Author Topic: Celtics ‘wary’ of bringing in Kenyon Martin  (Read 8515 times)

Re: Celtics ‘wary’ of bringing in Kenyon Martin
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 02:22:45 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not for signing KMart unless we make a trade and move Bass/Sully. I think another undersized big isn't really something we need at the moment. Unfortunately if we move Bass or Sully we'll probably get a big in return so we still wouldn't need KMart.

I want Jason Thompson, Paul Millsap, JJ Hickson or Anderson Varejao.

Paul Millsap is an undersized power forward who is listed at approximately the same height and weight as Brandon Bass.  Anderson Varejao and JJ Hickson may be closer to what is considered as ideal size for a power forward, but both are currently functioning as undersized starting centers.

Varejao isn't undersized for a center at 6'11'' and 250+
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 02:54:10 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Kmart may still have some game left, but is such an officiating lighting rod I honestly don't think the celts can risk bringing him in.

And yes the nba officials are that bias that it has to weigh into Danny's decision...  Nice legacy, David

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 04:58:07 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm not for signing KMart unless we make a trade and move Bass/Sully. I think another undersized big isn't really something we need at the moment. Unfortunately if we move Bass or Sully we'll probably get a big in return so we still wouldn't need KMart.

Paul Millsap is an undersized power forward who is listed at approximately the same height and weight as Brandon Bass.  Anderson Varejao and JJ Hickson may be closer to what is considered as ideal size for a power forward, but both are currently functioning as undersized starting centers.

Some sources (the sort that tend to not update their numbers from when a player enters the league) have him listed at 6'10" and 230, or around Chris Wilcox-sized.  Did he grow or is that just the hair? 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 05:18:36 AM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle

Trust me, it's the hair.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 06:24:23 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
sure bring him in. It will complete the geriatic Team.

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 07:12:18 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
sure bring him in. It will complete the geriatic Team.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=228579
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2013.html

Apparently basketball reference has weighted average age by minutes.

http://www.thetwomangame.com/2011/03/senescence/

Analysis of champion teams in the past ten years by the same metric. A bit on the older side but not at all geriatric.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:17:21 AM by bfrombleacher »

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I have no issue with waiting to see if something better comes along. 

There is not rush for his services at the moment.

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 07:55:29 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Trust me, it's the hair.

The hair makes him over 7 feet tall :)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 08:20:52 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I would be wary about his age and undersized. I like his game though and I think he would give us good toughness. However another undersized big who has no above the rim game (anymore for Kmart) doesnt appeal to me as much as other options would.

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 08:29:19 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

Millsap might be the same height/weight as Brandon Bass but he plays like a big instead of a wing. While competing for minutes Millsap is averaging 14/8 over 30 minutes. Compare that to Bass's 10/5 in 28 minutes with far less competition at his position.

Oh and Millsap is in a contract year which not only means he has a reason to play harder but it also means we might have some cap space when the season is over.

Varejao shouldn't even need a defense. Statistically he's the best front court player in the eastern conference this season. The only guys close are Noah and Bosh. That is reasonable company for a guy making 7.7M.

Thompson is probably out of reach for what we'd offer but he'd be a steal if we can land him.

Oh second though I don't want Hickson.

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Last season, Martin shot 44.1% from the field and 37.0% on free throws while averaging 4.3 rpg or 6.9 rebounds per 36 minutes.  I'm just not convinced he is worth signing.

This is the key with Martin.  If he was the Kenyon Martin of 10 years ago, you sign him without a second thought and deal with anything that may arise.  However, he just isn't an impact player anymore.  He may not be as good as the guys you already have, and could then just be an extra headache with no real advantage.

It would be different if the C's really were desperate for help, but they really aren't.  They need to continue improving with their team defense and rebounding, but there aren't many guys on the street who are going to come in and make a big difference with that right now...any more than the improvement of guys becoming more comfortable in the system will. 

Yes, the C's may need to get an upgrade in the frontcourt if they want to really have a good shot at a championship, but that is not Kenyon Martin (nor is it Chris Andersen, or anyone else currently out there).

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 09:07:14 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Millsap might be the same height/weight as Brandon Bass but he plays like a big instead of a wing. While competing for minutes Millsap is averaging 14/8 over 30 minutes. Compare that to Bass's 10/5 in 28 minutes with far less competition at his position.

Oh and Millsap is in a contract year which not only means he has a reason to play harder but it also means we might have some cap space when the season is over.

Varejao shouldn't even need a defense. Statistically he's the best front court player in the eastern conference this season. The only guys close are Noah and Bosh. That is reasonable company for a guy making 7.7M.

Thompson is probably out of reach for what we'd offer but he'd be a steal if we can land him.

Oh second though I don't want Hickson.

They both might be currently fuctioning as undersized centers, but man are they sure playing [dang] good basketball. AV more so than Hickson. As much as Ive always disliked AV, I would be more than happy to get him here as an undersized center, power forward, 6th man, or new mascot for all I care.

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 09:18:24 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I find it funny that anyone would want Jason Thompson on this C's team.  He makes Mark Blount look tough. 

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 09:26:51 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
all this about kmart. i dont mind the celtics signing him since he would serve AT MOST as a back up to the celtics' backup big men.

how many minutes do you think he would average over the course or a season? how many "dnp  coach's decision" would he rack up?

at best, he is a nice defensive big man who no longer can score or rebound with consistency.

if any believes he will in any way transform the celtics front court play they will be disappointed.

ainge must think that he can do better if he waits. let's see if he is right.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 09:36:44 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Chris Andersen is better in every way (other than shooting).  If we're going after guys with questionable states of mind he should have been the first option, not KMart and Darko.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale