Author Topic: what would you give up for Anderson Varejao?  (Read 11829 times)

what would you give up for Anderson Varejao?
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:15:53 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
He's going to be on the block sooner or later.  He's dominating right now but for a terrible team.  He brings rebounding, which we sorely need.  What's that worth?

I'm fine sending out our first rounder and a matching salary.  I don't think Jeff Green & a pick would get it done though.  They'd want someone like Bradley or Sullinger but I'm loathe to include either one.

Any other realistic ideas?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: what would you give up for Anderson Varejao?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:23:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is the one I thought of

Green, Bass and Melo for Sideshow, Walton and CJ Miles work numbers wise. 

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:33:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Honestly, I can't quite wrap my head around this yet.  Unless Green starts playing like a star, I think it would take Bradley, Green(or Bass), and a first, to even get them on the phone...and I am just not sure I would do that.

I just can't wrap my head around why Cleveland would be motivated to move Varajao right now, unless they are getting blown away by an offer.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:38:20 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Anyone the Cavs would ask outside of PP, KG, Rondo, Jet and Green (yes, I'm keeping Jeff Green).

If the Cavs would like anyone outside of those 5, no matter how many, a pick or two, that's a deal.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:45:47 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Varejao is one guy who really fits on our team. He's a great rebounder (leading the league), and this year is even hitting cutters from the high post and consistently nailing the open mid-range J.

I would do Bass, Melo, multiple picks, and cash. If they want to dump Walton's contract too I would include Lee in order to facilitate a deal. I then would attempt to workout a buyout for Walton, in order to add a couple of vets (West & KMart), via the vet minimum, with the extra roster spots.

I hesitate to give up Bradley or Sullinger because the memories of the Johnson for Delk/Rogers deal still haunts me.

Bottom line...

Bass
Lee
Melo
Multiple Picks
3M Cash

for

Varejao
Walton

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If Cleveland does actually decide to explore trade offers, you can bet they're going to ask for the moon.

Varejao's trade value has skyrocketed over the last season and a half.  The question is, are there any teams willing to offer what Cleveland might be looking for or will Cleveland have to settle.

Cleveland might be inclined to just hold onto him if they feel they aren't getting fair return.  Either way, don't expect anything until after Irving returns.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Anyone the Cavs would ask outside of PP, KG, Rondo, Jet and Green (yes, I'm keeping Jeff Green).

If the Cavs would like anyone outside of those 5, no matter how many, a pick or two, that's a deal.
Honestly for me the only untouchables in a deal for Andy would be PP, KG, and Rondo.  Anyone else can go, though obviously I'd like to keep Bradley.  Multiple picks wouldn't be an issue either.  If the goal for Boston is to win now then it has to add talent because this team is just not good enough.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 10:48:02 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Well the reverse is if we are getting varejao
then a big is going, bass, sully or kg

kg isn't going,wilcox for that matter isn't leaving no trade clause, sully is on rookie contract so bass would make sense

bass, joseph and a pick (or 2)

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
How much can the Cavs really expect with a fringe all star who is injury prone?

Id be willing to part with anyone outside the big 3. Depends on the package tho.

You gotta give up something g to get something. Yeah id love to keep AB but unless you want Kenyon martin, birdman you are going to have to trade pieces you really like ginger quality.

If they don't want Bradley than I think the only options besides would be if Green played like an all star and if he is playing like an all star id be more reluctant to give him up than ab

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 11:00:41 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Remember when CLE refused to give him MLE money?  hahahaha.

I don't think I give up Bradley, and I'm gettin higher and higher on Sully.  I don't move them for a 30 year old role player putting up allstar numbers on a horrid team.

I move Bass for the size upgrade, add Melo and a pick as sweeteners, and throw in $3M in cash to bribe the small market team.

But that's it.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Gotta agree with this one. AV would be worth any mix of role players/picks outside these five. I bet the Cavs can get a better offer from another team for him.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
In terms of salary, Bass would have to be included.  This also makes sense because Bass would take Varejao's minutes and vice versa.  We would also have to include incentives and filler.  Fab Melo, Kris Joseph and a  2nd round pick is probably the most we would be willing to offer. 
   Cleveland might get more from teams, but none of the contenders can offer a better package.  Varejao is worth more but I don't see who would part with more to get him.  Bass, Melo, Joseph and a good 2nd round pick is pretty good and they shed some long term salary to make a play in free agency. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
In terms of salary, Bass would have to be included.  This also makes sense because Bass would take Varejao's minutes and vice versa.  We would also have to include incentives and filler.  Fab Melo, Kris Joseph and a  2nd round pick is probably the most we would be willing to offer. 
   Cleveland might get more from teams, but none of the contenders can offer a better package.  Varejao is worth more but I don't see who would part with more to get him.  Bass, Melo, Joseph and a good 2nd round pick is pretty good and they shed some long term salary to make a play in free agency.
that is a horrible offer for Andy.  Cavs would hang up the phone and probably not take any calls from Boston for awhile.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
The best offer I can come up with is Jeff Green and Jared Sullinger.

But like others have said, I think they can get better value elsewhere.

I include Sully not because I don't like him, but because you have to give to get and while Sully's upside is probably All Star level, Varejao is playing like an All Star right now.

Green is the wild card.  Who knows what he'll turn out to be but he's still got a lot of upside himself.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 11:22:53 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It all comes down to how much do the Cavs fall in love with Green.  SF is the only position they have not set themselves (whether or not those other players work out) towards the future.

But a starting lineup of

Irving
Waiters
Green
Thompson
Zeller

Might look attractive if the Celtics give them pieces to start building a strong bench.