Author Topic: what would you give up for Anderson Varejao?  (Read 11830 times)

Re: what would you give up for Anderson Varejao?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 12:14:59 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
How can they get better offers!?!?!

Seriously they are trying to trade a non all-star for a 23 year old all star or something?

I've seen fans propose that OKC trade Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb, and a first round pick from the Raptors for Varejao.  That strikes me as on the low end of the sort of value the Cavs should try to get for Varejao.

Can the Celtics come close to matching that?

Nowhere near close and like you said, thats not even the best offer that Cavs could get.

How could they not get better offers for a center averaging 15 and 15?

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Seriously they are trying to trade a non all-star for a 23 year old all star or something?

Big man that plays defense and is averaging 15 and 15.

Contending teams will want him and will get in a bidding war.

The problem is he won't get 15 and 15 on a contending team. If your bid is based on that level of production you'll be overpaying.

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

The problem is he won't get 15 and 15 on a contending team. If your bid is based on that level of production you'll be overpaying.

Of course his stats will drop.

A double double with defense is not out of the question though. 

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 01:29:01 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Maybe the Cavs want to help the Celtics beat LeBron.

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 01:49:58 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Pretty sure everyone is overrating varejao to a laughable extent. Hes a pretty decent role player on a contender...his numbers now are irrelevant to me. Hes an extremely poor mans joakim Noah....sure id want him but it doesn't promise to make us better at all with what some are willing to give up......I bet you sullinger would make you regret it in a month  getting big minutes with the cavs

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Pretty sure everyone is overrating varejao to a laughable extent. Hes a pretty decent role player on a contender...his numbers now are irrelevant to me. Hes an extremely poor mans joakim Noah....sure id want him but it doesn't promise to make us better at all with what some are willing to give up......I bet you sullinger would make you regret it this or next season getting big minutes with the cavs

Sully can get big minutes with a terrible Cavs team, Im perfectly ok with that especially if it brings back a starting big that can rebound at the caliber AV does.

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Pretty sure everyone is overrating varejao to a laughable extent. Hes a pretty decent role player on a contender...his numbers now are irrelevant to me. Hes an extremely poor mans joakim Noah....sure id want him but it doesn't promise to make us better at all with what some are willing to give up......I bet you sullinger would make you regret it this or next season getting big minutes with the cavs

Sully can get big minutes with a terrible Cavs team, Im perfectly ok with that especially if it brings back a starting big that can rebound at the caliber AV does.

Eh...Anderson varejao is not that good. I don't give up green and sully for him but that's just me...I find it laughable some think a package of bass,lee and picks is disrespectful to the cavs then count me as one that doesn't need Anderson varejao

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 02:11:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Varejao would COMPLETELY change the Celtics.

IF we could keep AVERY BRADLEY and add VAREJAO this team would be like TURBO BOOST.

These TWO guys energy would make up for the 35 yrs olds lost energy.   

Even losing Green and Bass or Sullinger .... Varejao would make you forget most of what any one of them offer....except Bass ...with his sneaky jumper. Love Sully though.

I would lean toward keeping Sully of the three .

Frankly ..... beside trading Green as first option , next I'd dump Rondo for Varejao

I think the team would go Futher with Bradley/Varejao , than Rondo /Varejao.

I would trade Rondo for Varejao and GREEn & BASS and Lee for Josh Smith or Gasol.

Adding Smith or Gasol and Varejao would FIX the Celtics inside issues.

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Pretty sure everyone is overrating varejao to a laughable extent. Hes a pretty decent role player on a contender...his numbers now are irrelevant to me. Hes an extremely poor mans joakim Noah....sure id want him but it doesn't promise to make us better at all with what some are willing to give up......I bet you sullinger would make you regret it in a month  getting big minutes with the cavs
He's pretty equivalent to Noah in my opinion when he's healthy.  But Varejao is more physical.

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Varejao would COMPLETELY change the Celtics.

IF we could keep AVERY BRADLEY and add VAREJAO this team would be like TURBO BOOST.

These TWO guys energy would make up for the 35 yrs olds lost energy.   

Even losing Green and Bass or Sullinger .... Varejao would make you forget most of what any one of them offer....except Bass ...with his sneaky jumper. Love Sully though.

I would lean toward keeping Sully of the three .

Frankly ..... beside trading Green as first option , next I'd dump Rondo for Varejao

I think the team would go Futher with Bradley/Varejao , than Rondo /Varejao.

I would trade Rondo for Varejao and GREEn & BASS and Lee for Josh Smith or Gasol.

Adding Smith or Gasol and Varejao would FIX the Celtics inside issues.

"Dump" rondo for varejao? Thank Jesus you're not our GM
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
I think it's time to shut down this thread when people are trading Rondo and Pierce for Varejao.  This has gotten way out of hand and needs to stop.  Rondo is at the very least a top 10 player in the league today.  Pierce continues to be vastly underrated but even if he took several steps back no way he's getting traded for Varejao.   The absolute MAX we trade for Varejao is Bass, Melo, Joseph and a late first round/early second round pick. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 03:04:19 PM »

Offline dwayne celtic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
who is this shaqattack guy what is he talking about, you would trade the best player on your team and arguable the best point guard in the league, who's still a few years away from his prime for anderson varejao, who's averaging 15/15 on a team thats still years away from the playoffs. like really ?????, the most i would give the cavs is bass+lee and picks thats it !!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Well throw the averages out unless you are playing fantasy bball

If it gets into a bidding war than I want no part of it.

I still haven't heard any actual names that you think Cavs would look for.

Im just trying to wrap my head around packages including AB, Sully, Bass, Green aren't good enough.

Would they do Rondo straight up for him?

If they can't get a young all-star (seriously don't see that happening) aren't AB, Sully etc. The exact type of talent they should be looking for?

Right, because the defense he plays only existed on bad teams.   ::)

He isn't being complimented all over the league for his play.  No.  Fantasy stats only.

Your the one talking about 15 and 15 like gms are standing around talking about his averages like they mean anything. Might as well point to Greens averages in OKC

Im just saying give me a name or give me something other than what the Celtics have isn't enough.

Has he ever been all defense or an all star? He's 30 and has been extremely injury prone. Id love tonhave him still I just find it funny people scoffing at proposed Celtics trades and then not offering up a trade of your own that you deem fair

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Refrain from attacking/discussing other posters instead of their ideas and the main topic of this thread.

Also calling for a thread to be closed because it has some posts you disagree with is needlessly antagonistic.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:35:25 PM by Fafnir »

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Refrain from attacking/discussing other posters instead of their ideas and the maint topic of this thread.

Also calling for a thread to be closed because it has some posts you disagree with is needlessly antagonistic.

Was anyone was "attacked" in this thread so far?  I wasn't actually calling for the thread to be closed... or I wouldn't continue the discussion.  It was hyperbole, but I apologize if that wasn't obvious. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams