Author Topic: Executive: Varejao ‘The Top Target’ If Available  (Read 4075 times)

Re: Executive: Varejao ‘The Top Target’ If Available
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The best bait the Celtics have is still Green if he keeps playing the way he is. 

The Cavs have young players at PG, SG, PF and C.  They need a SF. 

Green, Bass and Melo for Sideshow, Walton and CJ Miles work numbers wise. 

Really depends on how much they would value Green and Melo.  (Melo could easily be replaced by Sully)

By the time Green and Bass are tradable, Walton's contract is nearing its end. I suspect they'd rather have flexibility than Bass.

My point: If Green is indeed playing well and desirable, you could make it Sideshow and change (Casspi seems to make the most sense from a $ perspective) for Green, Melo and picks, cash, etc.

This would leave the Cs with a little more breathing room from the lux tax to add another player or two as FAs this season.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 11:05:06 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The best bait the Celtics have is still Green if he keeps playing the way he is. 

Really depends on how much they would value Green and Melo.  (Melo could easily be replaced by Sully)

By the time Green and Bass are tradable, Walton's contract is nearing its end. I suspect they'd rather have flexibility than Bass.

My point: If Green is indeed playing well and desirable, you could make it Sideshow and change (Casspi seems to make the most sense from a $ perspective) for Green, Melo and picks, cash, etc.

This would leave the Cs with a little more breathing room from the lux tax to add another player or two as FAs this season.

I only included him because of a rumor that the Cavs want the other team to take him.

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 11:09:04 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I only included him because of a rumor that the Cavs want the other team to take him.

Yep I get it. Just saying I doubt they'd want Bass for an expiring contract of that size in late January.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 11:19:19 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
One interesting possibility:

OKC trade Perkins + Jeremy Lamb + Toronto 1st Round Pick for Varejao.

The Thunder would be absurd with Varejao playing next to Serge in the frontcourt.

Good call.  Though I'd love to get him on the Cs, the Thunder would be a near perfect landing spot for him.  I wouldn't mind seeing that, as I kind of like both the Thunder and Varajao.

If they could turn that haul they got from Houston into Varajao and keep Martin, that Harden trade by Presti could be looking like pure gold in the end.  Varajao has endured a lot of "Sideshow Bob" types of ridicule over the years, but he's a [dang]ed good player that any team would love to have.

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
As great as Varejao has been, they're not going to get an elite prospect with All-Star potential for him.  The kind of team that wants Varejao is a team on the verge of being a contender (e.g. the Celtics). 

Teams like that don't tend to have elite prospects to give up.

The Thunder would be absurd with Varejao playing next to Serge in the frontcourt.

Thats an amazing trade for the Thunder, however the Cavs are pretty young at the guard spots already so Im not sure where Lamb would fit in.

Lamb isn't the prize per se, it's the lottery pick from the Raptors, who so far have one of the worst records in the league this season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 12:00:10 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
As great as Varejao has been, they're not going to get an elite prospect with All-Star potential for him.  The kind of team that wants Varejao is a team on the verge of being a contender (e.g. the Celtics). 

Teams like that don't tend to have elite prospects to give up.

Yeah this is pretty scary. TP.

This looks like an unusually sensible NBA trade to me. Could be Jones if not Lamb, or both. And they might even want to get rid of that pick in a weak draft considering the cap number against it for 2013+. CLE would also be an excellent landing spot for Perk if he's traded.

The only issue -- I think OKC needs to shed some $$$ (thus the talk of a Perk amnesty and the Harden trade). Could be that they need to ask CLE to take back something else to assure they can keep Westbrook, Durant, Ibaka and Sideshow together long term. So they might even desire than both Lamb and Jones go to CLE in the deal....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Can anyone think of elite level young talent?

I don't see it matching up with Varejao.

And someone mentioned AB not fitting that description. If he doesn't who does? The Cabs aren't getting a 20-23 year old all-star for Varejao of that's what they are thinking

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Can anyone think of elite level young talent?

I don't see it matching up with Varejao.

And someone mentioned AB not fitting that description. If he doesn't who does? The Cabs aren't getting a 20-23 year old all-star for Varejao of that's what they are thinking

Again, the best answer I can come up with is the (sure to be) lottery pick from the Raptors that the Thunder have coupled with a contract like Collison or (more likely) Perkins.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 08:27:23 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think the Cavs would take Bass+Sully+Bradley for Verajao.
Or Bass+Melo+pick+Bradley.

They would like a lottery pick but the closest I think they come is that Toronto pick from OKC which is a very good idea.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 08:50:33 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Dion Waiters

I doubt the Cavs have much interest in Avery Bradley.

yeah but Dion Waiters is a 6th man, manu ginobli type player.... Cleveland can start Avery Bradley and have Dion Waiters be a high scoring 6th man

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 08:55:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The goal for the Cavs should be to acquire players who have the potential to equal Varejao's current production in 2015-2016 while still being on a rookie scale contract then.  The Cavs really shouldn't be talking about trades with any team that can't offer that time-shifting of talent to build around Irving's prime years.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 09:00:15 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I just don't see how Ainge could pull it off. We don't have the pieces.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 09:35:49 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

[/quote]

Wonder if Danny would trade RONDO for Varejao ,  then we could keep AB , Sully and FaB
[/quote]

Uh lets hope not