Author Topic: how much does the nba suck?  (Read 9432 times)

Re: how much does the nba suck?
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
it's a sport where individuals can make an impact more so than any other sport.  It's what makes players like Russell, Jordan, Hakeem, Magic, Bird, etc so darn iconic.  Right now this is King James' league... he could hang with any of those greats.

It's a fact.  LeBron James could hang with any superstar in the league's history.  He's incredible.  Great players like Bird have flat out said this.  Bron is incredible.  NO level of denial is going to change the fact that he's the best player in this league and the transcendent type of player who could fit in with/against any former player in history.

Really?

Larry said that LeBron was in his league?

He's the best player RIGHT NOW, but comparing him to Russell, Hakeem, Larry, Magic...

Maybe I'm just too old school, but LeBron, while talented, couldn't hold a candle to the old-time greats.

KG in his prime would be too much of a load for LeBron, especially.

LeBron still had trouble keeping 35 y.o. Pierce under wraps in the playoffs, too.

Yeah dude... in a sea of denial, you gotta go to a legend to get some truth.

Larry Bird:  "He [LeBron] actually carried them all the way through the playoffs," Bird said during an interview with ESPN. "If you go back to the beginning of the playoffs, has anyone ever had a better run? It'd seem like you'd have a bad game once in awhile. He never did have a bad game. He was so focused. You just saw his confidence build and build and build. He should go down in history as one of the top players and maybe he can get close to Michael [Jordan]."

James statistically is already up there with anyone who has ever played the game.  He's been the the Finals 3 times and finally has a ring.  If we are comparing 27 year old Michael Jordan to 27 year old LeBron James... you might have to take LeBron over him.  True fact.

Dude is already a 3 Time MVP, a 2 time Gold Medalist... an 8 time allstar...   He could absolutely "Hang" with any player who has ever played the game.  He's like a hybrid of Magic Johnson with early Jordan... in Karl Malone's body.  He would match up well with the legends of the game... and the legends would have loved playing with him.  Bird was quoted as saying LeBron would have been the most fun player of this generation to play with (same interview where he said he'd prefer playing with Kobe just because of Kobe's homicidal will to win)

I know a lot of folks here hate him, because they think he's a rival to the celtics... a lot of it is just jealousy as well.  But arguing that LeBron couldn't hang with legends like Barkley is just as ridiculous as someone in 1991 arguing that Jordan couldn't hang with legends like john havlicek.

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
How bad is the Nba?

With this recent zspurs fines and ridiculousness it just makes me hats the NBA even more. Stern blocked a trade last year. This year fining a team for sitting players.

The game has geared entirely to promoting individuals and not teams

Stars essentially can choose or force there way on to any team they want.

Suspensions are ridiculous these days. Flagrants/technicals are ridiculous.

The league is run by stars. If you don't have the best stars you aren't going anywhere.

Stars get by far more favorded calls than any other league.

The refs are by far the worst out of any sport.

Defense has pretty much been taking out of the game (see docs comments) you cant touch anyone these days.

What else am I missing? This is just off the top of.my head of things that frustrate me on a daily basis with the NBA. Aren't there definitely a lot more negatives about the NBA than positives?

The NBA doesn't suck... it's awesome. It's at a high point right.  Even some of the league's bottom feeders have exciting young talent.  There are surreal otherworldly players like LeBron James and Kevin Durant.  Point guards like Chris Paul who could stand toe to toe with the greatest of all time.   Veterans in their mid-to-late 30s like Kobe, Duncan, Pierce and KG who are defying the odds and playing at extremely high levels (Duncan, for instance, is the 4th best player in the league statistically so far)...  It's just an awesome league right now.  I love it.

The center position is weak right now.  Beyond that, it's a fantastic league all-around. 

The refs aren't corrupt and the league isn't fixed.  Most of the things people hate David Stern for is utter nonsense (like the ridiculous lotto conspiracy theories propagated by people who don't even understand how the lotto works).  He's done a fantastic job overall and deserves a lot of credit.

The suspensions aren't ridiculous... Rondo instigated a brawl and got 2 games.  He got off light.  I wouldn't have argued with a 1 month suspension for what he did.  The Humphries foul on KG wasn't even that hard.  The NBA has done a good job of keeping things in check post Pistons/Pacers brawl.

This league has always been dominated by stars.  That's part of what makes the NBA so great... it's a sport where individuals can make an impact more so than any other sport.  It's what makes players like Russell, Jordan, Hakeem, Magic, Bird, etc so darn iconic.  Right now this is King James' league... he could hang with any of those greats.  This has always been a league of dynasties.  It's always been a league of superstars.  The lack of parity is great.  We're freakin Boston Celtics fans.  Part of what makes this team so historically relevant is the 11 championships Bill Russell (primarily) brought us.   

Stopped reading right there.

I understand some folks think the league is rigged, the refs are in the NBA's pocket and trades are dictated by David Stern. 

