Author Topic: Fab Melo anyone?  (Read 12850 times)

Re: Fab Melo anyone?
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Yes, we need a shot blocker in the worst way. How much damage can Fab Melo do to a .500 team? Call him up. I'm ready for Fab at center. At very least he will block couple of shots, and alter a lot more.

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2012, 11:09:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Yes, we need a shot blocker in the worst way. How much damage can Fab Melo do to a .500 team? Call him up. I'm ready for Fab at center. At very least he will block couple of shots, and alter a lot more.

When KG is out , teams just shred the Celtics to pieces , there is no BIG man to control the paint and enforce and block the layups by the slashing guards.

Fab could be this guy one day.... he has the tools ... ROme wasn't built in day .... Maybe by playoffs  ???  a bit player on Howard or such.  Somebody that can get in the face of the other teams 7 footers whe KG is sitting.

I still think DA might pull a trade for another BIG , who is more active than Collins.

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2012, 12:05:30 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Celtics might be more likely to find a useful piece by gambling on a Brian Butch or Ben Strong type player than trying to make a trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2012, 06:14:48 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Agreed re Ezeli, think he would have fit well next to KG this year.

That being said, I would have no problem at all giving Melo 5-8 minutes a night on our team. Are we afraid he's going to soil our current championship pedigree? I'll take my chances with giving him a go and most likely along side KG so KG can bark in his ear.

If he stinks up the joint, we can all commit hari kari......or, we could simply pull him say "good job, we wanted to get you some run up here every now and then" and send him back to the D-league."  Bring him back and forth a little, dangle the carrot for him, give him some extra motivation.

I know it may sound absolutely nuts to do something as crazy as that. But I wouldn't mind seeing a young seven footer with some energy out there.

Can you imagine if, god forbid, he actually played as good as Collins, grabbed a board or two, blocked a shot and ran the floor hard as a seven footer and hopefully, just hopefully...leveled a couple guys coming down the lane?

I would "hate" that.   

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2012, 08:36:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When KG is out , teams just shred the Celtics to pieces , there is no BIG man to control the paint and enforce and block the layups by the slashing guards.

Fab Melo isn't that, guy right now.

MPG 23.4    
FG% 0.471    
FT% 0.667
OFF REB   2.4    
DEF RB  3.4    
RPG 5.8    
APG  0.4    
SPG  0.6
BPG  2.2    
TO  0.40    
PF 3.40    
PPG 6.8

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/fab_melo/index.html?nav=page

Keep in mind this isn't against NBA ballers but Dev League guys too.  Melo is a project, anyone who thinks he isn't is a Syracuse Homer type.

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
The ONE thing some non players don't seem to understand is as a player, you play to the level of the players around you...eventually, if not right away...so, the D leugue will only do him good for so long....the NBA is the only way to turn the corner.....but..he has to PLAY, you don't get better from the bench...!

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The ONE thing some non players don't seem to understand is as a player, you play to the level of the players around you...eventually, if not right away...so, the D leugue will only do him good for so long....the NBA is the only way to turn the corner.....but..he has to PLAY, you don't get better from the bench...!

I don't know.  I think the D-League is really good for some players and Melo is likely one of those players.  He is not going to see the floor in the NBA and he can't go back to college.  He needs work on his fundamental skills and also developing game instincts.  I feel the D-League is a good place for that.

When he starts to dominate D-League, bring him up.  Until then, he needs to slog along in D-League.  Plus he may get some time to run with Avery Bradley and that can't hurt is development either.

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2012, 10:27:08 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
i said it before the draft, I hope Celtics dont draft Melo. Well they did. This guy will never be in the NBA. He better go get his money overseas
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2012, 10:41:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
i said it before the draft, I hope Celtics dont draft Melo. Well they did. This guy will never be in the NBA. He better go get his money overseas

Fortunately they didn't listen to your opinion. ;D

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2012, 10:50:48 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

I don't know.  I think the D-League is really good for some players and Melo is likely one of those players.  He is not going to see the floor in the NBA and he can't go back to college.  He needs work on his fundamental skills and also developing game instincts.  I feel the D-League is a good place for that.

When he starts to dominate D-League, bring him up.  Until then, he needs to slog along in D-League.  Plus he may get some time to run with Avery Bradley and that can't hurt is development either.

I disagree,

The level of physical talent and skill-level is too low amongst big men in the D-League.

The only thing Fab Melo is doing there is learning a lot of bad habits that he is able to get away with against sub-par competition ... that won't hold up when faced against NBA level athletes / skilled big men.

The D-League is a very bad place for someone like Fab Melo.

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

He is a D-League player right now.  That's where he's playing.  I don't see the problem.  Hopefully, he'll turn into a big leaguer soon.  At that time, he can be brought up and given minutes.

It likely won't be this year, though, especially if our roster stays healthy.  There won't be minutes for him, and like you say, you don't get better from the bench. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2012, 10:58:06 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Fortunately they didn't listen to your opinion. ;D
I would say unfortunately.  Seeing him in summer league and knowing he's only been playing basketball for a few years, I would not doubt that doesn't make it in this league.  I would say his upside at this point is serviceable journeyman 7-footer.  Hopefully Ainge can develop him some and then flip him as a chip in a trade.

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2012, 11:15:06 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I disagree,

The level of physical talent and skill-level is too low amongst big men in the D-League.

The only thing Fab Melo is doing there is learning a lot of bad habits that he is able to get away with against sub-par competition ... that won't hold up when faced against NBA level athletes / skilled big men.

The D-League is a very bad place for someone like Fab Melo.

The truth is that Keith Benson, Will Foster, Robert Sacre, and Miles Plumlee are probably all better players than him right now.  Those are the centers that he's gone up against (and been outplayed by) so far in his D-League career.  Let's wait until he starts dominating those guys. 

I think Maine's going to do him a world of good.  No need to rush him to the big league before he's ready. 

Heck, I think I might take a drive up to Portland soon to see him and the Claws play. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2012, 12:32:25 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I don't mind him being in the D-league for a while, at all. But I also think it wouldn't hurt to throw him into the fire a little with some spot minutes here and there and the NBA either.

I don't see why we can do both. 90% D-League, 10% where their are some opportunities to bring him up for a game and let him run with KG for 5 minutes.

« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
agreed 100%

this also goes for people who critisized austin rivers for leaving duke.