Author Topic: Fab Melo anyone?  (Read 12794 times)

Fab Melo anyone?
« on: November 30, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Since we're so incredibly smallish in the paint and it seems to be a real issue, should we just bring Melo back and throw him in there?

Even if it's for 5-10 minutes a night to see what he does with KG next to him. I mean seriously, could it get any worse?

At least he's a true 7 footer with real length and some decent weight to throw around.

Maybe just his presence in the lane will help a little - especially with KG next to him.

It's a long shot, but after what I've seen, I would certainly give it a shot.

Re: Fab Melo anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
No.  Right now, he is a terrible basketball player.  And size is irrelevant if you don't know how to play the game.

Let him develop, and bring him up when he is ready.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 02:17:05 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
True, he may be terrible right now, I agree. But what I've seen so far is also terrible and I don't see how it could get any worse.

I wouldn't mind throwing a lineup of:

Melo
KG
Green
Pierce
Rondo

You can pull the plug any time you want and go back to all this other garbage we've been watching so far.

I know what you're saying but I think it would be an interesting one game experiment that would carry a message as well for the other guys currently not getting it done under the boards.

I'm not sure why coaches are so reluctant to experiment briefly when what's been done for 15 games is basically a train wreck already.

I do it for a game just to jolt the team psychology.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
True, he may be terrible right now, I agree. But what I've seen so far is also terrible and I don't see how it could get any worse.

Melo
KG
Green
Pierce
Rondo

You can pull the plug any time you want and go back to all this other garbage we've been watching so far.

I know what you're saying but I think it would be an interesting one game experiment that would carry a message as well for the other guys currently not getting it done under the boards.

I'm not sure why coaches are so reluctant to experiment briefly when what's been done for 15 games is basically a train wreck already.

I really think you are underestimating just how big the difference is between Melo, and even a guy like Collins, let alone Wilcox, Sully, or Bass. 

Based on what we saw of Melo in the preseason, he is significantly further behind where Patty O'Bryant was when he was on the C's, and he was useless. 

And there is nothing about that, that would jolt the team psychologically...at least in a positive way. 

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:59:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Melo
KG
Green
Pierce
Rondo

nope, nope, nope....what you have seen so far is mediocre basketball and uneven defense sprinkled around good moments for the celtics.

melo is clueless right now and has no idea about positioning or boxing out. none. that is correct, even LESS than the other celtics. being 7' does not assure he will grab rebounds. he isnt rebounding well in nba's minor leagues. he wont rebound well in the nba.

how could it be worse than the current mediocre celtic team? simple. imagine those poorly playing celtics on the court, but now add a player who has no idea how to play doc's defense in the lineup, one who has very limited ability to score, and who doesnt know how to rebound.

not only would he be bad, but he would make his teammates worse by not sliding over on defensive shifts or knowing the offensive plays well. having teammates irked and angry is not good team psychology for anyone.

i think melo will be a good nba center in the future. but his future is not now.

as for the celtics, they have a lot of new players so i am still hopeful they will figure out how to play better as a team...but i sure hope they do it really soon.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 07:25:05 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
You know what?  Just do it, seriously.

We need size - more importantly we need athletic size - and we need defense.

If Fab plays he's going to struggle immensely on offense, and we'll probably suck with him in there on that end of the floor.  You know though?  WE SUCK ANYWAY.  We are getting absolutely slaughtered out there by teams that do not have the leve of talent we have.

If I were Doc I would some out and say "Ok guys, I don't care who has the talent.  The guys who play with heart and with energy and going to get minutes, then guys who play passive are riding the bench". 

Reward the guys who give you effort - don't reward the guys who were born with talent but can't be bothered using it.

I'm certain Fab would play hard and put in 110% effort if he got an opportunity to play.  Let the kid play.  Worst case scenario is he will suck badly for the entire season, in which we've lost nothing over what we have now.  Best case is he'll suck for 5-10 games and then we'll start seeing some real improvement, and he'll become the defensive anchor we need when KG sits.