Apparently these silly folks think it started happening AFTER 2008... you know... when David Stern forced the Wolves to trade KG to the Celtics, rigged the playoffs for a Lakers/Celtics finals and gifted a championship to a suffering Boston fanbase.   ::)

It's all silly... just silly.  This league is fantastic.  The superstars in this league are incredible... it's not an Iverson/Vince Carter league... LeBron and Durant are phenomenal.  This league is in excellent shape.  The only thing that sucks is that Boston is somewhat mediocre right now (in the regular season, at least) and there aren't a ton of great Big Men (Dwight is the best by default).  Overall, this league is awesome right now.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:47:22 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Only thing I have to complain about in any relation to the NBA is the Llama Drama that gets stirred up by the media. Its the reason I don't like Lebrondo, I think he talks too much and those glasses he always wears are borderline ridiculous...but that's besides the point, I watch games whenever they're on TV and I go out of my way to watch all the C's games. Obviously I wish my team was doing better, and Boston will probably be viewed as the bitter old men until Rondo retires. The league is great, and its pretty apparent that it goes in cycles with the good players. In the early 2000's it was all the obscure teams that were doing really well, and now it's just shifting again. Hopefully the C's can make some good moves

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 10:13:41 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Thanks LarBrd33 - I agree with I think every single thing you've posted on this page, but I'm too lazy to write it out so thoroughly.  TP. 

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2012, 10:35:05 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
How bad is the Nba?

With this recent zspurs fines and ridiculousness it just makes me hats the NBA even more. Stern blocked a trade last year. This year fining a team for sitting players.

The game has geared entirely to promoting individuals and not teams

Stars essentially can choose or force there way on to any team they want.

Suspensions are ridiculous these days. Flagrants/technicals are ridiculous.

The league is run by stars. If you don't have the best stars you aren't going anywhere.

Stars get by far more favorded calls than any other league.

The refs are by far the worst out of any sport.

Defense has pretty much been taking out of the game (see docs comments) you cant touch anyone these days.

What else am I missing? This is just off the top of.my head of things that frustrate me on a daily basis with the NBA. Aren't there definitely a lot more negatives about the NBA than positives?

The NBA doesn't suck... it's awesome. It's at a high point right.  Even some of the league's bottom feeders have exciting young talent.  There are surreal otherworldly players like LeBron James and Kevin Durant.  Point guards like Chris Paul who could stand toe to toe with the greatest of all time.   Veterans in their mid-to-late 30s like Kobe, Duncan, Pierce and KG who are defying the odds and playing at extremely high levels (Duncan, for instance, is the 4th best player in the league statistically so far)...  It's just an awesome league right now.  I love it.

The center position is weak right now.  Beyond that, it's a fantastic league all-around. 

The refs aren't corrupt and the league isn't fixed.  Most of the things people hate David Stern for is utter nonsense (like the ridiculous lotto conspiracy theories propagated by people who don't even understand how the lotto works).  He's done a fantastic job overall and deserves a lot of credit.

The suspensions aren't ridiculous... Rondo instigated a brawl and got 2 games.  He got off light.  I wouldn't have argued with a 1 month suspension for what he did.  The Humphries foul on KG wasn't even that hard.  The NBA has done a good job of keeping things in check post Pistons/Pacers brawl.

This league has always been dominated by stars.  That's part of what makes the NBA so great... it's a sport where individuals can make an impact more so than any other sport.  It's what makes players like Russell, Jordan, Hakeem, Magic, Bird, etc so darn iconic.  Right now this is King James' league... he could hang with any of those greats.  This has always been a league of dynasties.  It's always been a league of superstars.  The lack of parity is great.  We're freakin Boston Celtics fans.  Part of what makes this team so historically relevant is the 11 championships Bill Russell (primarily) brought us.   

Stopped reading right there.

I understand some folks think the league is rigged, the refs are in the NBA's pocket and trades are dictated by David Stern. 

Apparently these silly folks think it started happening AFTER 2008... you know... when David Stern forced the Wolves to trade KG to the Celtics, rigged the playoffs for a Lakers/Celtics finals and gifted a championship to a suffering Boston fanbase.   ::)

It's all silly... just silly.  This league is fantastic.  The superstars in this league are incredible... it's not an Iverson/Vince Carter league... LeBron and Durant are phenomenal.  This league is in excellent shape.  The only thing that sucks is that Boston is somewhat mediocre right now (in the regular season, at least) and there aren't a ton of great Big Men (Dwight is the best by default).  Overall, this league is awesome right now.

Yeah man, Ill drink to that. I love trying to beef up and buy into to conspiracy theories but to say its fixed it a crock. Sterns trying to make money, hes gonna do that, he isnt going to fix the league to do it.

The NBA is great. Ill continue watching because basketball is a passion, the celtics are a passion, the NBA is a passion. People have such a problem with it and complain about it all the time, just to have something to complain and whine about. Dont watch it if its going to make you upset, because those of us that enjoy it want to continue doing so.