Author Topic: Doc and KG were calling out certain guys after Brooklyn  (Read 6508 times)

Re: Doc and KG were calling out certain guys after Brooklyn
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 04:57:43 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Doc needs to call out himself as well then. Always easier to point fingers than to look in the mirror.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:36:47 PM by GrandTheftRondo »

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Doc just has him doing the decoy thing

Why?  He's probably the 2nd or 3rd best scorer on the team.  Why use him as a "decoy"?  Why run him off multiple screens just like Ray, when he's really a different sort of player?

Mike

Haha, that's the same thing I ask in most threads... it's stupid to me but I'm not the coach. I hate seeing Jet shot once ever 3 quarters. He should be averaging more shots but he never looks to shoot and I know it's by design b/c Doc runs him through 600 screens like Ray but unlike Ray is seems Terry is just doing what Doc asks and not complaining about shot attempts. Weird enough this strategy seems work b/c our offense is spot on but our defense is terrible! I would love for PP to say to himself, I'm going to stop putting up some these dumb shots and give it to JET when he is wide open (I love PP but it seems like he has been taking a lot of bad shots and forcing things too much this season EVEN when he is having a bad game shooting).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Definitely Courtney Lee.  Probably Jeff Green.  Without question Sullinger.  I love Sully's game, but he has to understand he is in their to rebound and be nasty in the post. 

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Bass could use a little nasty. When your making me yearn for Baby just for the pure physicality he brings there's a BIG problem..

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Definitely Courtney Lee.  Probably Jeff Green.  Without question Sullinger.  I love Sully's game, but he has to understand he is in their to rebound and be nasty in the post.

I think part of Sully was not wanting to be called for fouls. The refs blow a whistle on him for breathing on someone.

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 05:35:56 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'm sure Terry wasn't one of the guys called out.

The guy was jacked to come here and what it meant to be a Celtic. Cripes, he got a tat to show his commitment.

He came in way before camp and spent hours with Dionte Christmas especially, and anyone else who was around and was shooting and drilling regularly.

In addition, he should be coming off the bench. That's the role that he excels at. When he starts, there are too many scorers on the floor with him, so Jet gets far fewer touches. Doc is definitely misusing him.

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 05:42:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
In case you haven't noticed, Terry's production is down quite a bit from what he was doing in Dallas and his defense, particularly his rotations, isn't exactly setting the world on fire.
And have you noticed that his minutes are down as well? His production per minute is closer than you might think, and his scoring efficiency is considerably higher.

He's basically scoring slightly less per 36 minutes and shooting much much more effectively in the process. If you expected him to set the world on fire, you came to the party with overblown expectation.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 06:12:59 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Jason Terry is actually playing better than he did last season in Dallas. People are letting their eyes lie to them.

Look at his numbers. Turnovers way down, and although scoring numbers are slightly down his efficiency is better (his TS% last season was 54 ... this season it is almost 64!!).

Terry is not the problem. You could argue that Doc needs to give him more minutes, but Terry is playing well.

Sullinger is also playing well. His defense isn't great, but he isn't the sieve that some people here seem to think he is (in fact, he is actually blocking shots at a decent clip for the amount of minutes he is playing ... his only big problem is over fouling). Still, his rebound percentage is exactly what you want out of a rookie big man, and his shooting percentages are above average. I actually want him to get more playing time, in all honesty.

Wilcox, too, has been great for us. His rebounding has been sub-par, even for him, unfortunately, but his scoring has been much appreciated. His alley-oop receptions skew the data a bit, obviously, but his TS is an astounding 78%, and his PPS is an even 2.0. He also has solid defense, and draws fouls at a good rate.

Pierce is also playing well, despite his shooting slump. He has actually been playing pretty good defense (in fact, the stats say better than last season). His rebounding has been great, as well. He just needs to get his shot more consistent.

Courtney Lee has been a big let-down so far, sure, at least on offense. His defense has been solid, though.

Bass has been sub-par, as well, though only insofar that he has been inconsistent. He has had a few beastly games that show what he can do. But he has definitely been up and down so far.

Honestly, KG has been a disappointment too. I hate to say this, because he is my favorite all-time player, but he has been really off. His defense is virtually non-existent (okay, that's an exaggeration, he still plays pretty good defense compared to the league average, but it isn't nearly as good as you should expect from him). He has been good on offense, but his passing and rebounding are both down.

Jeff Green has, unfortunately, been our worst player. I hope to see him improve, and expect he will, but he has been downright terrible so far.

My expectation is that KG and Pierce will improve as the season goes on. Both are still producing [dang]ed well for players their age, and just need to get their defense and shooting, respectively, back to form. We can pretty much assume they will, as those have traditionally been their greatest strengths. Bass and Lee, too, are have historically played a lot better, even on relatively limited minutes, so they should improve a bit as their roles and minutes become more consistent. Jeff Green is the X factor, and whether Barbosa will be able to keep up his hot shooting.

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 06:19:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The problem starts with Doc and the way he's using his players, until he figures that out, we're going to struggle big time regardless of how our players play and their effort.

Everything that worked in pre-season, he threw to the trash can because we struggled early on, and a big reason we struggled was because of him in the first place. I don't know what brain fart he had playing Terry as a starter instead of Lee, and that's been hurting us badly. Rondo and Terry together have rarely looked good, it completely under-utilizes Terry, and exposes us defensively needlessly.

So KG and Doc can talk all the crap they want about putting a Celtics uniform, but it's time to Doc to wake up.

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 06:20:03 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Yeah, we have a guy in terry that can actually create his own shot and is very good at doing so. Lets use him like we used ray allen - Doc

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I really can't wait for Bradley to come back, it'll force Doc to make wiser player rotations. Unless he insists on starting Terry regardless.

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »

Offline Swoopz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
I'd say it's mostly directed towards Green. Bass has played hard, if not very well, same with Lee. Terry's hit some big shots and has been playing pretty well. Other than a couple of games Green has just looked disinterested and lost out there.

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 06:34:01 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I really can't wait for Bradley to come back, it'll force Doc to make wiser player rotations. Unless he insists on starting Terry regardless.

I'm grabbing my pitchfork if he does that

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Firstly anyone who mentiones KG in this thread with a negative note - shame on you. He has been the hardest working and hardest playing guy on this team. 

He isn't plaing defense? Have you SEEN what happens to our defense when he sits?  He may be more important to his team defensively than any other player in the league.

He's not rebounding?  He's averaging 7.5 rebounds in only 29 minutes.  That translates to 9.3 rebounds per 36 minutes.  His career average (in 36 minutes) is 10.6 - he is rebounding within 85% of his career rate, and that's over an hall of fame career where he's led the league in rebounding multiple years.

Think he's not scoring as well?  He's averaging 19.7 points per 36 minutes, and his career average is 19.3 per 36.  He's actually scoring at a higher rate this season than he has on average over his all-star career.

Efficiency?  He's shooting 52% from the field and 80% from the free throw line, both are ~10% better than his career averages.

The only numbers that are worse than his career averages on a per minutes basis are his steals (-0.4), steals (-0.6) and his assists (-2.0).

As for the 'soft' title I think it's a clear finger pointed at Lee and Green, possibly a somewhat at Bass as well.

Rondo, Pierce and KG on a per minute basis are playing All-Star calibre basketball and doing it on a nightly basis.

Terry (shooting), Sullinger (rebounding), Wilcox (energy) and Barbosa (ball handler and penetration) are playing their roles more or less to perfection.   

Bass is generally playing hard, but he's bee really inconsistent.  His one elite talent (his midrange shot) has not been at the same elite level it was at last season.  He's been a better defender are rebounder at times, but it's been up down.  He's been good when he attacks the rim, but he's not done it often.  When he puts the ball on the floor he looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Green has earned his contract once every 6 games.  Then the next 5 games he plays like a vet minimum bench warmer.  Every player has the occasional game where you just didn't come to play - Green has only the occasional game where he DID.

Lee has yet to have a single exceptional game.  He played one very good game out of about 14.  That's digusting for a guy who's earning 6M a year.  He is making Marquis Daniels look like an All-Star.  Hell even Daniels' defense was better.  The only thing Lee has had consistency is speed and athleticism, but it's useless if you don't use it. 

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 08:35:57 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
I can't find the quotes but both Doc and KG were saying things along the lines of "some guys know what it means to put this jersey on and some guys think they can just put it on and be great."

They're definetly singling out some new guys..green? Lee? Wilcox? Bass? Anybody besides our big three? Lol

Wouldn't surprise me if it's Terry.

Mike

Seriously?  If anything Terry has EXCEEDED expectations this year.  He is shooting career bests, has been exceptional in every role Doc has pegged him in, point guard, shooter with Rondo, scorer off the bench, playmaker.  He's done it all on offense.  On defense he has been astonishingly active.  I wouldn't say great or anything, he got abused by Joe Johnson pretty badly, but he has been working his freaking butt off.  And I was one of those pretty unexcited by him as a free agent  because of his defensive limits.

He's probably referring to Lee and Green who haven't performed like they are capable of.  He might be referring to Bass as there have been whispers of his discontent.