Author Topic: Anybody else like the Sully/Collins combo last night?  (Read 1575 times)

Anybody else like the Sully/Collins combo last night?
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:08:33 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
They both only played 13 minutes last night, and most of the time they were in together.

I know they only scored two points combined.

However, they grabbed 5 rebounds each in those 13 minutes, Sully 4 defensive and 1 offensive and Collins 3 defensive and 2 offensive.

The Celtics seemed to control the boards when the were in and Collins had a +/- of -1 and Sully -3.

I know +/- can be deceptive (e.g, Green's was -19 and Lee -4, and they both played respectable games), but I wouldn't mind seeing more of Sully and Collins in together, as long as the other three players are scorers.

Anybody else notice that combo, and what'd you think?

Re: Anybody else like the Sully/Collins combo last night?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 02:39:57 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Considering Sully is an average defensive player, Collins is a horrendous defensive player and neither is a beast on offense...not really.  Plus neither is exactly what you would call...nimble.

Willcox has offensive talent, he's defending better than Collins, ahs he's a better rebounder.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Collins does a few things right.

One of them is being a big ass 7 footer.

Having a tree helps when you want boards. Any other player that big would help too is what I think.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Considering Sully is an average defensive player, Collins is a horrendous defensive player and neither is a beast on offense...not really.  Plus neither is exactly what you would call...nimble.

Willcox has offensive talent, he's defending better than Collins, ahs he's a better rebounder.

But Collins is much better of a rebounder than Wilcox... Just cause Wilcox had more mins doesn't mean u can go to conclusions, Collins has the size, experience and IQ to be on a higher level than Wilcox at Rebounding&Defence. No offense to Wilcox, he is still a beter overall player, but not in JC's specialties! #StartJCDoc
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 03:19:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Nope. They looked fairly impotent out there together.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:26:35 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
For better or worse, the Celts were definitely at their "beefiest" with those two out there together. 
Yup

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 04:34:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
 I would like a Gortat and Sully combo alot better, two decent interior bigs who can pass.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle

But Collins is much better of a rebounder than Wilcox... Just cause Wilcox had more mins doesn't mean u can go to conclusions, Collins has the size, experience and IQ to be on a higher level than Wilcox at Rebounding&Defence. No offense to Wilcox, he is still a beter overall player, but not in JC's specialties! #StartJCDoc

He HAS it, but why is he underperforming?
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 06:00:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

What the heck is this based on?  Your opinion because their stats don't bear this out.

Collins

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jason_collins/career_stats.html

Career 3.9 RPG

Wilcox

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_wilcox/career_stats.html

Career 5.0  RPG

Wilcox even has 256 more rebounds than Collins.  Please get your facts straight.  Wilcox is a lot more mobile than Collins.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:20:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Collins has a career 10.7% TRB.  Wilcox is at 14.5%.  It is probably due to small sample size that Collins has a higher percentage this season. (12.2% vs 10.3%)
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 06:35:17 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
i fully believe sully will take some of bass's minutes by season end
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 06:59:16 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'm not really excited about Collins.  He seems to be usually doing the right thing, but not always very well.

But I did truly love the lineup that included Pierce at SG, Green, Sully, and KG.

Green got to play his natural position, Sully was great on the boards next to KG, who was a force inside and on defense.  To me, this is probably our best lineup.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 08:12:04 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
good point above, but i have a few of questions for everyone. it seems that the celtics have to figure out some way to put sully in the game a bit more.

looking at rebounds over 40 minutes, sully is either #1 or barely #2 (behind KG) on the team. he is looking pretty good for a rookie drafted in the early 20s spot.

my first questions are - who will lose those minutes to sully? and, should sully play more center or pf?

i think as the season goes on, collins and wilcox will lose some minutes, but this assumes sully as a center, correct?

might sully be better as pf and wilcox/KG as center? in which case, bass will have his minutes reduced.

so....final question is this - who do you all think is the best front court partner for sully from among the current celtic roster?

i await enlightenment from my fellow cb posters.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd like to know how the team's rebound rate with those two out there compared to their average.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 08:20:43 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
i fully believe sully will take some of bass's minutes by season end

He already has considering what bass was playing last year.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?