Author Topic: Kansas City Chiefs Player Kills Girlfriend then Self  (Read 13997 times)

Re: Kansas City Chiefs Player Kills Girlfriend then Self
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 11:04:23 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Terrible. They should examine his brain if possible, this sounds eerily familiar to a number of athletes who have suffered too many concussions. Here's one example:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jul/19/nfl-star-brain-injuries-destroyed

and another:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/chris-benoits-dad-son-suffered-severe-brain-damage/story?id=11471875

They have to find a way to screen guys who are at risk for this and shut them down from sports earlier, before the damage is too far gone.

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 02:44:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
This is obviously a terrible tragedy, but if I have to hear one more broadcast team talk about how we "lost a member of our NFL family" and how "it's such a tragedy to lose this young man" I'm going to be sick.

The tragedy is that he murdered another human being and left his daughter an orphan, But if your watching NFL coverage today, you haven't heard anything about that, just what a "fine young man he was" (thanks dan dierdorf) and how KFC was is playing "with heavy hearts after losing their brother" (god I hate bradshaw)

Sickening. Since he was an NFL player we have to pretend that the victim was collateral damage, and go with this narrative that it's such a terrible tragedy we lost this murderer.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 02:51:34 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
This is obviously a terrible tragedy, but if I have to hear one more broadcast team talk about how we "lost a member of our NFL family" and how "it's such a tragedy to lose this young man" I'm going to be sick.

The tragedy is that he murdered another human being and left his daughter an orphan, But if your watching NFL coverage today, you haven't heard anything about that, just what a "fine young man he was" (thanks dan dierdorf) and how KFC was is playing "with heavy hearts after losing their brother" (god I hate bradshaw)

Sickening. Since he was an NFL player we have to pretend that the victim was collateral damage, and go with this narrative that it's such a terrible tragedy we lost this murderer.

co-sign, tp

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 03:01:57 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501

Nothing wrong with calling this a tragedy.  It was a tragedy for the player's family, the victim, the victim's family and the child. I think folks who knew him are reacting naturally to the shock that someone they thought they knew could fall apart so completely and do such a horrible thing.  I didn't hear anyone imply that the victim was collateral damage.  That is your interpretation. Most NFL people I heard commented on thoughts and prayers for the families involved.

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Nothing wrong with calling this a tragedy.  It was a tragedy for the player's family, the victim, the victim's family and the child. I think folks who knew him are reacting naturally to the shock that someone they thought they knew could fall apart so completely and do such a horrible thing.  I didn't hear anyone imply that the victim was collateral damage.  That is your interpretation. Most NFL people I heard commented on thoughts and prayers for the families involved.

Right, that would be fine if it was actually what the NFL is going with this afternoon. But it isn't, the brocast teams are ignoring or barley mentioning the fact that this guy murdered someone.

As a counter example, what was the narrative when Benoit murdered his family and himself? you remember a whole lot of heart felt messages about what a "tragedy" it was for his family and friends in the WWF and how we should understand and sympathize with him because benoit killed himself afterwards? Or how we shouldn't judge because we "all have demons?" (another pregame qoute btw)

Or do you remember the focus on  the innocent victims, which is where it should have been placed?

My problem is the coverage by the NFL today, not a disagreement with what you posted.

Hell, if you watched the pregame and halftime show, you'd be hard pressed to even find a mention of the fact that a 25 year old women was murdered. They mentioned that, briefly, in the pregame, and haven't brought it up since.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 03:56:21 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Right, that would be fine if it was actually what the NFL is going with this afternoon. But it isn't, the brocast teams are ignoring or barley mentioning the fact that this guy murdered someone.

As a counter example, what was the narrative when Benoit murdered his family and himself? you remember a whole lot of heart felt messages about what a "tragedy" it was for his family and friends in the WWF and how we should understand and sympathize with him because benoit killed himself afterwards? Or how we shouldn't judge because we "all have demons?" (another pregame qoute btw)

Or do you remember the focus on  the innocent victims, which is where it should have been placed?

My problem is the coverage by the NFL today, not a disagreement with what you posted.

Hell, if you watched the pregame and halftime show, you'd be hard pressed to even find a mention of the fact that a 25 year old women was murdered. They mentioned that, briefly, in the pregame, and haven't brought it up since.

I hear ya Crownsy.

Yup

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Interesting and good point crownsy.  You NEVER hear the media sympathize or feel for the "victims" that are other murderers who have committed murder-suicides if those people are outside of the entertainment industry.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 05:44:32 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

co-sign, tp

I was going to say the same thing.

Cowardly piece of garbage.  Stop trying to rationalize this stuff.  The trajedy is the people affected.  But any redeeming quality Belcher had....Like Benoit...Should be forgotten.

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Terrible. They should examine his brain if possible, this sounds eerily familiar to a number of athletes who have suffered too many concussions. Here's one example:

and another:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/chris-benoits-dad-son-suffered-severe-brain-damage/story?id=11471875

They have to find a way to screen guys who are at risk for this and shut them down from sports earlier, before the damage is too far gone.

How do you suggest ....Or who do you suggest do said screening?  The same "mental health professionals" who brought us the fraud of attention deficit disorder?  Who overdiagnose virtually every condition? 

Stop trying to rationalize this stuff.  There are bad people in the world.  How could you screen Belcher?...Who appears to have no history of anything remotely related to this kind of behavior.  And come to the conclusion that he was capable of this?

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 06:07:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

and another:

How do you suggest ....Or who do you suggest do said screening?  The same "mental health professionals" who brought us the fraud of attention deficit disorder?  Who overdiagnose virtually every condition? 

Stop trying to rationalize this stuff.  There are bad people in the world.  How could you screen Belcher?...Who appears to have no history of anything remotely related to this kind of behavior.  And come to the conclusion that he was capable of this?

ADHD is overdiagnosed, yes, but it is a real disorder. There is a large amount of evidence for athletes in high impact sports who were overall good people but quickly deteriorated and killed someone close to them and/or themselves.

There is an excellent research center at Boston University that has made great progress studying the effects of repeated traumatic brain injuries on athletes. Check out their website:

http://www.bu.edu/cste/

It's a relatively new field, but if they can identify a pattern of early brain changes detectable by MRI or DTI imaging, together with genetic factors that can be seen by blood tests, that can trigger the massive degeneration that happens in these guys, this can be prevented. Look at the research. These athletes have brain tissue degeneration in their 30's and 40's that are usually only found in 90 years olds with severe dementia. These are not ways to rationalize people being bad, there are certainly a lot of bad people (for example OJ Simpson) in the world that don't have brain damage, but these athletes have well defined physically detectable brain changes indicating severe damage that is responsible for these behaviors.

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 08:15:20 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Here's an article from today's Boston Globe describing this exact problem:

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/2012/12/03/boston-researchers-find-new-evidence-linking-repeat-concussions-permanent-brain-injury/qvJNGvLChiDRQOC0xkIKUJ/story.html

"The new study described four stages of the disease, noting that symptoms can progress for years after head trauma. It starts with headaches and problems with concentration in the early stages, followed by depression, aggression, explosive anger and short-term memory loss. Then comes more serious cognitive impairment, and eventually full-blown dementia where a person doesn’t recognize loved ones."

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 08:33:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

The Chiefs owner gets it.  Some of the players wanted to wear Belcher's number on their jerseys and the owner refused because he had killed his girlfriend before killing himself. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 08:36:18 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

The Chiefs owner gets it.  Some of the players wanted to wear Belcher's number on their jerseys and the owner refused because he had killed his girlfriend before killing himself.

On WEEI this morning they said he shot his girlfriend 9 times.  Is that true?  Gerry Callahan is prone to hyperbole
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 10:22:47 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Who won the Sunday night game last night?  I wanted to watch until I heard Bob Costas make a blithering fool of himself.  I turned the channel. 

It ain't the gun's fault, Costas...You idiot.

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Who won the Sunday night game last night?  I wanted to watch until I heard Bob Costas make a blithering fool of himself.  I turned the channel. 

It ain't the gun's fault, Costas...You idiot.
Costas was apparently quoting Whitlock's article.

This however is a pretty spot on commentary.

http://voices.yahoo.com/javon-belchers-actions-bring-attention-gun-control-11918216.html
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip