Author Topic: Fab Melo anyone?  (Read 12793 times)

Re: Fab Melo anyone?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Nice cut of steak, but needs more seasoning.

That's what I think of when I hear Fab Melo.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 07:11:21 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would be willing to give him an extended opportunity.

I expect him to fail badly but you never know ... Stiemsma figured things out after looking like a disaster for the first couple of months. Maybe Fab Melo can do the same.

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 08:29:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He isn't ready, don't quit your day job and think you can be a scout.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/fab_melo/index.html?nav=page

19 MPG
2.5 RPG
2.5 BPG
8  PPG
.66 FG%

This is against NBADL talent.   2.5 RPG is abyssmal for a guy with his mobility and footwork.   He has really band hands but has nice defensive anticipation.

These are the guys who are out rebounding him.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?league=20&season=22012&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams

I cringed when we drafted him, I hope I am wrong.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 09:17:32 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
He isn't ready, don't quit your day job and think you can be a scout.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/fab_melo/index.html?nav=page

19 MPG
2.5 RPG
2.5 BPG
8  PPG
.66 FG%

This is against NBADL talent.   2.5 RPG is abyssmal for a guy with his mobility and footwork.   He has really band hands but has nice defensive anticipation.

These are the guys who are out rebounding him.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?league=20&season=22012&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams

I cringed when we drafted him, I hope I am wrong.

He grabbed 11 rebounds yesterday. He doesn't have bad hands, he is just learning about positioning for the rebound because he has only played the middle of a  zone defense where his main job was to alter shots from guards driving to the hoop.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
I see a good chance of him not playing a single game with the Celtics.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
He grabbed 11 rebounds yesterday. He doesn't have bad hands, he is just learning about positioning for the rebound because he has only played the middle of a  zone defense where his main job was to alter shots from guards driving to the hoop.

Euro NBAfan with all respect how much have you seen of his game?   He has horrible hands, he did in Summer League and he did in Syracuse.   

Reading a box score is great but here is some film for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBk-t40Db6Y

Notice how a lot of them bounce off his hands.  He does get the easy ones but is lousy in traffic.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 10:04:11 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Euro NBAfan with all respect how much have you seen of his game?   He has horrible hands, he did in Summer League and he did in Syracuse.   

Reading a box score is great but here is some film for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBk-t40Db6Y

Notice how a lot of them bounce off his hands.  He does get the easy ones but is lousy in traffic.

c4, thanks for the video on melo. what i also saw in that short video was a very tall person with a fair amount of athleticism...but with no idea whatsoever on how to box out or gain a good position for rebounds.

too much of his time was spent watching the ball instead of anticipating and moving into a better position, or better yet, already being in a good position to rebound. he had to reach over the backs of opposing players a lot in that video. not a good sign i think.

in that video, melo was also pushed around quite a bit under the basket...and this was done by college players. in the nba, many pf and centers will simply push him out of position for rebounds.

melo averaged 5.8 rebounds last year in syracuse with a defensive scheme that made it more difficult for him to grab rebounds. (he averaged 2.7 OR and only 3.2 DR.) add to this the fact that he is relatively new to basketball and we can see him as a young player who has a lot to learn.

melo needs a lot, i mean a lot, of practice, a lot of personalized teaching, and in-game time to develop his skills. he also needs to be in the weight room everyday. being on the celtics bench will only provide him with practice and a weight room. being with the fabulous red claws, melo would get all of the above. i like how the celtics consider the redclaws to be a teaching team, a place to learn. melo needs that.

all in all, melo is a fine pick at the early 20s in the draft. a lottery ticket. the celtics get nothing now, but maybe, perhaps, might, could be they will have a good nba center in 2 years.

perk took 3 years to really develop and he was worth the time and wait. (averaged 3:30 and 9:05 min/g his first 2 years.)

considering what some people on this board are willing to trade to get players such as gortat, melo was worth the gamble and will be worth the wait.

if doc wants to put melo into games now, fine. its doc's call, but i think melo will stink. that other players may also currently stink doesnt change the fact that melo will stink.

collins now averages 10 minutes a game, having played in a total of 2 games. i just dont think that melo, even if given every single second of collin's floor time, would make any difference at all in the celtics win-lose record or over all play.

i believe the depressingly mediocre w-l record of the celtics is due far more to having new players on the team and lack of defensive consistency than anything else. melo wont cure these problems. he wont cure defensive problems. he wont cure rebounding problems.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I really think Melo will pan out but he is a project.   He just needs some work and experience.   

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 10:17:49 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
I'll take him any day over collins

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I get that when people mention Fab, they're probably thinking of guys like Semih Erden, Greg Stiemsma, and Ryan Hollins, who were able to give us serviceable(ish) minutes at center when we were thin at that position in the past.

What you have to keep in mind is that all three of those players had very significant experience playing professional basketball already.  Semih Erden had played professionally in Turkey long before we even drafted him.  Ryan Hollins had bounced around the league.  Greg had cut his teeth for a year or two playing abroad and in the D-league.

Fab has only played the game of basketball -- period -- for a few years.  We need to look at him like a minor league baseball player in single or double A who needs a year or two to even be ready for a call-up.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not me, not now. As much as I itching Collins I chump with few offensive skills, he I an experienced NBA center who can defend and rebound.  He did a pretty good job on Aldridge last night.

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2012, 03:44:59 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
He's not ready yet. I don't want him coming up until at least the all-star break. He is the epitome of RAW

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
He is just not ready to help us right now but that doesn't mean he is a bust.  Think how bad Avery Bradley was in his rookie year.  I see a lot of the same kind of raw athletic ability that Bradley displayed but he is probably less advanced than Bradley was his rookie year.  We are all just going to have to be patient with Fab.

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 04:07:59 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
fab melo was the reason syracuse was the #1 college team for a good portion of last season.

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
I wouldn't and its not even close.  I for one have been impressed with collins defense on bigs, especially on Lopez and Aldridge.