Author Topic: Team A, Team B, Team C  (Read 359 times)

Team A, Team B, Team C
« on: December 01, 2012, 08:34:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Here are the rankings in a number of statistical categories for three different NBA teams.

Team A
- #17 in Offensive Efficiency
- #4 in Defensive Efficiency
- #7 in Effective Field Goal % (tied)
- #22 in Defensive Rebound Rate
- #4 in Assist Rate
- #13 in Pace
- #9 in Point Differential (2.7)
- #3 in Opponent Field Goal %
- #1 in Opponent Turnovers

Team B
- #16 in Offensive Efficiency
- #13 in Defensive Efficiency
- #1 in Defensive Rebound Rate
- #17 in Assist Rate
- #5 in Pace
- #13 in Effective Field Goal %
- #18 in Point Differential (-0.7)
- #7 in Opponent Field Goal %
- #25 in Opponent Turnovers

Team C
- # 12 in Offensive Efficiency
- #16 in Defensive Efficiency
- #7 in Effective Field Goal % (tied)
- #6 in Defensive Rebound Rate
- #14 in Pace
- #2 in Assist Rate
-  #15 in Point Differential (-0.3)
- #25 in Opponent Field Goal %
- #9 in Opponent Turnovers (tied)

Pretty hard to figure out which team is which, right?  The first team isn't so great offensively, though shoots the ball efficiently, and is pretty darn good defensively.  They're also not great at rebounding, but they pass the ball well.

The other two teams are pretty average offensively and defensively, though much better at rebounding. 

You know what's most noticeable about all three teams, though?  Nothing really makes them stand out.  They are, overall, above average but not superlative teams.  It's hard to say that any of these teams really seems all that much better than the other, based on the categories listed.

You know which team is which?

Team A:  Atlanta Hawks
Team B: Golden State Warriors
Team C: Boston Celtics

I just thought this was interesting, because it gives you an idea of a) the lack of identity that the Celtics have had so far this season and b) the sort of competitors that the Celtics compare to. 

The Celtics have struggled in the past, but even when they've struggled, they've usually stood out . . . in some way.  So far, though, the team seems to be searching for the thing that makes them who they are.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain