveland makes that trade.

Not sure it is worth it for San Antonio though. Seems like more of a lateral move. Lose youth without enough of a short term upgrade.

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2012, 04:41:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Mike (San Antonio)

Chad Ford

According to Ford Varejao is an all-star center.

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2012, 04:54:13 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Was Varejao always this good? Maybe i just wasn't paying attention but when the cavs were actually relevant i don't remember him being THIS good...

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2012, 04:56:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Was Varejao always this good? Maybe i just wasn't paying attention but when the cavs were actually relevant i don't remember him being THIS good...

Varejao is a Dale Davis level player. Has been for a long time.

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2012, 04:57:07 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
He's on a rampage through the league - the Cavs will be asking for the moon. But everyone else in the league is going to be terrified that Varejao goes down for the season after they overpay for him.

I think there will be too much distance between the Cavs' estimation of Varejao and the available buyers' ability to pay for a bargain to be struck. 

Sadly, I predict that Varejao will spend his golden years toiling for one of the worst rosters in the league.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Mike (San Antonio)

Chad Ford

According to Ford Varejao is an all-star center.
I'm pretty sure he was referring to his play this year, you know when he is 15/15 and will easily make the all star team if he stays healthy. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He's on a rampage through the league - the Cavs will be asking for the moon. But everyone else in the league is going to be terrified that Varejao goes down for the season after they overpay for him.

I think there will be too much distance between the Cavs' estimation of Varejao and the available buyers' ability to pay for a bargain to be struck. 

Sadly, I predict that Varejao will spend his golden years toiling for one of the worst rosters in the league.

Why are they one of the worst rosters in the league?  They have one of the best young players in the league, and a ton of assets.  I really don't think Cleveland gets enough credit for the position they are in right now.  They have their superstar, and are poised to surround him with very good players.  Just give it a little time.

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 05:24:30 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

He's the typical sort of player who gets underrated because he's not a scorer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference