Author Topic: Who turns it around first? Lakers or Celtics?  (Read 5758 times)

Re: Who turns it around first? Lakers or Celtics?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 07:09:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Who -- I couldn't tell by your comments if you are implying that despite an up/down regular season you think things will be different for the Lakers with tight rotations and increased halfcourt play in the playoffs.
Yes, I think they are much better built for the playoffs than for the regular season.

Hiring Mike D'Antoni could screw that up though. We'll see.

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I still think a team like OKC or maybe the Spurs can beat LA.

Nash even when healthy Can't guard guys like Parker/westbrook....and if you get physical with dwight he wilts

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I haven't seen a lot of the Lakers, so i don't really feel qualified to comment much other than to say that despite their talent level, they are a fairly slow footed team.  The way to beat them appears to be to outrun them. 

As to the Celtics, I think they are on the verge of turning the corner.  My money's on the Cs to have a better record by the all star break.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 10:06:41 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I'm stunned at how bad the Lakers have been.  Who gives up 40 points in the fourth quarter at home when you have the best defensive center and small forward (over the past 5 years)?

That said, I think they'll turn things around, probably by shipping Gasol to Toronto for Bargnani and Calderone. 

D'Antoni's system will be better for LA's bench players like Jamison and Meeks, who can stroke the three.  Blake is also a good three point shooter, 39% lifetime, so when he gets back, he'll probably back up Kobe if Calderon comes aboard. 

As constructed, the Lakers won't make a run unless Gasol can figure out how to play effectively in D'Antoni's system.

I don't think Boston has enough interior strength to contend.  Either Sullinger needs to grow up fast, or DA needs to pull off a big trade to fix that weakness.   

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 10:17:21 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'm hoping the Lakers miss the playoffs this year and its the start of a ten year, no play-offs run.

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 11:45:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm hoping the Lakers miss the playoffs this year and its the start of a ten year, no play-offs run.

The Lakers will never miss the playoffs for that long, if for no other reason than that they are well managed and have tons of money.  They'll pretty much always be able to assemble a half-way decent team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 11:48:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm hoping the Lakers find themselves at the start of a five-year run of being the second-best team in LA.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 12:16:16 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Lakers.  They have too much talent not to turn it around.  Best big man in the game.  1st or 2nd best shooting guard in the game.  Another top 5 big man in Pau...  Both Jamison and Artest have game.  Once Nash returns that team should start to look like newage Showtime.  YOu're adding a top 5 playmaker and the #1 best shooter in the league.  Give them a month or so to adjust to the new coach.  Probably the favorite to win the West when the dust settles.

Boston will take until probably the trade deadline, but I do think we'll get it together.  At the moment we have added some solid/mediocre talent (like 4 backup shooting guards), but the pieces don't really fit yet.  Might take a couple moves.  Mid-to-late February for them.  Should play .500 ball until then.  We should hobble into the playoffs and win a round or two.

You certainly are a glass half full type of guy.....at least when it comes to any team not named the Celtics.

Oh how I wish we could bet on this so people could actually put their money where their mouth is
I think my glass is plenty full... I just said we'd maybe win a round or two.  At the present, we'd limp into the playoffs with the 8th seed and get trounced in round 1 by Miami.  The fact that I see us making some trades and moving up in the standings enough to match up with an Atlanta or Milwaukee is pretty positive.

You try so hard to be un-bias but it comes off as you trying to "reverse jinx" the Celtics or something.

Have any of your predictions in the past couple years come true? Or do you still blame the Rose injury and Garnett playing well (imagine that?!?) For our relative success last year?

Here are some possible excuses for your inevitable false predictions this year.

- I didn't know green was going to play like 6th man of the year candidate
-i didn't know KG was.goingto play like an all star
-i didn't know pierce was gonna play like an all star
-i didn't know rondo was going to start hitting that jump shot
-i didn't know AB was gonna continue to be a defensive beast
- I didn't know x player was going to get injured

Im sorry but there is so much talk during the season and putting a microscope on each game. Have fun with that. There is no doubt that I have already penciled in the Celts to the ECF.

Like I said last year they have WAY too much talent to be doing this bad

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 12:45:06 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Lakers.  They have too much talent not to turn it around.  Best big man in the game.  1st or 2nd best shooting guard in the game.  Another top 5 big man in Pau...  Both Jamison and Artest have game.  Once Nash returns that team should start to look like newage Showtime.  YOu're adding a top 5 playmaker and the #1 best shooter in the league.  Give them a month or so to adjust to the new coach.  Probably the favorite to win the West when the dust settles.

Boston will take until probably the trade deadline, but I do think we'll get it together.  At the moment we have added some solid/mediocre talent (like 4 backup shooting guards), but the pieces don't really fit yet.  Might take a couple moves.  Mid-to-late February for them.  Should play .500 ball until then.  We should hobble into the playoffs and win a round or two.

You certainly are a glass half full type of guy.....at least when it comes to any team not named the Celtics.

Oh how I wish we could bet on this so people could actually put their money where their mouth is
I think my glass is plenty full... I just said we'd maybe win a round or two.  At the present, we'd limp into the playoffs with the 8th seed and get trounced in round 1 by Miami.  The fact that I see us making some trades and moving up in the standings enough to match up with an Atlanta or Milwaukee is pretty positive.

You try so hard to be un-bias but it comes off as you trying to "reverse jinx" the Celtics or something.

Have any of your predictions in the past couple years come true? Or do you still blame the Rose injury and Garnett playing well (imagine that?!?) For our relative success last year?

Im sorry but there is so much talk during the season and putting a microscope on each game. Have fun with that. There is no doubt that I have already penciled in the Celts to the ECF.

You are pretty optimistic if you have the team locked in to the ECF already.
Even certain improvement in the team play assured, New York twins are too loaded to look over, as well.

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 05:08:49 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Compare that "plenty full glass" to your opinion of the equally mediocre Lakers, who you picked to win, what was it, 70 or so games, and now consider to be favorites to win the west. At the present, they'd be hoping for good luck with their ping pong balls.

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

You are pretty optimistic if you have the team locked in to the ECF already.
Even certain improvement in the team play assured, New York twins are too loaded to look over, as well.

I guess some would say that's optimistic. Id consider it an absolute failure if we didn't reach the ECF.

give me a break with these NJ/NY teams to. New Jersey has a bunch of born losers on their team, I mean honestly does anyone on that team scare you in the slightest minus Williams? Same goes for NY. And don't tell me that we lost twice.in Nov to them cause win or lose now I know who will win in the playoffs

Seriously remember everyone jumping on the Pacers and Sixers jock last year. I rolled my eyes then and im rolling my eyes now. They are just fun (apparently for some) stories for the regular season

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Hate to say it but Lakers.

Even though they have chemistry problems right now, I still like Nash, Kobe, Howard and Gasol over our starting five.

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
Hate to say it but Lakers.

Even though they have chemistry problems right now, I still like Nash, Kobe, Howard and Gasol over our starting five.

Is Nash back already? Or are you just talking about who will be better?

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Just an aside. Why does anyone believe Andrea Bargnani holds any value whatsoever? Laker fans are actually pining after this guy.

He is truly a horrendous defender, and he doesn't make shots at a very good clip.

I saw him trying to guard a referee on a side pick and roll the other day.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Why does anyone believe Andrea Bargnani holds any value whatsoever

Because he is tall.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference