Author Topic: what would you give up for Anderson Varejao?  (Read 11876 times)

Re: what would you give up for Anderson Varejao?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
He's going to be on the block sooner or later.

I disagree with that, but if he were available, I don't think you can make a realistic offer that doesn't include a likely lottery pick, something the Celtics lack.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It all comes down to how much do the Cavs fall in love with Green.  SF is the only position they have not set themselves (whether or not those other players work out) towards the future.

But a starting lineup of

Irving
Waiters
Green
Thompson
Zeller

Might look attractive if the Celtics give them pieces to start building a strong bench.
Yep and while Green's contract is rather large it won't be an issue for Cleveland as they won't have a bunch of big raises until around the time Green comes off the books.

I think Green, Sullinger, Melo, and a couple of 1sts would probably gets it done and I would do that in a heartbeat (and as a buckeye fan I absolutely love JJ, you just have to give up a lot to get a player like Andy on his contract).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
How can they get better offers!?!?!

Seriously they are trying to trade a non all-star for a 23 year old all star or something?

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 11:34:07 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Seriously they are trying to trade a non all-star for a 23 year old all star or something?

Big man that plays defense and is averaging 15 and 15.

Contending teams will want him and will get in a bidding war.

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The best offer I can come up with is Jeff Green and Jared Sullinger.

But like others have said, I think they can get better value elsewhere.

I include Sully not because I don't like him, but because you have to give to get and while Sully's upside is probably All Star level, Varejao is playing like an All Star right now.

Green is the wild card.  Who knows what he'll turn out to be but he's still got a lot of upside himself.

This is the best likeable offer I can see the Cavs looking at as well. Unless they would want Bradley coming off their bench, but they seem set with Guards having Waiters and Irving probably both getting 40ish minutes a piece. Green fills their biggest need and could play big minutes and Sully gives them another young future piece. Unfortunately trading Green leaves us with another weakness to address, and I think the Cavs find other less questionable prospects elsewhere if they do decide to move him.

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
This is the one I thought of

Green, Bass and Melo for Sideshow, Walton and CJ Miles work numbers wise.

I posted pretty close to this exact trade in the KMart thread earlier this morning

I remember it being reported that any deal to move Varejao might not depend on the package they get so much as if they're willing to take Luke Walton's contract.

Green/Bass/Sully
for
AV/Walton/Miles

That might do it and I'd do that trade in a second.

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 11:50:13 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
What Ray gave him a few years ago....
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 11:51:43 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I posted pretty close to this exact trade in the KMart thread earlier this morning

I remember it being reported that any deal to move Varejao might not depend on the package they get so much as if they're willing to take Luke Walton's contract.

Green/Bass/Sully
for
AV/Walton/Miles

If Varejao was known as durable I'd do it in a second too.  But suppose he gets hurt.  We will have 3 less big guys in what is a weakness already.

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 11:55:38 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

While I don't doubt you heard that, I doubt that it is based in reality, because it makes no sense.  Walton is in the last year of his contract.  And considering Cleveland is well below the minimum salary (although I do think Baron's amnestied contract counts towards the minimum salary, so they don't have to get over it), I do not see them being so desperate to save the extra couple million dollars to the point that they would take less value for Varajao.

In fact, I think Walton's contract is a real asset for them, if they want to improve their team.

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 11:59:02 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Pierce and Bradley for Varejao and Walton.

Hate to trade Bradley but I think Lee brings a lot of the same to the table. I know I'm goint to hear it, but between the playoffs last year and what I've seen this year, I rather keep a young Green the the shell of Paul Pierce past. I'd take on Walton's salery for the year to get someone, anyony who can rebound.

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 12:02:08 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Well throw the averages out unless you are playing fantasy bball

If it gets into a bidding war than I want no part of it.

I still haven't heard any actual names that you think Cavs would look for.

Im just trying to wrap my head around packages including AB, Sully, Bass, Green aren't good enough.

Would they do Rondo straight up for him?

If they can't get a young all-star (seriously don't see that happening) aren't AB, Sully etc. The exact type of talent they should be looking for?

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Green/Bass/Sully
for
AV/Walton/Miles

If Varejao was known as durable I'd do it in a second too.  But suppose he gets hurt.  We will have 3 less big guys in what is a weakness already.

And there's the rub.  I really think, unless they absolutely fall in love with Sully or Bradley, that it is going to take more than its worth to pry Varajao away.  And he is just not a reliable enough player from a health standpoint, to risk it all for. 

My prediction is that Varajao ends up in San Antonio for a deal built around Kahwi Leonard.

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 12:06:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Well throw the averages out unless you are playing fantasy bball

If it gets into a bidding war than I want no part of it.

I still haven't heard any actual names that you think Cavs would look for.

Im just trying to wrap my head around packages including AB, Sully, Bass, Green aren't good enough.

Would they do Rondo straight up for him?

If they can't get a young all-star (seriously don't see that happening) aren't AB, Sully etc. The exact type of talent they should be looking for?

Right, because the defense he plays only existed on bad teams.   ::)

He isn't being complimented all over the league for his play.  No.  Fantasy stats only.

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 12:08:16 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I think im In the minority that while I love what AV would bring to this team...I don't think its worth sacrificing a large chunk of our depth.

He is hitting the mid range decently now but he has been known to be pretty terrible offensively
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I've seen fans propose that OKC trade Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb, and a first round pick from the Raptors for Varejao.  That strikes me as on the low end of the sort of value the Cavs should try to get for Varejao.

Can the Celtics come close to matching that?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference