Author Topic: Rondo was in bad spot did not have much of a choice  (Read 1936 times)

Rondo was in bad spot did not have much of a choice
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:40:32 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
folks have called on Rondo to be the leader of this team

The team had been `playing soft, and getting pushed around. That is the result of Doc's obsession with small ball. We do not have an enforcer and we have one of the thinnest players in the league at Center. Therefore, other teams have really been pushing us around this season. It is funny that Doc Rivers coaching is partly responsible for the softness, yet he is the one callinmg out the team for being soft.

Now fast foward to Rondo incident. Humphries had just taken a hard foul on Garnett. Rather than offer Garnett a hand Kris turn around but unfortunately Rondo was right there in front of him. Now Rondo who had listened to his coach (Doc) call his team soft, and who had just witnessed his mentor get hard fouled by an unapologetic Humphries, in his own house, and the same Humphries in now barreling into his space, had three options

1. Allow Humpries to chest bump him after Humphries just flattened Garnett.

2. Do a quick 'oh I am sorry in your space' step aside for Humphries, or

3. Put his arm up to protect his chest and push Humphries back

I would take option 3 in that situation.

If Rondo was not directly on top of that play.. the push or fight probably never happens.

Re: Rondo was in bad spot did not have much of a choice
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Good team mates and friends always have your back, anyone blaming him for this is clueless about honor.  If he didn't do something people would complain if he did people complained it was a no win.   But it is better to no win and stand up for yourself than be walked on.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:51:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No, he made a bad play.

There is nothing wrong with coming to a teammates aide.

There is nothing wrong with a little bumping.

There is an issue when you allow yourself to get into a wrestling match. 

Star players need to be smarter then that. 

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:02:35 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Good team mates and friends always have your back, anyone blaming him for this is clueless about honor.  If he didn't do something people would complain if he did people complained it was a no win.   But it is better to no win and stand up for yourself than be walked on.
If he didn't do something, people would complain?  I don't think anyone expects the star point guard to have to play the role of the goon. 

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:04:22 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah this was just dumb. Rondo initiated the whole thing. To say Humphries had anything to do with instigating this is kind of ridiculous to me. It was a "hard" (to me not so hard) foul. Pick him up, move on, beat the opponent with your play.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:05:38 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I still like what Rondo did. I don't really care about the suspensions.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 08:13:34 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
IMO it wasn't a fight  ??? , nobody punchs connected, no blood , nobody hurt.  Happened nearly every game back in the 70-80's  . People pushed each other , pointed finders and got in each others face on a regualr basis. BIG DEAL...I can't remeber anyone actually connecting with a haymaker.

Starting a fight would or could get you kicked out of a game. (fair enought) , but unless there was actually punching ( clinched fist) or someone was injured suspensions were rare. 

Just rewatch some of the old Lakers , Pistons and Celtics games.  There was an altercation practically every 3and 4 quarter as the games got serious and close.

The worse offense I remember was WORLD PEACE going into the stands after the fans.  That is just not tolerable , he should have been kicked out of the NBA and tossed in jail .  He is a basket case , brain warped nut.  , and shouldn't be in the public , much less the NBA.

Big deal what Rondo did , he shoved  a jerk 7 inchs taller than himself...we did that everytime we had pick up games as a kid.  I've seen better fights between women in front of the girls restroom  in high school..... ;D

People are so soft .

Next time ...I 'd tell Rondo , be sure get a good pop in ,give him a fat lip ,  make it worth the suspension.  People sit around and watch mutialtions of Zombies shows and yet a "A SHOVE" in a NBA game is blown up all out of sorts.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 08:25:59 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
IMO it wasn't a fight  ??? , nobody punchs connected, no blood , nobody hurt.  Happened nearly every game back in the 70-80's  . People pushed each other , pointed finders and got in each others face on a regualr basis. BIG DEAL...I can't remeber anyone actually connecting with a haymaker.

Starting a fight would or could get you kicked out of a game. (fair enought) , but unless there was actually punching ( clinched fist) or someone was injured suspensions were rare. 

Just rewatch some of the old Lakers , Pistons and Celtics games.  There was an altercation practically every 3and 4 quarter as the games got serious and close.

The worse offense I remember was WORLD PEACE going into the stands after the fans.  That is just not tolerable , he should have been kicked out of the NBA and tossed in jail .  He is a basket case , brain warped nut.  , and shouldn't be in the public , much less the NBA.

Big deal what Rondo did , he shoved  a jerk 7 inchs taller than himself...we did that everytime we had pick up games as a kid.  I've seen better fights between women in front of the girls restroom  in high school..... ;D

People are so soft .

Next time ...I 'd tell Rondo , be sure get a good pop in ,give him a fat lip ,  make it worth the suspension.  People sit around and watch mutialtions of Zombies shows and yet a "A SHOVE" in a NBA game is blown up all out of sorts.

It is not about people being "SOFT"

It is about players understanding the current NBA culture and rules. 

And a guy like Rondo has to be extra careful because of his past run-ins with the NBA office.

Hopefully the entire Celtics team takes a lesson from this so it doesn't happen during the playoffs. 

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 08:49:35 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

People are so soft .

And a guy like Rondo has to be extra careful because of his past run-ins with the NBA office.

Hopefully the entire Celtics team takes a lesson from this so it doesn't happen during the playoffs.

Well I KNOW.. NBA could stand to "LIGHTEN" up a little,its got too geeky,  ruff play helps the players release some frustration, it's a CONTACT sport of pete sake...for people who don't like contact then go watch ice skating all I can say.  The contact is what makes it exciting.

I liked watching Kurt Rambis, Moses Malone, John Stockton, Larry Bird, Shaq , Ainge, Cowans, Lambeer , Thomas, Walton, KG, Kevin Love, Wilt..  players with passion.  Rondo is "OLD SCHOOL" and that fine by me.

Carry on.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 08:55:14 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

People are so soft .

Well I KNOW.. NBA could stand to "LIGHTEN" up a little,its got too geeky,  ruff play helps the players release some frustration, it's a CONTACT sport of pete sake...for people who don't like contact then go watch ice skating all I can say.  The contact is what makes it exciting.

I liked watching Kurt Rambis, Moses Malone, John Stockton, Larry Bird, Shaq , Ainge, Cowans, Lambeer , Thomas, Walton, KG, Kevin Love, Wilt..  players with passion.  Rondo is "OLD SCHOOL" and that fine by me.

Carry on.

Its certainly a contact sport through game play.

But for it to become a contact sport after the whistle or outside of the game is just ridiculous.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 08:55:56 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Star players need to be smarter then that.
Obviously I have no problem with this.  Stuff happens.

Although I think Wdleehi makes a good point here.  We lost our "go-to" tough guys every year (Posey, Powe, Tony, and finally Perk) but they were all role players pretty far down on the roster.  Having that setup is a lot smarter than having your best player playing enforcer and getting thrown out of games.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 09:03:33 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
The league is so bogus I do t really care about this much. In the playoffs I do tho.

The league is such a joke. Been in a downward spiral. Stern blocks a trade is going to reprimand Spurs because they have a coach who is doing his job. Sad.

This stuff happens in middle school with less consequences.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 09:14:14 AM »

Offline Section301

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • Yum
I agree that it shouldn't have been Rondo who stepped up, but someone had to.  I can think of several occasions over the years where a player took a hard foul and none of his teammates did anything about it.  One case that comes readily to mind is when Pierce dunked on Bosh in Toronto a few years back, and Bosh took one in the boys.  The recurring comments centered around how no one "stood up for" Bosh, and what a sad commentary that was on team chemistry and how little respect teammates had for Bosh. 

Right or wrong, Rondo took it upon himself to demonstrate what should be done.  In a perfect world, it would have been a role player, and not the star of the team.  But as a leader, it's possible Rondo felt the need to demonstrate the sort of response that was required, perhaps because he had no reason to believe any of his teammates would do it.

I don't want the best player on the team doing the fighting - I want him on playing, not suspended.  But I think an argument can be made that Rondo, especially in light of how the C's were playing that night, wouldn't have had any reason to suspect that anyone else was going to do it.  I sure can't think of anyone else on the team who was gonna get in Humphries' face.

For the record, though, to me it looked like Rondo shoved Humphries, and was moving to go get KG.  Humphries held on to Rondo and the shoving escalated because he didn't let go.  I can't see how Rondo gets stripped of his Jersey unless Humphries is engaged in the wrestling match as well.  Rondo instigated, but Humphries was certainly a participant and not an innocent victim.  If he shares culpability for the fight, he should share the burden of the punishment.  He got neither fine nor suspension. 
Good food, like good music and good love, always requires a little sweat in the making in order for it to be truly memorable.

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
If he didn't do something, people would complain?  I don't think anyone expects the star point guard to have to play the role of the goon.

It's the type of gutless players we have. We let a Point Guard take on Humphries. Good Rondo. We're an old West Coast type of Team. All offense no Defense.

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Yeah this was just dumb. Rondo initiated the whole thing. To say Humphries had anything to do with instigating this is kind of ridiculous to me. It was a "hard" (to me not so hard) foul. Pick him up, move on, beat the opponent with your play.

It's true that Rondo instigated the incident but 9 times out of 10 1-2 shoves is the end of the skirmish, Humphries is the main reason the situation escalated and went into the stands.