Author Topic: Kansas City Chiefs Player Kills Girlfriend then Self  (Read 13986 times)

Re: Kansas City Chiefs Player Kills Girlfriend then Self
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Who won the Sunday night game last night?  I wanted to watch until I heard Bob Costas make a blithering fool of himself.  I turned the channel. 

It ain't the gun's fault, Costas...You idiot.
Costas was apparently quoting Whitlock's article.

This however is a pretty spot on commentary.

http://voices.yahoo.com/javon-belchers-actions-bring-attention-gun-control-11918216.html

Wow...First time I've seen a Yahoo article either right or worth reading.  Thanks Moranis.

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 11:17:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Who won the Sunday night game last night?  I wanted to watch until I heard Bob Costas make a blithering fool of himself.  I turned the channel. 

It ain't the gun's fault, Costas...You idiot.
Costas was apparently quoting Whitlock's article.

This however is a pretty spot on commentary.

http://voices.yahoo.com/javon-belchers-actions-bring-attention-gun-control-11918216.html

Wow...First time I've seen a Yahoo article either right or worth reading.  Thanks Moranis.
really.  I find yahoo generally has the best commentary and news.  They are after all the second most read internet sports site in the world for a reason (and yahoo is 4th among all sites behind google, facebook, youtube).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 10:44:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
apparently the Chiefs had provided couples counseling for Belcher and Perkins.

http://news.yahoo.com/chiefs-had-given-counseling-belcher-girlfriend-145015042--nfl.html

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Terrible. They should examine his brain if possible, this sounds eerily familiar to a number of athletes who have suffered too many concussions. Here's one example:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jul/19/nfl-star-brain-injuries-destroyed

and another:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/chris-benoits-dad-son-suffered-severe-brain-damage/story?id=11471875

They have to find a way to screen guys who are at risk for this and shut them down from sports earlier, before the damage is too far gone.

How do you suggest ....Or who do you suggest do said screening?  The same "mental health professionals" who brought us the fraud of attention deficit disorder?  Who overdiagnose virtually every condition? 

Stop trying to rationalize this stuff.  There are bad people in the world.  How could you screen Belcher?...Who appears to have no history of anything remotely related to this kind of behavior.  And come to the conclusion that he was capable of this?

ADHD is overdiagnosed, yes, but it is a real disorder. There is a large amount of evidence for athletes in high impact sports who were overall good people but quickly deteriorated and killed someone close to them and/or themselves.

There is an excellent research center at Boston University that has made great progress studying the effects of repeated traumatic brain injuries on athletes. Check out their website:

http://www.bu.edu/cste/

It's a relatively new field, but if they can identify a pattern of early brain changes detectable by MRI or DTI imaging, together with genetic factors that can be seen by blood tests, that can trigger the massive degeneration that happens in these guys, this can be prevented. Look at the research. These athletes have brain tissue degeneration in their 30's and 40's that are usually only found in 90 years olds with severe dementia. These are not ways to rationalize people being bad, there are certainly a lot of bad people (for example OJ Simpson) in the world that don't have brain damage, but these athletes have well defined physically detectable brain changes indicating severe damage that is responsible for these behaviors.

Here's another article about football players and this brain disease that comes from repeated trauma.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/04/health/football-brain-disease/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

http://news.yahoo.com/chiefs-had-given-counseling-belcher-girlfriend-145015042--nfl.html

Unfortunately couples counseling does not help and  most often worsens domestic violence cases.

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 08:58:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Unfortunately couples counseling does not help and  most often worsens domestic violence cases.

Really?  I'd be interested in reading more about this.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Each case is different and needs to be assessed. The general rule is if both partners want to work together to rebuild the marriage and end the violence, couples or marriage counseling is recommended. If the case is severe then that type of counseling would not be recommended.

Its not as clear cut as you are painting it.

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 09:34:44 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i cant wrap my mind around this..

in my world..nuthin could make me go out like that.

even with money if u not happy inside it just like being broke

*sippin and pouring out a lil*

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 10:06:29 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Really?  I'd be interested in reading more about this.

Couples counseling is based on the premise that there is equal opportunity for conversation, equivalent weight placed on the goals of both couples, and equal senses of safety for each party to communicate. In a household of domestic abuse, this fundamental necessity does not exist; the sense of safety, the equal weight of goals. In general, when abuse is taking place, such counseling goes one of two ways. Either the abuser, with varying degrees of subtlety, gets the counsilor on their "side", with the abusee often too afraid or with esteem too beaten down to voice dissent. Often, then, the process of the "therapy" becomes yet another of multiple areas of "proof" that the abusee should keep their place, be less crazy, etc. On the other hand, the therapy may actually be "successful" in the sense that each party's goals become explicit and may not be convergent. Or the abusee may learn some sense of empowerment and equality. Either way, this can lead to the abuser feeling that they are losing control of their partner, of the situation...and control is one of the primary motivators of abuse. During this period of impending loss of control, violence is escalated (which is why the most dangerous time for an abusee is immediately after leaving; even though abusers generally always have some reason for violence that involved the abusee being unreasonable or royally irritating them, it's really the control; when the abusee leaves they obviously are no longer irritating the person, but they have abruptly removed the control of the situation from the abuser).

Edit: essentially, the "it takes two to tango" philosophy is one of the most damaging thoughts that perpetuates violent relationships.

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 08:35:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I'm in favor of gun control, but this is probably a kid who shouldn't have had a gun.

At Maine, he punched out a window over an issue with a girlfriend.  That was several years ago, but it suggests an issue with impulse control and anger.  If those were ongoing issues, he should have done a self-assessment and realized he shouldn't own a firearm.  I get that he could have done the same thing with a knife or a bat or whatever, but the gun certainly didn't help the situation.

From reports, he shot her nine times, then almost immediately kissed her and apologized to her.  His lack of control caused him to kill a woman he loved, and left a daughter he loved parentless. 

I don't know if this is a case where the guy just had mental health issues, or if it was due to concussions, or PEDs.  It's just tragic that if this guy had done some self-assessment, both he and his innocent victim could still be alive.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 02:27:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 04:26:23 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/jovan-belcher-mother-says-her-son-questioned-paternity-160900469--nfl.html

"Prior to turning his gun on himself, Belcher reportedly asked Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel and GM Scott Pioli to look after Zoey."

What a cowardly and selfish thing to say to someone.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 12:56:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
apparently Belcher had texted another woman that he was going to kill Perkins like a couple of months before he actually did.  The other woman thought he was joking and thus didn't report it.