Author Topic: Rondo :"tired of being enforcer for c's"  (Read 15954 times)

Re: Rondo :"tired of being enforcer for c's"
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2012, 05:00:09 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Cedric Maxwell was on weei yesterday and said Rondo told him that he is getting tired of having to be the enforcer for the C's. He said Rondo told him " I'm 6'1 , why am I the one who has to play the enforcer role for this team?"

He won't be when ABsolute Zero comes back.

« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2012, 05:10:34 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
TP mctyson. Avery is the second toughest guy on our team after Rondo. The kid has an edge and he's physically dominant.

As for the best point guard in the league argument? For me, I'll take Rondo every day of the week and twice on Sundays, thank you very much.

I want the guy who nearly averages a triple double in a seven game playoff series. I want the guy who can't shoot but comes out and drops 44 when it matters most.

I want the guy who's driven the team to two finals appearances in five years and one game away from making it three trips in five.

Some of the stuff Rondo has accomplished in the playoffs, when it matters most, have only been accomplished by guys with names like Wilt, Oscar, Magic and Jordan.

It's just an opinion, but I think Rondo is highly underrated. The most dominant players shine brightest in the biggest moments.

« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2012, 05:16:10 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Doc is not a disciplinarian. To be a great coach you have to have that element. Talent or not, your players have to follow and respect your decisions on the court
You're saying our players don't respect Doc and don't follow his decisions on the court? Please excuse me while I laugh this "argument" off.

Doc is the quintessential "When things are going well" coach. He's fun to be around when things are going well and makes better decisions. And yes at that time, his players listen to him. But when things get tough and it becomes a pressure situation, he's all out of sorts and doesn't know how to lead his team to victory. Almost Identical to Spoelstra
Doc didn't start working here in 2008. For that matter, the pre-2008 Doc-coached teams were fun to watch because they always played together and played hard, regardless of the fact they weren't going anywhere. So much about this theory.

I bolded an important part. Since when is a losing team in a pre-2008 era that barely gets 30 wins a season a pressure situation? *Confused*
When the pressure is high, Doc doesn't lead his team to victory most of the time. That is my point

You're right, because he's never led a team playing below their level to inspiring playoff runs. Nope, never.

Yeah yup, cause that pressure is equal to coaching a team who is a championship contender  ::)

« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2012, 05:23:49 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
This may be a silly question but didn't we bring in Collins for this exact reason? He needs to take a long look in the mirror of the jersey he has on. Take it off cruise control buddy.. No discernable skills besides settng screens and post defense. The least he could do is make his six fouls count. And count HARD.

« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2012, 05:35:37 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
This is such an over-reaction.  Right now, it is the players that aren't getting the job done.  It is mainly on D, and it mainly comes down to learning the def rotations, giving more effort, and playing smart.

Doc can motivate til the cows come home, but in the end it is on the players.  I suggest we not fire Doc.  Sheesh he is one of the top 5 coaches in the nba.

doc is an overrated coach. celtics need to fire him and get someone that can actually utilzie all of the talent we have on the team.

« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2012, 05:43:01 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I was confused by that whole incident.  That foul wasn't really even that hard.  Humphries didn't even get called for a flagrant.  KG landed on his backside hard, but I think it had more to do with how he fell than how hard the foul was.

At the time I was completely confused by Rondo's reaction.  I know he might have been frustrated, because we were getting spanked by the Nets, but not enough to randomly pick a fight.  It almost felt like he made a conscious decision to pick a fight with a larger player, show that he's tough and tell this soft team to get a backbone... killing his own record for the sake of setting an example for his teammates of being aggressive and "chippy".  Kinda like how a coach intentionally gets himself ejected to inject some life into his squad. 

I figured that was nonsense, though... MAJOR reach that he intentionally got himself suspended to prove a point.  MAJOR reach.  But these comments that he "is tired of being the enforcer" do add a little credibility to that concept... that he picked a fight on purpose, killed his record and got himself ejected to prove a point. 

