Author Topic: Lineup change?  (Read 1902 times)

Lineup change?
« on: November 30, 2012, 02:12:13 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
What about this:

KG
Bass
Green
Pierce
Rondo

I think someone else posted something along these lines as well and I think it makes a lot of sense.

1. Gives us more size at the three and the two. If we're not going to get size from the 4/5, we need to get it elsewhere.

2. Neither Lee nor Terry are lighting it up as starters.

3. Maybe it gets Green going.

I'd really love to see Doc experiment a little, especially given what we are seeing. Mix it up, what is there to lose by doing so? if it doesn't work, go back to the other thing that "isn't working" if you want...

Thoughts?

Re: Lineup change?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I can't see Pierce (or Green, for that matter) functioning as a 2 except against SGs who are G-F swingmen playing a bit out of position because they are better suited as SFs.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 02:23:59 PM »

Offline Stizz44

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
I agree with this!

Give Green one last final shot and if this doesnt workout, ship his ass out of town. :-X

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 02:28:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I want Courtney Lee in there for his quickness defensively.

I like Jeff Green off the bench and want him to continue in that role. I like the lineup versatility / options he gives you off the bench. The ability to go kind for kind with Pierce at SF, go small and quick with Green at PF, or, go big on the wings with Pierce and Green together. I think Green can be a real matchup problem off the bench. Allow Doc to really throw things out there that cause problems for opposing coaches on a regular basis.

I also like keeping Green on the bench because I want Bradley to continue as the starting SG once he returns ... so Green needs to find his comfort area coming off that bench because it is going to be his long term role until Pierce can't cut it anymore (which is a fair ways off yet).

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:52:50 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Neither Pierce nor Green can play extended minutes at the 2. If they do, we're dead.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:03:48 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Neither Pierce nor Green can play extended minutes at the 2. If they do, we're dead.

i agree with your basic point, but it is beginning to look as if the celtics may already be approaching a near-death experience. hopefully they can pull it all together and everyone learns to play as a team....very soon.

however, the idea of at least starting green and pierce together as sf and sg respectively might work against some teams. trying it at least once might not be a bad idea just to see if it stokes a fire in green.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:07:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Size for the sake of size is a mistake.  I don't think Pierce is an upgrade on perimeter defense.  If I wanted to start Pierce and Green together, I'd rather make Pierce the Nellyball 4 and start Green as the SF.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:08:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

i agree with your basic point, but it is beginning to look as if the celtics may already be approaching a near-death experience. hopefully they can pull it all together and everyone learns to play as a team....very soon.

however, the idea of at least starting green and pierce together as sf and sg respectively might work against some teams. trying it at least once might not be a bad idea just to see if it stokes a fire in green.
What will strike fire in Green is giving him the ball and letting him go to work. That's what they did in preseason.

In any case, scoring points is not the problem. The inability to stop the opposition from doing so is.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 03:12:47 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3

What will strike fire in Green is giving him the ball and letting him go to work. That's what they did in preseason.

In any case, scoring points is not the problem. The inability to stop the opposition from doing so is.

Agreed. Jeff is a top 20 player in the league that hasnt been given the chance. its not his fault doc rivers hates him and wont give him minutes.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 03:22:06 PM »

Offline Big Rondo

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 37
Doesn't matter. Once Bradley comes back, he's going in the starting lineup. This lineup might be nice as a 3rd or 4th specialty unit but that's about the sum of it.
Offense sells tickets, Defense wins games, Rebounds win championships.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
well since green and pierce are hobbled maybe insert joseph into starting lineup?
just kidding

if both were healthy i'd like doc to try this:
rondo
lee
green
bass
kg

green is not a better player than pierce but he gives us a low post offensive player and is a good sf defender
we have no low post players, put green on the box against nearly every sf in the league and he can get his shot off (lebron, g wallace)
Lee started off slow but his defense is a BIG upgrade over terry

second unit would have paul as the anchor and offense can run through him i.e. rondo gets a break
barbosa
terry
pierce
sully
wilcox

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 03:56:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This is my favorite lineup. I dont know why we dont see this lineup more often. Especially against teams like the Nets with Johnson and Wallace playing the two and three. I think that lineup can be highly successful in many ways. I would also like to see

Rondo
Pierce
Green
KG
Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 03:58:04 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I don't think Pierce or Green can play the two at a consistant basis.

I'd like to see Sully back in the lineup even through the rookie ups and downs, and obviously Bradley at the 2 when he gets back.

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 04:00:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't think Pierce or Green can play the two at a consistant basis.
Nope, and they have to figure a way to integrate Lee back with the starters. Masquerading Terry as a full-time starting SG is just not going to work in the long run.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 04:05:45 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Should be Sullinger and Lee starting for rebounding purposes.  Bring the firepower off the bench (Terry, Barbosa, Green, Bass, Wilcox).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale