Author Topic: Our Defense? Options?  (Read 1078 times)

Our Defense? Options?
« on: December 03, 2012, 07:10:42 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Is it just outlived it's time, or is straight up man to man defense a thing of the past?
I was just thinking, and other posters have mentioned it too, at times, that our rebounding problems are a result of being out of position, and not knowing WHO to box out, leading to offensive boards and easy hoops for the opposition.  Wouldn't going back to straight man to man D alleviate that?  We've supposedly got some really strong defenders on our squad, in addition to AB when he gets back! Or is all the constant switching on every ball exchange, and blitzing the PG's by our big men necessary!? I think it's causing more problems than its worth!
When TThibs, the defensive guru was here, it was fine, but with LFrank and now Longabardi, our D is just a shell of itself!!
I say go back to basics. Play man to man, and mix it up with zone on occasion. Know who you are supposed to be boxing out. Keep a couple guys back to stop breaks and get some offensive boards, and maybe this group can still work!

Re: Our Defense? Options?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:05:13 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
With the defense, the only option outside of miraculously acquiring an active, long, rebounding, shotblocking inside big man, is to just let the players work out their kinks on the floor and learn to trust each other.  In the meantime, we have to put up with the mixed results.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Its improving and will get much better when ab comes back.  Its the rotations, took awhile last year for everyone to "get it".
I've noticed on more than a few occasions the base line open as some guys are rotating down. 

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 09:56:22 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Its improving and will get much better when ab comes back.  Its the rotations, took awhile last year for everyone to "get it".
I've noticed on more than a few occasions the base line open as some guys are rotating down.

It's definitely improving. I haven't been following the numbers very closely, but we're 16th in the league in defense, a week or two ago we were 24th or so.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:40:44 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

It's definitely improving. I haven't been following the numbers very closely, but we're 16th in the league in defense, a week or two ago we were 24th or so.

Yup.  No idea about the numbers, but the execution has been night and day compared to the beginning of the season.  Thats the thing about Doc's system.  You really need everyone on the same page, which is why this team takes a long time to integrate anyone new.  Now that the new guys are getting comfortable, things are looking much smoother. 

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 07:32:39 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
the last 2 games, our defense has looked Alot better...even Scal mentioned it during the bucks game that the rotations were tighter.

also, bradley coming back with have an effect on it as well...he's our 2nd best defender after KG on the team.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 08:01:59 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Hopefully Jet, especially, gets it sooner rather than later, or a weapon and FT shooter we need at the end of games is more of a liability than an asset.

His self-admitted blown coverage of Jennings on that three killed us.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 08:36:24 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Hopefully Jet, especially, gets it sooner rather than later, or a weapon and FT shooter we need at the end of games is more of a liability than an asset.

His self-admitted blown coverage of Jennings on that three killed us.

The problem is not Terry's defense, but the role his been playing. He shouldn't be starting, particularly against bigger and talented offensive players in the SG position.

His best role on this team is off the bench, and as our back-up PG with limited time on the floor with Rondo. And when he's on the floor with Rondo, it should be Rondo guarding the bigger guard, usually the SG.

Not to say that Terry is without blame, but the first step is putting him in a role where his chances of succeeding are that much greater instead of roles where he's destined to fail. Hopefully DOC gets it sooner rather than later.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
When Bradley returns, will Doc understand that a healthy Bradley should be closing most games at the SG spot?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference