Author Topic: Charlotte Observer: "Charlotte might pounce if Hornets give up nickname"  (Read 7641 times)

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Tom and Gayle Benson, new owners of the New Orleans Hornets, continue their lobbying to rebrand their NBA franchise. That could eventually result in Charlotte getting back the name “Hornets.”

“It’s definitely an interest down the road, but right now it’s the New Orleans Hornets,” Jordan told the Observer. “We would definitely entertain the opportunity. That’s as much as we can say right now. We’ve heard the community ask the question, and we would listen.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/11/29/3696706/charlotte-might-pounce-if-hornets.html

I hope New Orleans gives up the name and they bring back the Hornets in Charlotte. It was a really cool identity (from the logo to the uniforms) that the Hornets had.

Re: "Charlotte might pounce if Hornets give up nickname"
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 05:54:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
They [dang] well better. The Hornets name belongs in Charlotte. Great team name.

Team names + team history should not be allowed to move. They belong to the community they represent and should not ever be allowed to move.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess it would make sense and all of the Charlotte fans could bring back their throwback apparel, but I get the feeling it would turn into a Cleveland Browns / Baltimore Ravens situation. I was watching a Browns game recently where the commentators were discussing players of the past, like Testaverde, and if Weeden could surpass him in the record books and I was like, 'Testaverde played for what is now the Ravens, not the new franchise Browns. It's like they are trying to pretend that the Browns never left Cleveland.

I get that Charlotte already has a team and a [small] history, but I can see everybody glossing over the name change and comparing stats of current players to ZO and LJ who have nothing to do with the current Bobcats.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's the shame the Jazz were so huge in the 80s and 90s... that nickname really fits for New Orleans, but it definitely belongs to Utah basketball at this point.

Let's just shake it all up.  Sacramento can move to Seattle and become the Sonics... New Orleans can become the Jazz.  Charlotte can become the Hornets... and if need be Utah can take nickname "Kings". 

And bring the Lakers nickname back to Minnesota where it belongs.  Los Angeles can become the Bobcats.

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
It's the shame the Jazz were so huge in the 80s and 90s... that nickname really fits for New Orleans, but it definitely belongs to Utah basketball at this point.

Let's just shake it all up.  Sacramento can move to Seattle and become the Sonics... New Orleans can become the Jazz.  Charlotte can become the Hornets... and if need be Utah can take nickname "Kings". 

And bring the Lakers nickname back to Minnesota where it belongs.  Los Angeles can become the Bobcats.

The Laker name along with 3 BAA and 2 NBA titles that they seem to want to count now.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Nothing like a Hornets starter jacket.

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Maybe my Orlando Magic starter jacket, but even I gotta admit, I always liked those Hornets starter jackets.  That color was just awesome.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

LOL at "Los Angeles can become the Bobcats."  Or maybe the Timberwolves.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
I guess it would make sense and all of the Charlotte fans could bring back their throwback apparel, but I get the feeling it would turn into a Cleveland Browns / Baltimore Ravens situation. I was watching a Browns game recently where the commentators were discussing players of the past, like Testaverde, and if Weeden could surpass him in the record books and I was like, 'Testaverde played for what is now the Ravens, not the new franchise Browns. It's like they are trying to pretend that the Browns never left Cleveland.

I get that Charlotte already has a team and a [small] history, but I can see everybody glossing over the name change and comparing stats of current players to ZO and LJ who have nothing to do with the current Bobcats.

Very very tricky predicament here.  Even though I understand that the Browns moved to Baltimore and then the new Browns started a new franchise in Cleveland... If you ask me who any current Browns players are breaking/setting franchise records for, I'd compare them to the old Browns players.  Its not technically correct, but it feels more right to me.  Same would be true for me if Charlotte became the Hornets again.

I agree with previous poster that teams should simply not be able to carry nicknames to new cities.  It sucks that doing so will carry a pretty big fan base over which translates to big $$ so would make no sense not to.

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
The Hornets as with much of the south were named after Civil War legends. Every time i go down there i personally take the time out of my day to remind them all they lost that war. And would most certainly lose again. Sorry southerners. We beat you. The North Will Rise Again! **** ;D

http://www.cmstory.org/history/hornets/wartime.htm

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:35:47 PM by CelticHooligan3 »

Re: Charlotte Observer: "Charlotte might pounce if Hornets give up nickname"
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Maybe my Orlando Magic starter jacket, but even I gotta admit, I always liked those Hornets starter jackets.  That color was just awesome.

Really no Celtics one? What happened?

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 09:24:10 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

My first hat.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 09:25:27 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Could there be any place in the US where the name "Jazz" fits less than in Salt lake City?  If Stern wants to do something to cement his legacy, he should get the Jazz to give the name back to New Orleans, and then the Bobcats can get the Hornets name back.

Utah can have an historic opportunity to re-brand the team to something more congruous.  Ironically, the name "Saints" would fit them, due to the heavy influence the Latter Day Saints Church has in the formation and population of Utah.

Utah Saints
New Orleans Jazz
Charlotte Bobcats.

Done, and done, and done.   

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Double post. 

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Utah Polygamists has a nice ring to it..