Author Topic: Rondo :"tired of being enforcer for c's"  (Read 15944 times)

Re: Rondo :"tired of being enforcer for c's"
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 01:24:16 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
agree with rondo... hes also one of our leading rebounders at 6'1... I mean come on haha... this is one of the reasons you need a guy like j-smoove
We want an enforcer so we should get J Smoove? Haha you guys are funny. He would only make the problem substantially worse.

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Rondo is 100% absolutely correct is his assessment.

He is, by far and without any debate, the single, toughest guy on our team. KG and Pierce are both great athletes who are athletically tough guys with great durability but they are not "tough guys", they are finesse guys - not a knock on them, just the truth.

The reason the 08 and 2010 and 2012 teams were so good is because of the right mix of finesse and tough enforcer type players.

2008:
Ray, Pierce and KG - skill and finesse
TAllen, Rondo, Perkins, Powe, Posey and PJ - all "tough guys"

2010:
Perkins, Rasheed, Rondo, TAllen, Baby, Sheldon Williams
Ray, Pierce and KG for finesse

2012:
Keyon Dooling, Pietrus, Stiemsma, Hollins, Rollins, Bradley
KG, Pierce and Ray for finesse.

It's a pretty simple formula. Skill and talent drive the team but you absolutely MUST have guys that are lunch pale, dirty work guys and that YES, are very willing to throw down any time, if and when necessary. Not that you may ever have to, but as another poster stated, when you know Perkins, Shaq, TAllen, Posey type of players are on the other side and that you will likely play a price the next time down the court, it's just in the back of your mind. It's also always in the back of your mind when you get in the paint or think about take a high flyer to the rim...

It's pretty basic 101 basketball chemistry.

So again, Rondo is the toughest guy currently on our team, by a mile.

It's about like this

1. Rondo
2. Bradley (yes, Bradley) he's a Tony Allen type
3. Jared Sullinger 0he needs to get stronger - but he has it in him, you can see it.
4. Brandon Bass, KG and Pierce are all on a similar level

It falls off "dramatically" from there. Melo might have some in him, haven't seen enough yet.

It's one of the main reasons I wanted us to draft Ezeli this year - While Melo's ceiling might be higher, I thought Ezeli woulod bring some immediate toughness into the paint along side KG - a more athletic Perkins.

I've also wanted Reggie Evans on the team pretty much ever since Powe left.

I also thought Aaron Gray was an obvious target for his size and weight and was very excited about seeing Darko with KG for the same reason.

A lot of it is just about size and weight to be able to bang and lay bodies on guys, that's why Shaq was so effective even at an older age. But there's also the edgy guys you MUST have a few of - guys like Reggie Evans, Perkins, TAllen, Bradley.

Suprisingly, Bradley will help this team tremendously in the toughness department when he comes back. His "dirty nose" approach to the game will rub off on the team.     

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 02:14:38 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Rondo sounds a bit narcissistic IMO

He needs to stop acting like he's the team's savior. Needs to realize he's lucky because if Humphries had a mean streak, he would destroy him

Says Chris Paul's biggest fan..the biggest cheap shot artist in the league.

Rondo isn't saying a thing about being a savior hes simply stating facts Mr rondo detractor

Correction, I'm Paul Pierce's biggest fan
Didn't know obvious logic that Chris Paul is better than Rondo means I'm his biggest fan

Hes certainly better than Paul pierce...but rondo? Sorry not seeing it anymore...rondo would be averaging 15 assists with that clippers roster....besides the point, at least rondo confronted a bigger man face to face sticking up for his guy rather then a cheapshot to the family jewels like the coward Chris paul

Chris Paul always fights/scuffles guys twice his size. Whats games are you watching??

Rondo is just simply an overhyped set up man. Rondo is better than Paul? The same guy who struggles t
o make two 17ft jumpshots in a game? The same guy whos team has a winning record whenever he doesn't play? The same guy who can't make a simple layup cause he's scared to go to the foul line?

Oh yeah that guy haha
"

Exactly....I knew id get the rondo detractor in you out. We have a winning record without kg as well.....overhyped?
I also love how scuffling with bigger guys makes Chris Paul a leader and rondo narcissistic and immature...who's overhyped again? 9 assists per game with that roster? Lol @ the"best point guard".... how is rondo struggling to shoot when hes shooting over 50% and taking mostly jumpers?

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
For me, Rondo is far and away the very best "point guard" in the league. He does more things at a higher level than any other point.

Play maker
Rebounds
Defends
Scores - he can score a lot more any time he feels like it
Best quarterback
Enforcer :)

Other points may score more, but I don't think any of them make their teams better like Rondo does.

Our problem isn't Rondo, is muscle and size in the paint. 

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I was confused by that whole incident.  That foul wasn't really even that hard.  Humphries didn't even get called for a flagrant.  KG landed on his backside hard, but I think it had more to do with how he fell than how hard the foul was.

At the time I was completely confused by Rondo's reaction.  I know he might have been frustrated, because we were getting spanked by the Nets, but not enough to randomly pick a fight.  It almost felt like he made a conscious decision to pick a fight with a larger player, show that he's tough and tell this soft team to get a backbone... killing his own record for the sake of setting an example for his teammates of being aggressive and "chippy".  Kinda like how a coach intentionally gets himself ejected to inject some life into his squad. 

I figured that was nonsense, though... MAJOR reach that he intentionally got himself suspended to prove a point.  MAJOR reach.  But these comments that he "is tired of being the enforcer" do add a little credibility to that concept... that he picked a fight on purpose, killed his record and got himself ejected to prove a point. 

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2012, 02:26:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
For me, Rondo is far and away the very best "point guard" in the league. He does more things at a higher level than any other point.

Play maker
Rebounds
Defends
Best quarterback

Other points may score more, but I don't think any of them make their teams better like Rondo does.

Chris Paul is better than him at most of that stuff... but Rondo is definitely a top 5 point guard and this year (so far, at least) he's actually statistically the #1 point guard.  It's early, though... time will tell if Chris Paul regains the #1 statistical spot that he consistently owns (aside from that one "MVP" year by Rose)

Edit:  My bad... with Rondo's last game, Chris Paul is already back on top statistically.  EFF of 23.3 while Rondo dropped down to 22.9.  Rondo's hot start had him at top for a while, though.

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
I was confused by that whole incident.  That foul wasn't really even that hard.  Humphries didn't even get called for a flagrant.  KG landed on his backside hard, but I think it had more to do with how he fell than how hard the foul was.

At the time I was completely confused by Rondo's reaction.  I know he might have been frustrated, because we were getting spanked by the Nets, but not enough to randomly pick a fight.  It almost felt like he made a conscious decision to pick a fight with a larger player, show that he's tough and tell this soft team to get a backbone... killing his own record for the sake of setting an example for his teammates of being aggressive and "chippy".  Kinda like how a coach intentionally gets himself ejected to inject some life into his squad. 

I figured that was nonsense, though... MAJOR reach that he intentionally got himself suspended to prove a point.  MAJOR reach.  But these comments that he "is tired of being the enforcer" do add a little credibility to that concept... that he picked a fight on purpose, killed his record and got himself ejected to prove a point. 

I agree with your theories I don't think its a major reach at all..tp

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Play maker
Rebounds
Defends
Best quarterback

Chris Paul is better than him at most of that stuff... but Rondo is definitely a top 5 point guard and this year (so far, at least) he's actually statistically the #1 point guard.  It's early, though... time will tell if Chris Paul regains the #1 statistical spot that he consistently owns (aside from that one "MVP" year by Rose)

Edit:  My bad... with Rondo's last game, Chris Paul is already back on top statistically.  EFF of 23.3 while Rondo dropped down to 22.9.  Rondo's hot start had him at top for a while, though.
So with his last game he sacrificed that crap too

Fair enough...at least your objective? We will also see who's better in the playoffs  ;)

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I do think there is something to be said for having  "tough guys" on a team.
You know who "tough guys" are? Those who rally the team, mount a comeback, and make sure the other is never comfortable until the final horn. The Celtics used to be one of the "toughest" teams in this respect for years. Not so much this season.

And since this is a team mostly made up of veterans, none of whom (not even Jeff Green) ever really had reputations of being "soft" in the past...why are they playing that way now?

Mike

Doc being a nannie , instead of a coach on fire.

Doc is not a disciplinarian. To be a great coach you have to have that element. Talent or not, your players have to follow and respect your decisions on the court

Doc reminds me alot of Eric Spoelstra. Has the skill as a coach, but has been blessed with an all star team. Has loat of talent on his team, but doesn't know to adjust in important situations. Overwhelming talent on Doc and Eric's teams hides their deficiencies as a coach

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Play maker
Rebounds
Defends
Best quarterback

Chris Paul is better than him at most of that stuff...

Better scorer, comparable defender (maybe), worse at the rest.

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Doc is not a disciplinarian. To be a great coach you have to have that element. Talent or not, your players have to follow and respect your decisions on the court
You're saying our players don't respect Doc and don't follow his decisions on the court? Please excuse me while I laugh this "argument" off.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2012, 02:43:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
We feel your pain Rondo...we see what your dealing with ...

maybe Danny will see it too and get a player and SYSTEM in place that does away with small silly ball and goes back to playing NBA professional ball.
So the Heat, Celtics, and Knicks all don't play NBA basketball?

The idea that we aren't a real NBA team because we don't have backup C worth playing is a strange one to me.

I'd say, the fact we don't have a starting PF, nor a transcendent SF (who isn't past his prime) capable of also playing PF, nor a starting C (who isn't past his prime, and only capable of playing limited minutes during the regular season) is why were are not a "real NBA team".

Trying to play small ball without the proper pieces is foolish.
So we should play some scrub guy because he's big? Because that what Jason Collins is, he's a 7 foot scrub who has one skill physical post defense.

Go look around its not like the other veteran's minimum C options are better either.

Playing bad players because you feel you need size is foolish. We're getting beat in the P&R because of our perimeter defense and other than KG our bigs aren't fast enough/long enough to compensate for that.

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2012, 02:48:05 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
You're saying our players don't respect Doc and don't follow his decisions on the court? Please excuse me while I laugh this "argument" off.

Doc is the quintessential "When things are going well" coach. He's fun to be around when things are going well and makes better decisions. And yes at that time, his players listen to him. But when things get tough and it becomes a pressure situation, he's all out of sorts and doesn't know how to lead his team to victory. Almost Identical to Spoelstra

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2012, 03:03:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Doc is the quintessential "When things are going well" coach. He's fun to be around when things are going well and makes better decisions. And yes at that time, his players listen to him. But when things get tough and it becomes a pressure situation, he's all out of sorts and doesn't know how to lead his team to victory. Almost Identical to Spoelstra
Doc didn't start working here in 2008. For that matter, the pre-2008 Doc-coached teams were fun to watch because they always played together and played hard, regardless of the fact they weren't going anywhere. So much about this theory.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Cedric Maxwell was on weei yesterday and said Rondo told him that he is getting tired of having to be the enforcer for the C's. He said Rondo told him " I'm 6'1 , why am I the one who has to play the enforcer role for this team?"

Completely agree with Rondo , Danny needs to get a real enforcer in here quick .
And who told him he has to "play the enforcer"? This is getting ridiculous.

Exactly.  Also, it looked to me like no one else had a chance to respond before Rondo did, as Rondo responded very quickly.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson