Author Topic: Celtics became soft when they traded Perk  (Read 1694 times)

Celtics became soft when they traded Perk
« on: November 30, 2012, 05:16:32 AM »

Offline Bossco

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 54
It is not Jeff Green's fault that the Celtics are so called "soft". It is Danny Ainge's (and doc's because he went along with it).

I can clearly remember an interview that DA gave after the trade where he was unwilling to even admit that he gave up the best defender in the trade!? I couldn't believe my ears. Did Danny know something that we didn't? Well so far - NO! So far it looks like trading Perk and getting JG and paying him that contract was a major blunder.

NBA basketball has been around for a while and the center and point guard positions are usuallly the most pivotal. 

We were all set at both positions then and for the future.

What happens? We trade our young heart and soul defensive/ toughness guy and then supposedly shop Rondo all over the league.

I knew the moment that we traded Perk that we were in trouble. We used to hang our hat on defense. Can you imagine a team with Perk and KG on it ever being called soft? Small ball is ok sometimes, but size, strength and toughness are needed as well. Guarding the rim used to be a given.

Team basketball is not about stats or salaries. It is about roles. Perk had a role and he played it well. We never lost a playoff series with him in the starting lineup.

Ainge made a terrible mistake trading Perk. He could have been our corner stone defensive presence for a long time,  but instead poor KG is left all by himself back there. We used to be a well oiled machine defensively, now the wheels seem to be coming off.

DA obviously thought that it would easy to replace Perk, but our window was now and he never should have tinkered with the team's defensive chemistry that way. He gambled and we all suffer now because of it.

Re: Celtics became soft when they traded Perk
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:48:37 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
KG made Perkins look like a better defender that he was or is.
He's a decent low post defender ( he was when his knees were 100%). He's now basically an overpaid back up center, you shouldn't get 9 million because you can attempt to rough up Pau Gasol or bark at Zac Randolph.
This team isn't soft. Doc is trying to get them fired up, trying to ignite something under them.
We have two guys who just came off major heart surgery and are playing in the NBA after having their chest cavities opened up and played with, sewn back up, barely walking 9 months ago- now THAT is tough.
A team that takes the Miami Heat to 7 games in their court and gets through the ECF when Rondo gets suspended and wins that Hawks game, with Ray on one leg, Avery's shoulder cooked etc. Rondo playing the year before with a broken arm, or scoring 44 points and 15 assists in an epic series.
That ain't soft.

Anyone who claims Perkins was the key to our 'toughness' is kidding themselves. He was a godchild of KG.
We still have KG playing like he's 26 every night at age 36. That's tough.

It's 15 games in. Oh and by the way, Perkins 'toughness' ain't that special if OKC wish they unloaded him a while ago. Problem is no one will take that contract lol.

I know who the Heat are not wanting to see in the ECF this year. They don't care about those overpaid bums on the Nets. They don't care about the hyped up Knicks. They don't care about the 76ers without Bynum.
But they are well and truly worried about the Celtics team with 8 new players and wondering how long it will take before their much improved roster starts paying dividends.

As I said, it's 15 games in. People need to think back to last year, everyone ALWAYS hits the panic button- it's an 82 game season. It takes TIME to develop chemistry- but don't question our toughness. Doc doesn't, he's using psychology on the younger guys to get them going, to buy in. He knows he's got KG, Rondo, Pierce and Bass- 4 of the toughest SOB's in the NBA who went to war with the Heat and almost came out on top- he just wants more from the new guys and he'll find a way to get it. Terry's already got it. Lee's got it even if his shot isn't falling.
When Avery gets back it will just solidify our defensive toughness and probably spark the others into playing some real defense.
They're coming for all the haters.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:57:36 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
KG made Perkins look like a better defender that he was or is.
He's a decent low post defender ( he was when his knees were 100%). He's now basically an overpaid back up center, you shouldn't get 9 million because you can attempt to rough up Pau Gasol or bark at Zac Randolph.
This team isn't soft. Doc is trying to get them fired up, trying to ignite something under them.
We have two guys who just came off major heart surgery and are playing in the NBA after having their chest cavities opened up and played with, sewn back up, barely walking 9 months ago- now THAT is tough.
A team that takes the Miami Heat to 7 games in their court and gets through the ECF when Rondo gets suspended and wins that Hawks game, with Ray on one leg, Avery's shoulder cooked etc. Rondo playing the year before with a broken arm, or scoring 44 points and 15 assists in an epic series.
That ain't soft.

Anyone who claims Perkins was the key to our 'toughness' is kidding themselves. He was a godchild of KG.
We still have KG playing like he's 26 every night at age 36. That's tough.

It's 15 games in. Oh and by the way, Perkins 'toughness' ain't that special if OKC wish they unloaded him a while ago. Problem is no one will take that contract lol.

I know who the Heat are not wanting to see in the ECF this year. They don't care about those overpaid bums on the Nets. They don't care about the hyped up Knicks. They don't care about the 76ers without Bynum.
But they are well and truly worried about the Celtics team with 8 new players and wondering how long it will take before their much improved roster starts paying dividends.

As I said, it's 15 games in. People need to think back to last year, everyone ALWAYS hits the panic button- it's an 82 game season. It takes TIME to develop chemistry- but don't question our toughness. Doc doesn't, he's using psychology on the younger guys to get them going, to buy in. He knows he's got KG, Rondo, Pierce and Bass- 4 of the toughest SOB's in the NBA who went to war with the Heat and almost came out on top- he just wants more from the new guys and he'll find a way to get it. Terry's already got it. Lee's got it even if his shot isn't falling.
When Avery gets back it will just solidify our defensive toughness and probably spark the others into playing some real defense.
They're coming for all the haters.

TP'd for truth

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 07:39:41 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:44:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If Perk was the key to toughness why is OKC so soft?   Perk was nothing  more than a cog in the wheel and hard working average center with some attitude.

I think age has caused our softness.   I heard this qoute in Band of Brothers , I think "The worst part of growing old is that other men cease to fear you."

I think that is what has caused our softness.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 07:50:55 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
If Perk was the key to toughness why is OKC so soft?   Perk was nothing  more than a cog in the wheel and hard working average center with some attitude.

I think age has caused our softness.   I heard this qoute in Band of Brothers , I think "The worst part of growing old is that other men cease to fear you."

I think that is what has caused our softness.

Time and time again this league has shown that unless youre the san antonio spurs, the old guys take 25-30 games to really get in shape and in rhythm, especially when the players around them are completely different.

There are definitely some things that require fixing, but I honestly think time and getting games into these guys will be the best medicine.

Perkins is a terrible basketball player right now an was last season aswell. He's not helping anyone's toughness.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 08:01:01 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
When Avery Bradley was starting last season, we were the best defensive team in the NBA, and some argued a historically good defense.

So...you are wrong.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Been saying this for years. As soo as Perk was traded our whole swagger and attitude went out the door with him. We were no longer the big bad Celtics we became the mediocre, quickly aging Celtics. Teams saw the chance to get in the paint without our enforcer and took advantage of it. No longer were we intimidating, we just became a team everyone wanted to beat and could on any given night.

Like Doc always said...Never lost a playoff series with that starting five, still havent.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 08:23:57 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Been saying this for years. As soo as Perk was traded our whole swagger and attitude went out the door with him. We were no longer the big bad Celtics we became the mediocre, quickly aging Celtics. Teams saw the chance to get in the paint without our enforcer and took advantage of it. No longer were we intimidating, we just became a team everyone wanted to beat and could on any given night.

Like Doc always said...Never lost a playoff series with that starting five, still havent.

The "soft Celtics" were still a top three defensive team in the league last year who got better as the playoffs rolled around.  This was a team that made it to the ECF and took the mighty Heat to seven, despite almost everyone predicting that they would be out of the playoffs by the second round.

It'll come this year. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:23 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

The "soft Celtics" were still a top three defensive team in the league last year who got better as the playoffs rolled around.  This was a team that made it to the ECF and took the mighty Heat to seven, despite almost everyone predicting that they would be out of the playoffs by the second round.

It'll come this year.

And if we had that swagger, attitude, and non softness...We would have beat them in the playoffs.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 08:55:34 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

It'll come this year.

And if we had that swagger, attitude, and non softness...We would have beat them in the playoffs.

O.K.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 08:57:53 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Losing Shaq and Perk blew the bottom out of the Celtics inside tuffness.

When they left the swagger left.   

Bradley popularity is due in part to he has FILLED IN this missing swagger .  He plays with passion and grit.

There were definelty intanglables lost with the Perk trade.
And some important team chemistry.

Trading for Green was a poor judgement call at the wrong time.

My hope is Fab Melo can make up for it one day .  I have no faith that Jeff Green is going to take Pierces spot one day.

I personally think Kris Joseph is going to be a more highly regarded player than Jeff Green ever will one day before its all said and dun.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 09:00:59 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Celtics were nowhere close to being a "soft" team last year when they played historically great defense from the All-Star break on.

/thread.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 09:08:50 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
They lost a lot of their ability to intimidate in the middle. 

They still have KG, but many of the top teams can now pull him out of the middle plus, the Celtics need him to be in as little foul trouble as possible.

They do need that 2nd big man teams have to think twice about attacking the middle.  A big man that can afford to get into foul trouble. 

Celtics are still a good team defense.  One of the best.

But there are two holes:  top notch defensive rebounding and a second enforcer.

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 09:31:01 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
We became soft when we lost Powe.  He was our last interior presence.

It's not about getting technicals and staring players down angrily.  What makes a team tough is their play in the paint.  You need hustling guys down low that make their presence known offensively, defensively, and on the boards (Perk helped but he was only 1 for 3).  We won because we had 3 guys like that (with Brown and KG), we were clearly the best team in the league for 2 years until Powe and KG got hurt, and we only returned to the top when we picked up another one in Shaq (followed by a big dropoff when he got hurt and it was just KG again.).

Only having one interior presence makes being soft unavoidable.  That's why we get especially killed every time KG sits down.

If we're talking about losing our swagger/chemistry, that didn't go with Perk either.  Ubuntu was lost with Posey.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale