Author Topic: Fab Melo anyone?  (Read 12792 times)

Re: Fab Melo anyone?
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't mind him being in the D-league for a while, at all. But I also think it wouldn't hurt to throw him into the fire a little with some spot minutes here and there and the NBA either.

Are you ok with those minutes coming at the expense of Sullinger?  Because that is whose playing time will probably decrease if you try to find minutes for Melo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2012, 06:39:06 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
That's a good questions LooseCannon and my answer would be no because I like what Sully's doing.

I think he might become a real integral part of the team by year's end; scoring, rebounding and defending at a higher rate than most of us may anticipate right now - that kid is learning "very" quickly. If he learns how to throw his weight around in the lane without getting called for it, which I noticed him do very well several times over the last few games, his game will go to another level for us.

All that being said - if I could find Melo 8-10 minutes a game over a 2-3 game stretch that were taken away from a combination of Bass, Wilcox and Sully - I'd do it in a heartbeat. If we were winning doing this, I would continue it indefinitely.

We desperately need some size and if melo proves he can run the floor hard, work well with KG, throw his weight around and grab a few boards without destroying our defense.

But I really believe in two things:

1. Throw guys into the fire and let them get their noses smacked - good for them, they can gauge where they're and how much they have to learn - good motivation.

2. Give them a taste of what they want - to be in the big leagues, traveling with the big team in the big show. Tease them with a little taste of it, send 'em back to the D-League if needed. But that also should give them motivation to work as hard as possible to get back to the show. I would think young guys could drift sometimes in the D-league, feel forgotten, get down, etc.

I agree with others that them calling up Melo is most likely just for practice. But I would give both him and Joseph some run in a regular game, get 'em juiced. You can always so easily simply yank them, say good job, go back to the D-league and keep working, you'll be coming again soon.     

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2012, 06:42:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Will Doc trust him enough to see the floor?  Is this just something pretrade?   Answers next week, same time and same channel....

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2012, 06:46:21 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
I disagree with the concept that giving guys like Melo or Joseph 5-8 minutes in any given game, is going to determine the outcome of that game.

You hide them with the right lineups.

Melo
KG
Pierce
Lee or Jet
Rondo

KG
Bass
Pierce
Joseph
Rondo

They have a better chance to succeed because of the focus on the all stars on the floor and the all stars can help cover "some" of their inevitable mistakes.

I'd particularly try to get Melo some regular minutes if he shows he can be half decent - because 10-12 minutes a game of high energy from him by season's end could be very helpful for us. 

« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2012, 06:49:45 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
True, could be a pretrade thing, who knows. I'd actually be suprised if he isn't back in Maine come Thursday night, Friday morning.

I just like the idea of trying new things with the players you have. Maybe he's improved and will play well along side KG in practice and that's it - they get a read on him...

« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I disagree with the concept that giving guys like Melo or Joseph 5-8 minutes in any given game, is going to determine the outcome of that game.

Good luck convincing Doc of that I am sure he values your opinion, NOT!

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2012, 08:40:46 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
I don't mind him being in the D-league for a while, at all. But I also think it wouldn't hurt to throw him into the fire a little with some spot minutes here and there and the NBA either.

I don't see why we can do both. 90% D-League, 10% where their are some opportunities to bring him up for a game and let him run with KG for 5 minutes.
Ya..that is what i mean.....thanks...tp.

« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......

You hide them with the right lineups.

Melo
KG
Pierce
Lee or Jet
Rondo

KG
Bass
Pierce
Joseph
Rondo

They have a better chance to succeed because of the focus on the all stars on the floor and the all stars can help cover "some" of their inevitable mistakes.

I'd particularly try to get Melo some regular minutes if he shows he can be half decent - because 10-12 minutes a game of high energy from him by season's end could be very helpful for us.
I just saw this..if it is for me, I never meant that melo will change a game this early....i mean he will develop, and it is his best chance at making it..! To play with kg et al...! Learn from the best..!

« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2012, 08:45:40 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......

Are you ok with those minutes coming at the expense of Sullinger?  Because that is whose playing time will probably decrease if you try to find minutes for Melo.
Can't teach height....melo is still 7'...try lineups that work well for the guy, you drafted him, you use/develop him....or fire your main draft selection guy...!

« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2012, 08:46:14 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
You nBET Popovich would play him....!

« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
You sure about that?

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/San_Antonio_Spurs/26/DLeague_Transactions

they seem to sign their bigs from elsewhere and play their wings in the DL.  Long stints in the DL are common.  They use Overseas guys a lot something Danny does not do that much.

I do think Pop would intregrate youth better than we do.  At least Doc is playing Sully some.

« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2012, 11:05:49 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I don't see why we can do both. 90% D-League, 10% where their are some opportunities to bring him up for a game and let him run with KG for 5 minutes.

ask and ye shall receive....

http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/12/10/3751164/celtics-recall-fab-melo-from-maine

:D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2012, 11:38:53 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Celtics4ever: True re Doc and convincing him...  :)

Yeah Meadowlark: I just don't see why not give the kid a little run, 90/10 D-League / NBA time.
For example, maybe you have a stretch of 3-4 home games where some of the teams are marginal - great opportunity to give Melo some run against less than the highest grade NBA talent at his position. Bring him up and give him some run.

I think that will keep any ultra competitive guy hungry - it's great motivation. Then you just see how it's working out.

Hwangjini: Thought that was funny as well re this topic and then seeing they called him up. Good connect.

I very much expect he will be back in Maine Thursday night - but I like him begin called up for any reasons to hang with the big boys and get his nose bloodied a little, even if it's in practice. Good stuff for him.   

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2012, 11:52:19 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
You nBET Popovich would play him....!

Popovich would cut him.