Author Topic: how much does the nba suck?  (Read 9362 times)

Re: how much does the nba suck?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'm not trying to insult you, but this post is just a regurgitation of a lot of tired tropes about the NBA that people trot out every time their team isn't winning or something happens that they don't agree with.

The NBA is not perfect, but for all its flaws, the product on the floor has actually never been better, all things considered, and the league is in many respects the best among the three major sports (four if you count hockey, I guess).  Hate on the NBA all you want, but the fact that you are here posting on a forum about the Boston Celtics is pretty strong evidence that even you find yourself invested in it, despite yourself.

Bingo.

There is no bingo. Everything the OP said is 100 percent correct. This has nothing to do with how well or bad the celtics play. The NBA is a complete joke.

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 04:46:44 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I love watching the Celtics today as much as I have my whole life (been watching/listening to C's games since the 60's).  I've never been very entertained by watching NBA games that the C's are not playing in.

So I guess my answer to your thread title question is, it doesn't. The NBA is about entertainment and I am very entertained by the Boston entry.  When I am not entertained anymore, I'll stop watching. I really don't think any deeper about it than that.

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Cut 1 or 2 teams from the east and west.

Make bigger restrictions for players forcing their way out.

Trim the fat on the rules. 

David Stern out.....Charles Barkley in! At least he'd be funny to listen to.

But they need some one in office that has played. Bird,Magic,Jordan,Robinson etc.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
How bad is the Nba?

With this recent zspurs fines and ridiculousness it just makes me hats the NBA even more. Stern blocked a trade last year. This year fining a team for sitting players.

The game has geared entirely to promoting individuals and not teams

Stars essentially can choose or force there way on to any team they want.

Suspensions are ridiculous these days. Flagrants/technicals are ridiculous.

The league is run by stars. If you don't have the best stars you aren't going anywhere.

Stars get by far more favorded calls than any other league.

The refs are by far the worst out of any sport.

Defense has pretty much been taking out of the game (see docs comments) you cant touch anyone these days.

What else am I missing? This is just off the top of.my head of things that frustrate me on a daily basis with the NBA. Aren't there definitely a lot more negatives about the NBA than positives?

I understand your angst, but you have to remember that even though you feel like you do, the beauty of the NBA is when "Teams" can overcome "Superstars" and win.

Both BOS and San Antonio were VERY close to doing just that last year. These two teams were among the final four.

And we all know that if we had AB or Wilcox and Green - the outcome could've been different.

Most of us here like OKC...they lost to MIA in the finals because Durant wasn't ready to defend LeBron and wasn't on his level, yet. Maybe that will change this year.

Now YES - I saw most of the games, and it "appeared" as if Durant couldn't defend Lebron because of the officiating at times.

But then how do you defend Russell Westbrook letting Super Mario Chalmers go off for 25 pts in that Game 3? Can't blame the officials, there.

For all the league's faults, like you stated - I don't believe it's a lost cause.

True "Teams" still win and can still win it all. I'm expecting BOS to be right there with MIA when it's all said and done.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
How bad is the Nba?

With this recent zspurs fines and ridiculousness it just makes me hats the NBA even more. Stern blocked a trade last year. This year fining a team for sitting players.

The league is run by stars. If you don't have the best stars you aren't going anywhere.

Defense has pretty much been taking out of the game (see docs comments) you cant touch anyone these days.

What else am I missing? This is just off the top of.my head of things that frustrate me on a daily basis with the NBA. Aren't there definitely a lot more negatives about the NBA than positives?

tp.  i rarely ever watch a game that the celts arent in anymore.  i watch the celts bc they are in my blood and i love bball, but i cant mess with the nba anymore.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 05:27:38 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
The Spurs are completely at fault here.
You can't sit your stars and give the NBA no notice.
David Stern can't let other teams set a precedent- then every team could just sit players without warning and even more fans would be super p---ed.
4 games in 5 days is tough but it's why you get paid MILLIONS of dollars.
Imagine the san antonio fans in Florida who would have gone to that game hoping to see their idols for that one game a year to find out that now they have to watch Blair, Splitter and some other bums for the $200- $2000 they paid for 4 tickets.
You just can't do that without reasonable notice- it's very bad for the game.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 05:35:56 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
The Spurs are completely at fault here.
You can't sit your stars and give the NBA no notice.
David Stern can't let other teams set a precedent- then every team could just sit players without warning and even more fans would be super p---ed.
4 games in 5 days is tough but it's why you get paid MILLIONS of dollars.
Imagine the san antonio fans in Florida who would have gone to that game hoping to see their idols for that one game a year to find out that now they have to watch Blair, Splitter and some other bums for the $200- $2000 they paid for 4 tickets.
You just can't do that without reasonable notice- it's very bad for the game.

wrong thread dude (i think u meant the stern/spurs thread)

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 05:41:33 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
How bad is the Nba?

tp.  i rarely ever watch a game that the celts arent in anymore.  i watch the celts bc they are in my blood and i love bball, but i cant mess with the nba anymore.