I don't even think it was Rondo trying to be a tough guy.  I think it was Rondo being frustrated that the team was playing poorly and nobody was hitting shots from his passes.  If the Celts were winning and Rondo was playing well I doubt that would have happened.

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
This may be a silly question but didn't we bring in Collins for this exact reason? He needs to take a long look in the mirror of the jersey he has on. Take it off cruise control buddy.. No discernable skills besides settng screens and post defense. The least he could do is make his six fouls count. And count HARD.

Yea Collins, do that from the BENCH!!! I guess Darko should have killed from the bench too.

I like Doc but he makes mistakes too. One big mistake I think he makes, he won't play players unless they perform well in PRACTICE (he has said so many times). I think he fails to realize that there are a lot of people who 1)don't go full out in practice (don't like it really) 2) perform when the lights are on 3) of course they aren't going to play well against KG all the time

This to me, is the reason he never played Darko. Doc said that after Darko got the news about his mother (or was it gma?) that his attitude changed and he wasn't really engaged anymore. MAYBE Doc should have put him in actual games where he wouldn't have much time to think... he could have at least knocked ppl down hard/gave MAN fouls!

You never know what a guy can do in a game until you give him a chance!

Like last season, Doc would never play Moore b/c as Doc said he never had an opportunity to see the rookies in practice so that's why he didn't trust them (in other words)! When Moore found his rhythm he started shooting well and running the offense but Doc still refused to let him play more than garbage minutes. Now this off-season they didn't want to give Moore up (because they knew he was a good role player) but were forced to in order to get Lee.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2012, 06:14:48 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I definitely think doc is extremely overrated. Decent coach at best.

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Brandon Bass is really the guy who should be doing this... he's very good at hard fouling guys on breakaways so they don't get easy layups (he's also good at not ACTUALLY injuring people), but this really just seems like another thing that disappoints me about him.

Bass is big and strong but really is only good at shooting jump shots, he's not an intelligent offensive player, he has ZERO post game, he's often late on rotations... and when he is late on those rotations he doesn't ever get in there to drill a guy and send a message.

I really enjoy comparing this team (including Avery Bradley) makeup-wise to the Bad Boy Pistons teams. Rondo-Isiah Bradley-Dumars Pierce-Aguirre Garnett-Laimbeer... the only this is that Rick Mahorn/James Edwards guy who can be a big body willing to hand out hard fouls.

C'MON Big Bass!

The other problem could be KG. While KG is a great team defender and one of the greatest defensive talkers in the NBA... he no longer is the individual defender or shot blocker he was earlier in his career. I'd love to see KG start dishing out a few more fouls... 2.1 per game in 30 minutes? He can afford a few more IMO

« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2012, 06:49:09 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Yea Collins, do that from the BENCH!!! I guess Darko should have killed from the bench too.

I like Doc but he makes mistakes too. One big mistake I think he makes, he won't play players unless they perform well in PRACTICE (he has said so many times). I think he fails to realize that there are a lot of people who 1)don't go full out in practice (don't like it really) 2) perform when the lights are on 3) of course they aren't going to play well against KG all the time

This to me, is the reason he never played Darko. Doc said that after Darko got the news about his mother (or was it gma?) that his attitude changed and he wasn't really engaged anymore. MAYBE Doc should have put him in actual games where he wouldn't have much time to think... he could have at least knocked ppl down hard/gave MAN fouls!

Like last season, Doc would never play Moore b/c as Doc said he never had an opportunity to see the rookies in practice so that's why he didn't trust them (in other words)! When Moore found his rhythm he started shooting well and running the offense but Doc still refused to let him play more than garbage minutes. Now this off-season they didn't want to give Moore up (because they knew he was a good role player) but were forced to in order to get Lee.

Really interesting point you make here, TP. From my point of view collins saw far more minutes last game than he deserved and i didn't see one ounce of enforcer or nastiness. I saw a guy going through the motions. And not too effectively at that.

