Author Topic: Charlotte Observer: "Charlotte might pounce if Hornets give up nickname"  (Read 7643 times)

Re: "Charlotte might pounce if Hornets give up nickname"
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 04:22:27 AM »

fitzhickey

They [dang] well better. The Hornets name belongs in Charlotte. Great team name.

Team names + team history should not be allowed to move. They belong to the community they represent and should not ever be allowed to move.
Oh god, imagine the boston Lakers, or the LA celtics

Re: Charlotte Observer: "Charlotte might pounce if Hornets give up nickname"
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 05:24:39 AM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
If Charlotte gets the name back they better change the team colors and those god awful jerseys. Black and yellow is a great looking color scheme and no team in the NBA uses it, I don't understand why the Hornets didn't go with that originally.

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 04:59:19 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
If Charlotte gets the name back they better change the team colors and those god awful jerseys. Black and yellow is a great looking color scheme and no team in the NBA uses it, I don't understand why the Hornets didn't go with that originally.

I love that jersey. Very simple but still stands out from other unis and jerseys. One thing: Did you ever notice how the small stripes on the unis have different colors? I bet you hadn't.

Alas, to each his own  :)

Anyways, here's another story from the Observer:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/05/3708819/nostalgia-money-could-follow-hornets.html

The Hornets brand was hot, and not only in Charlotte. The teal and purple colors were unique, and Hornets gear was among the most popular NBA merchandise.
“This was one of the first teams to go with a designer – Alexander Julian. It was a departure from the standard look of NBA uniforms,” said Favorito, who formerly worked in media relations with the New York Knicks and Philadelphia 76ers. “They introduced something that really caught on, both in Charlotte and around the country.”
It’s still hot too. The NBA still sells Charlotte Hornets gear, which has become something of a fashion statement among teenagers and young adults for its distinctive look.
“What was cutting edge then is retro now,” Favorito said. “The Hornets playing in the Hive was probably as good a time as there’s been for (NBA) basketball in the Carolinas.
“With our economy being what it is today, people tend to look back for things they remember as good times.”

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 05:40:46 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

It's funny because if that had gone through, the Hornets would probably still exist and who knows what happens in LaLaLand? Maybe the Lakers have even more 'ships in this fantasy universe. No one to force Shaq out of town...

Oh, well. I'm pretty sure Stern is happy Kobe went out West.

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 08:12:58 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
... and if need be Utah can take nickname "Kings". 

...  the "Stormin' Mormons"....

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2012, 08:29:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Alright!!! Woo -Hoo....!!   Thats best Charlotte news in a while.  Hornets  !! All for it.