Author Topic: Is Jeff Green Boston's Real X-Factor Or "Trash"?  (Read 6051 times)

Re: Is Jeff Green Boston's Real X-Factor Or "Trash"?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 07:35:44 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Green is definitely one of our best and most versatile scorers.  And it's not really that close.

He has the quickness/explosiveness, shooting touch, and some nice footwork.  If Pierce still had any quickness or explosiveness at all, then the nod goes to PP, but Green is a more potent offensive weapon right now.

I'm not sure beyond Pierce who would even be in the conversation.

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Anyone find it funny that in the past five games we've seen Jeff Green's three best games of the season and his two worst as well?

Anyway, Green's showing confidence and more cohesion with the squad. What I'm wondering is that if this is just the beginning of something great or just a tease? Green had stretches of great play in 2011 too and I distinctly remember Thunder fans telling me that Green's fatal flaw is consistency.

If Green does continue to play like this the Celtics are in good hands for this year and beyond. Unfortunately that puts a lot of pressure on the guy who folded in pressure times with the C's last year.

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
He certainly could be the x factor. If he can continue to play at the level he has the last two games, he'd be the sixth man of the year.

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 01:51:50 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Has anyone noticed that Jeff Green has been quietly clutch from 3 this this season? The late 3 from the Bucks game is like the third 3 I've seen him hit in late game situations. Doesn't excuse his poor play overall but still..

"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Green is definitely one of our best and most versatile scorers.  And it's not really that close.

He has the quickness/explosiveness, shooting touch, and some nice footwork.  If Pierce still had any quickness or explosiveness at all, then the nod goes to PP, but Green is a more potent offensive weapon right now.

He's certainly more explosive than Pierce is now, but he's not more effective.

Pierce still has a higher TS% this year (Shooting 41% as he's struggled from 2 point and at the rim) than Jeff Green has ever had in his career. Higher assist rate and free throw rate as well.

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 02:41:31 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

He's certainly more explosive than Pierce is now, but he's not more effective.

Pierce still has a higher TS% this year (Shooting 41% as he's struggled from 2 point and at the rim) than Jeff Green has ever had in his career. Higher assist rate and free throw rate as well.

Stats geek. ;)

Green surely has a ways to go, but I'm pretty impressed with his skills (apparently that's a minority opinion), and given his skills, I'm impressed with his contract, too.

No question he needs work, but when he stops trying to fit in and starts trying to score the g-d ball, he seems to be incredibly effective and versatile.  Better than Pierce, IMO, whose slowness is a factor.  Pierce has generally been pretty easy to stop with a double team, too (terrible at passing out of them).

In any case, if Green keeps learning from Pierce how to get his shot off in that midrange game, he'll be a force.  From what I've seen (mainly in the OKC game), he has the tools to take over games when the reigns come off.

The %ages, I'm not worred about.

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd rather see Green shoot more threes and attack the rim more rather than work on his midrange game.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I just don't see it, for every moment Jeff Green looks good he's dribbled right into help or bounced the ball off his foot. He's turning the ball over at a greater rate than Pierce when he's had it even.

Tools aren't performance, his tools are good but I have yet to see anything from him that indicates he'll be suprassing Pierce anytime this year.

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'd rather see Green shoot more threes and attack the rim more rather than work on his midrange game.
I'd like him to look for more opportunities to take 3s. (he hesistates to often to shoot of the catch)

As for attacking the rim, Green needs to grasp when he should take a step back jumper better. He's dribbled into a lot of turnovers when if he just stopped he'd have an open jumper. Once he does that the lane to the rim only will get easier.

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I'd like him to look for more opportunities to take 3s. (he hesistates to often to shoot of the catch)

As for attacking the rim, Green needs to grasp when he should take a step back jumper better. He's dribbled into a lot of turnovers when if he just stopped he'd have an open jumper. Once he does that the lane to the rim only will get easier.

He needs to learn how to go left.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2012, 03:16:04 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I just don't see it, for every moment Jeff Green looks good he's dribbled right into help or bounced the ball off his foot. He's turning the ball over at a greater rate than Pierce when he's had it even.

Actually, Pierce is turning it over at a greater rate than Jeff. Both are turning the ball over more than they should, but Pierce has so far been worse this season.

Pierce has 42 turnovers across 17 games (about 2.47 per game), and Jeff has 26 turnovers across 17 games (1.53 per game). Obviously, they play different minutes ...\

Pierce has 42 turnovers across 573 minutes. That's approximately one turnover every 13.6 minutes of playing time. Jeff has 26 turnovers across 368 minutes, which is approximately one turnover every 14.2 minutes.

Not that Jeff doesn't need to drastically improve in terms of taking care of the ball, but there's no point in making inaccurate claims.

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Actually, Pierce is turning it over at a greater rate than Jeff. Both are turning the ball over more than they should, but Pierce has so far been worse this season.

Pierce has 42 turnovers across 17 games (about 2.47 per game), and Jeff has 26 turnovers across 17 games (1.53 per game). Obviously, they play different minutes ...\

Pierce has 42 turnovers across 573 minutes. That's approximately one turnover every 13.6 minutes of playing time. Jeff has 26 turnovers across 368 minutes, which is approximately one turnover every 14.2 minutes.

Not that Jeff doesn't need to drastically improve in terms of taking care of the ball, but there's no point in making inaccurate claims.
Specifically I was refering to TOV%

TOV%
Turnover Percentage (available since the 1977-78 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * TOV / (FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV). Turnover percentage is an estimate of turnovers per 100 plays.

Pierce not only plays a lot more minutes than Jeff Green but he also handles the ball a lot more than Jeff Green.

He takes more shots per minute, draws more free throws per minute, and he gets more assists per minute. (assists don't factor into TOV%, but usually players with high assists have more turnovers as a result of bad passes. Green gets so many fewer than Pierce I don't think that's a factor we need to work into our thought for these two)

Now while its not impossible to get turnovers off the ball I don't think those compose many of Pierce/Green's turnovers. When Jeff Green's taken shots or tried to get assists he's turned the ball over even more than Paul.