I agree with muscularghandi that most of this role should fall on Bass's shoulders but if Collins gets those minutes i fully expect him to pick up any slack in this department, and i saw NOTHING.

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2012, 06:56:56 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Really interesting point you make here, TP. From my point of view collins saw far more minutes last game than he deserved and i didn't see one ounce of enforcer or nastiness. I saw a guy going through the motions. And not too effectively at that.

I agree with muscularghandi that most of this role should fall on Bass's shoulders but if Collins gets those minutes i fully expect him to pick up any slack in this department, and i saw NOTHING.

I expect that from Collins too but it's hard for people to learn the rotations on D while playing 30mins per for us... I can't imagine what goes through Collins mind being thrown in for 2 minutes every 5th game. If Doc depended on him a little more I could see him doing just what he has done his entire career... play solid defense and be tough.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2012, 07:01:50 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I was confused by that whole incident.  That foul wasn't really even that hard.  Humphries didn't even get called for a flagrant.  KG landed on his backside hard, but I think it had more to do with how he fell than how hard the foul was.

As far as I know, they can't call it a flagrant foul, since it happened after the whistle. Humphries got a technical for it, and another for the shoving match with Rondo. That's why he got ejected from the game. 

Rondo explained that the reason he was mad about the foul was that it happened while KG was unprotected, and he himself was hurt last season from a similar foul.

« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2012, 07:17:17 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It's funny, the last guy we had with any kind of 'tough' streak in him (bar Rondo and KG) was probably Jermaine Oneal.

As much as he sucked and was barely on the court, when he was out there he wouldn't take any garbage and had no fear of commiting a hard foul. 

Pietrus actually had that toughness in him as well - he was never a 'bad' guy, but he was just a guy who laid it all on the line every night.  Same can be said for Dooling, Marquis and Hollins.

It's actually funny when you think about it.  We essentially traded a bench of not very talented players who were full of heart, for a group of very talented players who have no heart.

Look at how we played last year compared to now - even at our absolute worst, our defense was never this bad.  This has taught me a very important lesson about talent vs personality.  Sometimes your better of with a total scrub who will work his butt off ever night rather than an ultra-talented player who just doesn't care.

And on that note, some people on here are suggesting we should trade for Gasol - a guy who personifies 'soft'.

It's ironic that right now I feel we'd be better off with Hollins, Marquis and Pietrus then we are with Bass, Lee and Green.   That entire concept is just beyond comprehension.

Actually I will give credit to one guy - Sullinger.  He's got a nice-guy attitude, but he's not soft. That kid plays hard every single night.  No wonder Doc and KG love the kid.

« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
and te leading rebounder.....doesn't anyone else WANT the ball as bad....?

« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Doc is not a disciplinarian. To be a great coach you have to have that element. Talent or not, your players have to follow and respect your decisions on the court
You're saying our players don't respect Doc and don't follow his decisions on the court? Please excuse me while I laugh this "argument" off.

Doc is the quintessential "When things are going well" coach. He's fun to be around when things are going well and makes better decisions. And yes at that time, his players listen to him. But when things get tough and it becomes a pressure situation, he's all out of sorts and doesn't know how to lead his team to victory. Almost Identical to Spoelstra
Doc didn't start working here in 2008. For that matter, the pre-2008 Doc-coached teams were fun to watch because they always played together and played hard, regardless of the fact they weren't going anywhere. So much about this theory.

I bolded an important part. Since when is a losing team in a pre-2008 era that barely gets 30 wins a season a pressure situation? *Confused*
When the pressure is high, Doc doesn't lead his team to victory most of the time. That is my point

You're right, because he's never led a team playing below their level to inspiring playoff runs. Nope, never.

Yeah yup, cause that pressure is equal to coaching a team who is a championship contender  ::)

Right, because we weren't contenders in 2010 or 2012... wait... no, that makes perfect sense.