Author Topic: Celtics ‘wary’ of bringing in Kenyon Martin  (Read 8514 times)

Celtics ‘wary’ of bringing in Kenyon Martin
« on: December 02, 2012, 10:39:33 PM »

Offline kp4000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13
Just came across this article on NBC's probasketball

The Celtics are going to be patient filling their roster because there is not a plethora of quality big men on the market to help immediately with rebounding. They are wary of the attitude and disposition of Kenyon Martin, who was not asked back to the Clippers because of his unhappiness with coach Vinny Del Negro. They may wait to see who’s available as of Jan. 5, when contracts become fully guaranteed for the season.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/02/celtics-wary-of-bringing-in-kenyon-martin-to-fill-teams-roster-spot/

Viewers can click on link and read the rest of story. So here's my problem with the Celtics being reluctant to sign Martin. The Celtics are in serious trouble with their front court depth. As currently constructed, the Celtics are too small and too offensive minded. They're being destroyed on the offensive and defensive boards, because they don't have a big man or men that can guard the paint and rebound effectively.

Everyone in and outside of Celtics Nation can see the Celtics struggles. Poor rebounding, defending and lack of energy is what is hurting the Celtics and why they're 9-8, sinking in the conference standings. Personally, I'm not a fan of some Danny Ainge's past or present signings. I think at times, Ainge has done nothing to address the Celtics recent flaws. 

Ainge's best off-season: 2007, 2010
Garnett
Allen
Posey
House
Brown
Cassell
Pollard

2010-2011
S.O'Neal
J.O'Neal
D.West
A.Bradley
S.Erden
L.Harengody

Why are the Celtics holding out, who knows, but the Celtics need to do minor tweeking to this roster before it's too late.

Re: Celtics ‘wary’ of bringing in Kenyon Martin
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 11:06:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Last season, Martin shot 44.1% from the field and 37.0% on free throws while averaging 4.3 rpg or 6.9 rebounds per 36 minutes.  I'm just not convinced he is worth signing.

I think the best thing is to keep with the current roster and more or less force Doc to give Sullinger minutes by giving him no other options.  If Ainge brought in Martin, I think his minutes would come at the expense of Sullinger and not Bass or Wilcox.  If it becomes obvious that Sullinger has plateaued for the season and is just not going to improve on defense to a level the team is happy with, then you can bring in someone like Martin if you think he will upgrade the D.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:52:58 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
The fact that a healthy K-Mart can't get any NBA team to take him, despite him practically begging for a roster spot, tells me that when a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bag with talent gets older and less talented, it isn't worth it for teams to deal with the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bag when they're not getting the talent anymore.

There are plenty of solid citizens who can be the Celtics 5th big and not cause any waves in the locker room, coaches room, or front office.  Like Chris Wilcox, for example, someone who his teammates have grown very fond of in a short period of time. 

The only reason I add K Mart is if I want to bring in some toughness.  However, I think that we can get that toughness from Sully as he gets acclimated to the league, and one of the keys to the Cs' playoff success is getting Sully as an impact guy in the playoffs.  Sullinger needs his minutes.   

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 09:59:52 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
The fact that a healthy K-Mart can't get any NBA team to take him, despite him practically begging for a roster spot, tells me that when a ****bag with talent gets older and less talented, it isn't worth it for teams to deal with the ****bag when they're not getting the talent anymore.

There are plenty of solid citizens who can be the Celtics 5th big and not cause any waves in the locker room, coaches room, or front office.  Like Chris Wilcox, for example, someone who his teammates have grown very fond of in a short period of time. 

The only reason I add K Mart is if I want to bring in some toughness.  However, I think that we can get that toughness from Sully as he gets acclimated to the league, and one of the keys to the Cs' playoff success is getting Sully as an impact guy in the playoffs.  Sullinger needs his minutes.

Although i completely agree with these sentiments here TripleOT, to be fair to K-Mart i don't think anyone on the Clippers is enamored with Del Negro.

I think i heard just the other day they all held a closed door meeting over this very subject (the unhappines with Del Negro) so im a little unsure as to what i should beleive.

But i do agree that when a player gets older and has less upside all teams in the league are less willing to deal with the shenanigans that comes with some of the higher maintenance personalities.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:08:42 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney

Although i completely agree with these sentiments here TripleOT, to be fair to K-Mart i don't think anyone on the Clippers is enamored with Del Negro.

I think i heard just the other day they all held a closed door meeting over this very subject (the unhappines with Del Negro) so im a little unsure as to what i should beleive.

But i do agree that when a player gets older and has less upside all teams in the league are less willing to deal with the shenanigans that comes with some of the higher maintenance personalities.

How great would it be if DelNegro got fired and Phil Jackson hired to coach the Clippers this season? 

Although I can't imagine Sterling ponying up to pay Jax, it would be the ultimate F.U. to the Lakers. 

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:21:33 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton

How great would it be if DelNegro got fired and Phil Jackson hired to coach the Clippers this season? 

Although I can't imagine Sterling ponying up to pay Jax, it would be the ultimate F.U. to the Lakers.

Very true although it's Sterling we're talking about here.. And i don't wanna see any team from La La Land doing well.

Phil's whole schtick is better received on the West Coast for obvious reasons, and i like that they are loaded and underachieving. The fact they are holding these closed door player meetings tells me they are well aware of this. I just don't want them to hit their stride at the Celtics expense.
Although admittedley that is far down the road (cross your fingers) but i despise Paul now and Griffin and all his animated posturing just makes me yearn for someone to lay him out mid-air.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:47:10 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney

Very true although it's Sterling we're talking about here.. And i don't wanna see any team from La La Land doing well.

Phil's whole schtick is better received on the West Coast for obvious reasons, and i like that they are loaded and underachieving. The fact they are holding these closed door player meetings tells me they are well aware of this. I just don't want them to hit their stride at the Celtics expense.
Although admittedley that is far down the road (cross your fingers) but i despise Paul now and Griffin and all his animated posturing just makes me yearn for someone to lay him out mid-air.

Do you realize how much the Lakers and their fans would hate it if the Clips under Jax won the title?  It would be a great moment for Celtics fans.  The enemy of my enemy is my friend. 

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:59:02 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
I see where your going. I do. But i hate EVERYTHING LA. The fact they get players to just land in their laps for the weather and lifestyle kills me. The surfer west coast bias kills me. I despise it all.

They are spoiled but will never acknowledge it. We over here actually have to put together Championship squads through good GMing, Good coaching, and tradition. We don't have weather and an entire media geared simply to the Celtics like they do in LA.

It's very much an unfair fight yet we're simply ahead still. That in itself is a small miracle.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 11:56:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Kenyon would be better than Collins unless we really need post defense, but not by much. Offensively both are disasters.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 12:03:47 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Personality issues aside, Kenyon was pretty awful last year by pretty much any metric.

There's a good chance he's just flat out cooked. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:20:21 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Last season, Martin shot 44.1% from the field and 37.0% on free throws while averaging 4.3 rpg or 6.9 rebounds per 36 minutes.  I'm just not convinced he is worth signing.

I think the best thing is to keep with the current roster and more or less force Doc to give Sullinger minutes by giving him no other options.  If Ainge brought in Martin, I think his minutes would come at the expense of Sullinger and not Bass or Wilcox.  If it becomes obvious that Sullinger has plateaued for the season and is just not going to improve on defense to a level the team is happy with, then you can bring in someone like Martin if you think he will upgrade the D.

You summed up my biggest fear. Let's not give Doc too many options...Sully needs his minutes.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 01:16:08 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm not for signing KMart unless we make a trade and move Bass/Sully. I think another undersized big isn't really something we need at the moment. Unfortunately if we move Bass or Sully we'll probably get a big in return so we still wouldn't need KMart.

I want Jason Thompson, Paul Millsap, JJ Hickson or Anderson Varejao. I'll even take Luke Walton's corpse to get Varejao. It would take Green and another middle-to-large contract to make the money work but then we'd have to pursue a SF backup option after moving Green. We could try get C.J. Miles into the deal as well and swap a rookie for him. I'd prefer to move Melo and I imagine the Cavs would prefer him too after moving Varejao. They aren't exactly hurting at PF so I suspect they'll want Lee instead of Bass. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Varejao/Walton/Miles
for
Green/Bass/Melo

And at that point KMart won't be necessary.

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 01:49:01 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm not for signing KMart unless we make a trade and move Bass/Sully. I think another undersized big isn't really something we need at the moment. Unfortunately if we move Bass or Sully we'll probably get a big in return so we still wouldn't need KMart.

I want Jason Thompson, Paul Millsap, JJ Hickson or Anderson Varejao.

Paul Millsap is an undersized power forward who is listed at approximately the same height and weight as Brandon Bass.  Anderson Varejao and JJ Hickson may be closer to what is considered as ideal size for a power forward, but both are currently functioning as undersized starting centers.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 01:59:11 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I see where your going. I do. But i hate EVERYTHING LA. The fact they get players to just land in their laps for the weather and lifestyle kills me. The surfer west coast bias kills me. I despise it all.

They are spoiled but will never acknowledge it. We over here actually have to put together Championship squads through good GMing, Good coaching, and tradition. We don't have weather and an entire media geared simply to the Celtics like they do in LA.

It's very much an unfair fight yet we're simply ahead still. That in itself is a small miracle.
spoken with a punch like a true hooligan lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 02:17:29 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
This article is nonsense.

There's no way anyone can hate on K-Mart for disliking Vinny Del  Negro.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.