Author Topic: how much does the nba suck?  (Read 9360 times)

Re: how much does the nba suck?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 05:06:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
it's a sport where individuals can make an impact more so than any other sport.  It's what makes players like Russell, Jordan, Hakeem, Magic, Bird, etc so darn iconic.  Right now this is King James' league... he could hang with any of those greats.

It's a fact.  LeBron James could hang with any superstar in the league's history.  He's incredible.  Great players like Bird have flat out said this.  Bron is incredible.  NO level of denial is going to change the fact that he's the best player in this league and the transcendent type of player who could fit in with/against any former player in history.

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
David Stern Loves LarBrd33.
I live in Seattle.  The one thing I think he deserves flack for is his handling of the Sonics.  But I think it's clear to me that Seattle will have a team before Stern steps down.  It's his swan song.  He's going to make up for his biggest mistake.

The rest of the stuff (like the misunderstood/misrepresented "veto") is mostly poppycock.

It's just that outside of Stern's coming down on Popovich I can't agree with the rest of your initial post about the NBA.

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 05:12:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm not trying to insult you, but this post is just a regurgitation of a lot of tired tropes about the NBA that people trot out every time their team isn't winning or something happens that they don't agree with.

The NBA is not perfect, but for all its flaws, the product on the floor has actually never been better, all things considered, and the league is in many respects the best among the three major sports (four if you count hockey, I guess).  Hate on the NBA all you want, but the fact that you are here posting on a forum about the Boston Celtics is pretty strong evidence that even you find yourself invested in it, despite yourself.

Bingo.

Thirded.  The NBA isn't perfect, but it hardly sucks, and I can't for the life of me figure out why someone who thought so would be on an NBA blog.

The vague "ain't what she used ta be!" quality of most of these complaints just remind me of this:

And compounding it, I've heard many of these exact same complaints since I was a kid in the 80s (which is now "the good ol' days").  Apparently the game has been going continually downhill since they took the bottoms off the peach baskets. 

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
it's a sport where individuals can make an impact more so than any other sport.  It's what makes players like Russell, Jordan, Hakeem, Magic, Bird, etc so darn iconic.  Right now this is King James' league... he could hang with any of those greats.

It's a fact.  LeBron James could hang with any superstar in the league's history.  He's incredible.  Great players like Bird have flat out said this.  Bron is incredible.  NO level of denial is going to change the fact that he's the best player in this league and the transcendent type of player who could fit in with/against any former player in history.

Really?

Larry said that LeBron was in his league?

He's the best player RIGHT NOW, but comparing him to Russell, Hakeem, Larry, Magic...

Maybe I'm just too old school, but LeBron, while talented, couldn't hold a candle to the old-time greats.

KG in his prime would be too much of a load for LeBron, especially.

LeBron still had trouble keeping 35 y.o. Pierce under wraps in the playoffs, too.

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
While I'm not a fan of the way LeBron has been marketed for essentially his entire life (he was on the cover of SI at 16, right?), it's very possible that he could finish his career as one of the greatest players of all time.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 05:35:57 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Not even close to enough for

me
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 05:37:29 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't think the NBA sucks at all.  It's the only sports league that I watch with regularity.  Admittedly, I don't find a lot of time for games where my Celtics aren't involved, but luckily, I don't really need to as the Celtics play 82 games a year and play every team in the league at least once. 

Sometimes I'll even tune in to one of the big match ups when my team isn't playing.

I don't think it's run perfectly, but, then again, what is? 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 06:02:15 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
How bad is the Nba?

With this recent zspurs fines and ridiculousness it just makes me hats the NBA even more. Stern blocked a trade last year. This year fining a team for sitting players.

The game has geared entirely to promoting individuals and not teams

Stars essentially can choose or force there way on to any team they want.

Suspensions are ridiculous these days. Flagrants/technicals are ridiculous.

The league is run by stars. If you don't have the best stars you aren't going anywhere.

Stars get by far more favorded calls than any other league.

The refs are by far the worst out of any sport.

Defense has pretty much been taking out of the game (see docs comments) you cant touch anyone these days.

What else am I missing? This is just off the top of.my head of things that frustrate me on a daily basis with the NBA. Aren't there definitely a lot more negatives about the NBA than positives?

The NBA doesn't suck... it's awesome. It's at a high point right.  Even some of the league's bottom feeders have exciting young talent.  There are surreal otherworldly players like LeBron James and Kevin Durant.  Point guards like Chris Paul who could stand toe to toe with the greatest of all time.   Veterans in their mid-to-late 30s like Kobe, Duncan, Pierce and KG who are defying the odds and playing at extremely high levels (Duncan, for instance, is the 4th best player in the league statistically so far)...  It's just an awesome league right now.  I love it.

The center position is weak right now.  Beyond that, it's a fantastic league all-around. 

The refs aren't corrupt and the league isn't fixed.  Most of the things people hate David Stern for is utter nonsense (like the ridiculous lotto conspiracy theories propagated by people who don't even understand how the lotto works).  He's done a fantastic job overall and deserves a lot of credit.

The suspensions aren't ridiculous... Rondo instigated a brawl and got 2 games.  He got off light.  I wouldn't have argued with a 1 month suspension for what he did.  The Humphries foul on KG wasn't even that hard.  The NBA has done a good job of keeping things in check post Pistons/Pacers brawl.

This league has always been dominated by stars.  That's part of what makes the NBA so great... it's a sport where individuals can make an impact more so than any other sport.  It's what makes players like Russell, Jordan, Hakeem, Magic, Bird, etc so darn iconic.  Right now this is King James' league... he could hang with any of those greats.  This has always been a league of dynasties.  It's always been a league of superstars.  The lack of parity is great.  We're freakin Boston Celtics fans.  Part of what makes this team so historically relevant is the 11 championships Bill Russell (primarily) brought us.   

Stopped reading right there.

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 06:03:48 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
David Stern Loves LarBrd33.

Wouldn't surprise me if LarBrd33 was David Stern lol.

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
While I'm not a fan of the way LeBron has been marketed for essentially his entire life (he was on the cover of SI at 16, right?), it's very possible that he could finish his career as one of the greatest players of all time.

Hes already one of the greatest players of all time. He'll never be that greatest tho. Him leaving his team to join wade looks horrible on his resume.

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 06:47:47 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Hes already one of the greatest players of all time. He'll never be that greatest tho. Him leaving his team to join wade looks horrible on his resume.

Bingo.

Even though it could be argued that Larry had Chief and Kevin....Magic had Kareem and Worthy, etc.

But neither of these two (Larry, Magic) would join up with anyone else, though.

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 07:00:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I have to say Wade basically saved his career by convincing LBJ and Bosh to join him in Miami. Dude has severely fallen off in the last couple years.

Anyway, I'm pretty much with LarBrd33 on this one. The NBA is far from sucky right now.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 09:08:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Compared to the 80s it blows.....

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
So at one time we were all clamoring for there to even be a season during last yr's strike.

Fast-Forward a year later now the NBA sucks.

I find it to be a love hate relationship. I love the NBA, but I hate how it's run.

I mostly hate the NBA but love the Celtics.

Watching a none Celtic game is very painful for me to watch. I'm forced to because I'm so invested in the Celtics but especially when it is poorly officiated it is just painful. Of course that's not always the case.

Thought of another bad thing, NBA players in general are extremely unlikable
wow, it's like I wrote this myself.  TP for saving me the effort

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i love the nba

stop focusing on the politics
concentrate on the ballas that work hard to get to this level..

stern who?

*sippin*