Same here, i never watch a NBA game the celtics aren't in. Only exception is the playoffs. Once the celtics turn to trash again im a probably stop watching the NBA completely and just watch the NFL.

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 03:41:59 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I like the talk here some agree some disagree.

Im surprised that some people think that it has gotten better. I mean its marketed incredibly. They have an A+ marketing team and they are making a ton of money. I know the sport has grown but does that necessarily make it better?

Hey also didn't Stern shut down the whole Stan Van Gundy on espn thing? Just dictating like a ...

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm not trying to insult you, but this post is just a regurgitation of a lot of tired tropes about the NBA that people trot out every time their team isn't winning or something happens that they don't agree with.

The NBA is not perfect, but for all its flaws, the product on the floor has actually never been better, all things considered, and the league is in many respects the best among the three major sports (four if you count hockey, I guess).  Hate on the NBA all you want, but the fact that you are here posting on a forum about the Boston Celtics is pretty strong evidence that even you find yourself invested in it, despite yourself.

What he said.

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 04:46:46 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
So at one time we were all clamoring for there to even be a season during last yr's strike.

Fast-Forward a year later now the NBA sucks.

I find it to be a love hate relationship. I love the NBA, but I hate how it's run.

Thought of another bad thing, NBA players in general are extremely unlikable

I don't see how you can find NBA players more unlikable than other athletes... especially NFL players.  For every dislikable thing about NBA players, I can definitely find at least 2 about NFL players.  And I don't find a lot of MLB players any more likable either - particularly some the Red Sox have employed over the past few years or ones recently having lied to grand juries under oath.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 04:48:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
How bad is the Nba?

The NBA doesn't suck... it's awesome. It's at a high point right.  Even some of the league's bottom feeders have exciting young talent.  There are surreal otherworldly players like LeBron James and Kevin Durant.  Point guards like Chris Paul who could stand toe to toe with the greatest of all time.   Veterans in their mid-to-late 30s like Kobe, Duncan, Pierce and KG who are defying the odds and playing at extremely high levels (Duncan, for instance, is the 4th best player in the league statistically so far)...  It's just an awesome league right now.  I love it.

The center position is weak right now.  Beyond that, it's a fantastic league all-around. 

The refs aren't corrupt and the league isn't fixed.  Most of the things people hate David Stern for is utter nonsense (like the ridiculous lotto conspiracy theories propagated by people who don't even understand how the lotto works).  He's done a fantastic job overall and deserves a lot of credit.

The suspensions aren't ridiculous... Rondo instigated a brawl and got 2 games.  He got off light.  I wouldn't have argued with a 1 month suspension for what he did.  The Humphries foul on KG wasn't even that hard.  The NBA has done a good job of keeping things in check post Pistons/Pacers brawl.

This league has always been dominated by stars.  That's part of what makes the NBA so great... it's a sport where individuals can make an impact more so than any other sport.  It's what makes players like Russell, Jordan, Hakeem, Magic, Bird, etc so darn iconic.  Right now this is King James' league... he could hang with any of those greats.  This has always been a league of dynasties.  It's always been a league of superstars.  The lack of parity is great.  We're freakin Boston Celtics fans.  Part of what makes this team so historically relevant is the 11 championships Bill Russell (primarily) brought us.     
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:59:41 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 04:57:54 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
David Stern Loves LarBrd33.

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
David Stern Loves LarBrd33.
I live in Seattle.  The one thing I think he deserves flack for is his handling of the Sonics.  But I think it's clear to me that Seattle will have a team before Stern steps down.  It's his swan song.  He's going to make up for his biggest mistake.

The rest of the stuff (like the misunderstood/misrepresented "veto") is mostly poppycock.

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
it's a sport where individuals can make an impact more so than any other sport.  It's what makes players like Russell, Jordan, Hakeem, Magic, Bird, etc so darn iconic.  Right now this is King James' league... he could hang with any of those greats.