Looking at our team RIGHT NOW what do we seriously have to lose?  He can't be THAT MUCH worse than Collins honestly.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:21:29 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
collins is a dumpster fire of a player. GOD awful.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I'd throw him in there. His floor will probably be what Collins has been doing, nothing.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 10:31:42 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122

no way in hell i want Fab Melo in a celtics uni dis season

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 11:28:37 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
During the preseason Fab was terrible on offense - he was downright hideous.

BUT he was playing very good Pick and Roll defense, he was playing EXCEPTIONAL single-coverage defense, and he was blocking shots like a boss.

On a per minute basis his rebounding and assist numbers were also pretty good.

The guy has skills and talents, he just has a major lack in confidence and needs time to adjust to the NBA game. 

To me Fab looks like his confidence is on the floor.  He cannot earn a single minute of game time - he's not even respected enough to earn a spot as a bench warmer on a team that desperately lacks frontcourt defense.  For him, imagine how much that would kill your confidence?  Will being send down to play in some D-league team help that confidence?  Will playing for a different team who runs a different system help his adjustment to the Celtics philosophies?

If he's on the Celtics bench, even if he doesn't play a minute, I think it will benefit him more.  He gets to watch his teammates play, he gets to listen in on huddles, he gets to involve himself in practices.  Maybe in the occasional blowout he can go in and play 3 or 4 minutes.  It will at least make him feel like he belongs and like the guys want him there.  I think for somebody in his position that would be a huge thing for him.

Plus like I said, how much worse than Collins can he be?  Collins does nothing but pick up fouls and allow opponents to score. 

Fab + Sully could actually be a surprisingly competent combination.  Sully has great hands, is an excellent rebounder, and has a good scoring touch inside.  Fab is long, quick and agile and an excellent defensive player.  He could offer quality help defense when Sully's man gets past him (in much the same way as KG does) and wouldn't really NEED to be involved offensively.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 11:51:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Maybe in a few months Fab could play as well as Collins anyways? ???

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 04:38:05 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
When Doc's ready to play Fab, I know I'll be ready to see him play.  I'm willing to be patient, though, and leave that decision up to the coach.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 05:16:00 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Maybe in a few months Fab could play as well as Collins anyways? ???

He's probably just as good now.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 05:28:17 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Fab Melo's stats in today's Maine game:

8 pts
11 reb
2 blks
5 PFs
1 TO

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 05:45:48 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
During the preseason Fab was terrible on offense - he was downright hideous.

BUT he was playing very good Pick and Roll defense, he was playing EXCEPTIONAL single-coverage defense, and he was blocking shots like a boss.

On a per minute basis his rebounding and assist numbers were also pretty good.

The guy has skills and talents, he just has a major lack in confidence and needs time to adjust to the NBA game. 

To me Fab looks like his confidence is on the floor.  He cannot earn a single minute of game time - he's not even respected enough to earn a spot as a bench warmer on a team that desperately lacks frontcourt defense.  For him, imagine how much that would kill your confidence?  Will being send down to play in some D-league team help that confidence?  Will playing for a different team who runs a different system help his adjustment to the Celtics philosophies?

If he's on the Celtics bench, even if he doesn't play a minute, I think it will benefit him more.  He gets to watch his teammates play, he gets to listen in on huddles, he gets to involve himself in practices.  Maybe in the occasional blowout he can go in and play 3 or 4 minutes.  It will at least make him feel like he belongs and like the guys want him there.  I think for somebody in his position that would be a huge thing for him.

I think it's quite the opposite. Since the Red Claws is our D-League affiliate, they run the same stuff as the Celtics (probably more or less) and the new coach was hired because he is supposed to be good at developing young players.
Melo was probably told from the start, that we are going to keep him in Maine for a while, so he can just work on his game, until he is ready, whenever that is. And until he starts dominating in D-League, he is not quite there yet.
Plus he actually gets to practice with the Celtics when that is possible. He was in Waltham this week together with Joseph. Melo didn't get to play, because of the abundance of big men, but I'm sure that this will change later in the season.