Author Topic: Who would rather have my Baby Back  (Read 5717 times)

Re: Who would rather have my Baby Back
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 09:48:23 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I'll take BBD. Bass, to me, is too wimpy.  A guy with his athletic ability and body should be mixing it up all the time.  Instead, we get one or two aggressive plays a game (if we're lucky) and the rest of the time, he's a mid-range jump shooter who stands around under his own basket half the time while the other team crashes the offensive boards. 

I do agree that Bass needs to go back to his role as bench PF. One thing that BBD has in his favor is that he was an effective bench player who could actually perform better as a starter, like he showed when he filled in for KG in the playoffs a few seasons ago. Bass to me is a below average starter at PF.   

Baby is taking a lot of shots in Orlando, and his shooting percentage is down, but he's on a rebuilding team with very inexperienced bigs, and he's doing his best to hold things down while the young bigs figure things out. 

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 09:52:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'll take BBD. Bass, to me, is too wimpy.  A guy with his athletic ability and body should be mixing it up all the time.  Instead, we get one or two aggressive plays a game (if we're lucky) and the rest of the time, he's a mid-range jump shooter who stands around under his own basket half the time while the other team crashes the offensive boards. 

I do agree that Bass needs to go back to his role as bench PF. One thing that BBD has in his favor is that he was an effective bench player who could actually perform better as a starter, like he showed when he filled in for KG in the playoffs a few seasons ago. Bass to me is a below average starter at PF.   

Baby is taking a lot of shots in Orlando, and his shooting percentage is down, but he's on a rebuilding team with very inexperienced bigs, and he's doing his best to hold things down while the young bigs figure things out.

If "playing within you role" is wimpy, then give me the wimp over the guy who wants to be a hero.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 09:54:01 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

If "playing within you role" is wimpy, then give me the wimp over the guy who wants to be a hero.

Wimpy is not boxing out, and not having a paint presence.

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 10:06:22 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I admittedley was on the Bass train last season.. This season not so much. I was really disappointed in his reaction the other night to the Rondo incident. You have Boston on your chest.. Your a bench guy (basically) i completley expect you to be throwing haymakers in that situation.

As Tommy said, Red once told Loscy if you dont retaliate you'll wake up playing in Syracuse. Call me old school all you want but i expect that same reaction from this day in age role players. Not Terry so much but definatley Bass. I mean look at the guy. Built like A D-End and plays the game like Wide Receiver. No thanks. Baby was and always will be a headache but no one ever had to ask the kid to mix it up a little. He loved throwin that Baby fat around.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:24:38 PM by CelticHooligan3 »

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 10:18:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'll still keep Bass.  not missing BBD constantly getting blocked every game.  I loved his hustle and he was a better defender but Bass has been more consistent in his shot and is more athletic (which will eventually pay off when this team gets its offense rolling).

Of course the key to both players being effective is for them to come off the bench.  C's need a legit starting PF to move Bass to the bench.  Maybe Sully will be that good next year but for now, Bass is our best option there unfortunately

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I admittedley was on the Bass train last season.. This season not so much. I was really disappointed in his reaction the other night to the Rondo oncident. You have Boston on your chest.. Your a bench guy (basically) i completly expect you to be throwing haymakers in that situation.

As Tommy said, Red once told Loscy if you dont retaliate you'll wake up playing in Syracuse. Call me old school all you want but i expect that same reaction from this day in age role players. Not Terry so much but definatley Bass. I mean look at the guy. Built like A D-End and plays the game like Wide Receiver. No thanks. Baby was and always will be a headache but no one ever had to ask the kid to mix it up a little. He loved throwin that Baby fat around.

Eh...bass was trying to break the fight up.. would've been a season suspension if he was throwing haymakers....give me a break! I thought he was one of the smarter players in the scuffle...haymakers could turn it into malice at the palace type deal....very smart move by bass

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I admittedley was on the Bass train last season.. This season not so much. I was really disappointed in his reaction the other night to the Rondo oncident. You have Boston on your chest.. Your a bench guy (basically) i completly expect you to be throwing haymakers in that situation.

Eh...bass was trying to break the fight up.. would've been a season suspension if he was throwing haymakers....give me a break! I thought he was one of the smarter players in the scuffle...haymakers could turn it into malice at the palace type deal....very smart move by bass

And when exactly was the last time you saw a season ending suspension, for the record?

Didn't think so...

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 11:41:06 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

And when exactly was the last time you saw a season ending suspension, for the record?

Didn't think so...

And when exactly was the last time you saw an NBA player throwing haymakers?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 11:42:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Um . . . what Big Baby were you watching the past few years?  Glen spent most offensive possessions near the perimeter looking for a chance to take a (low percentage) mid-range jumper, and he hardly ever blocked out.  He was no better a rebounder than Bass has been.  Often worse, in fact.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 11:43:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I'll still keep Bass.  not missing BBD constantly getting blocked every game.  I loved his hustle and he was a better defender but Bass has been more consistent in his shot and is more athletic (which will eventually pay off when this team gets its offense rolling).

Of course the key to both players being effective is for them to come off the bench.  C's need a legit starting PF to move Bass to the bench.  Maybe Sully will be that good next year but for now, Bass is our best option there unfortunately

I think Wilcox, if he stays healthy and gets into peak shape conditioning-wise, could be a solid starter for 25-28 minutes a night.  The problem is that if Wilcox is starting next to KG, it means we're depending on Collins or Sullinger to play most of the backup center minutes, which is far from ideal.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 11:54:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Um . . . what Big Baby were you watching the past few years?  Glen spent most offensive possessions near the perimeter looking for a chance to take a (low percentage) mid-range jumper, and he hardly ever blocked out.  He was no better a rebounder than Bass has been.  Often worse, in fact.
Yeah Davis wasn't a good position rebounder defensively. He might have improved since playing bigger minutes in Orlando, I can't say I've watched him play all too often.

He was always pretty darn good on the offensive glass when we used him as a 20-25 minute backup though.

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 11:57:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Yeah Davis wasn't a good position rebounder defensively. He might have improved since playing bigger minutes in Orlando, I can't say I've watched him play all too often.

He was always pretty darn good on the offensive glass when we used him as a 20-25 minute backup though.

How many of those offensive rebounds were him collecting his own misses / shots he took that got blocked, though?  Bass doesn't get those in part because he can actually dunk from underneath the basket, even when there are a few guys around him.

I admit I haven't watched Davis much since he went to Orlando, either, but in his time here the only things I'd say he had over Bass is that he was very good at taking charges, and he occasionally had some surprisingly agile drop-step-into-layup moves in the post.

People who hate on Bass are definitely overlooking the value he has simply by having a 10x better attitude and team-first mentality compared to Glen, who was mentally-soft and wanted a bigger role ever since he started in place of KG in the 2009 playoffs.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 12:02:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

How many of those offensive rebounds were him collecting his own misses / shots he took that got blocked, though?  Bass doesn't get those in part because he can actually dunk from underneath the basket, even when there are a few guys around him.
Some were, but Davis has shot basically as well as Bass at the rim for his career. I think the number of his own misses he got isn't a huge factor in his overall rebounding numbers.

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 12:24:52 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I want my Baby back, Baby back, Just curious to see what the conciseness is out there, now that we have a large sample size of Bass vs Baby. although Bass looked like a steal last year, overall I'd take the Big Baby now. Thoughts?

Although I've never been really high on Bass, I'd still take him over Baby. Davis' attitude alone makes me pick Bass over him. Plus I'm sure if Bass was given Baby's role on the magic right now he could put up numbers and lose.

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 01:29:11 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
As Tommy said

There ya go.

Bass to Baby is a zero sum game to me, but I'd rather have had Bass because of his contracts.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.