Author Topic: Pop may have been making a larger statement by sitting players  (Read 1796 times)

Pop may have been making a larger statement by sitting players
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:17:49 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I form of protest to the NBA for poor or fixed scheduling, and poor offciating in favor of LeBron.

Knowing Pop this was more of a protest than resting his players. The term for the labor action in labor economics is 'walk to rule'. You show up for work, but you do not put in a full effort.

Pop's message could be 'hey you rigged this schedule in favor of Heat, and your refs always favor the Heat, so I am not going to play your game and subject my stars to a rigged mtachup'

This is my take.

Re: Pop may have been making a larger statement by sitting players
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:18:51 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
yeah i agree there is a message in it. why play against the heat when the refs will let them win.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 05:05:29 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Or maybe he was just resting some dinosaur players in a tough game which they'd probably lose anyway?
Put it this way- he rests his stars for 1 game which was 50/50 instead of leaving them in and maybe winning, and then maybe losing the next 2 from fatigue.
He loses this one, give his second unit a tough match up defensively and giving the team a much better shot at winning the games after the Heat game after their older core is rested.
I really don't think Popovic buys into the fan's 'rigged' dimension that lots of Heat or Laker or Celtic haters seem to think exists.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 12:23:57 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I believe he was making a larger statement. You just do not pull all your stars in a early season game.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I believe he was making a larger statement. You just do not pull all your stars in a early season game.
He did it last year. (at least with Duncan)

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

Yup, just to add to your post, here's a link to a recap of a game against Portland last year.  Ginobili and Splitter were injured.  Popovich rested Duncan and Parker.  The Spurs lost by 40 to the Blazers. Popovich has done this before.  I don't think Popovich was trying to make a statement against the Blazers.

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said before the game that he was resting Parker and Duncan because the Spurs were playing three games in four nights.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=320221022

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, I'm sure he wasn't exactly thrilled with the NBA schedule makers but I think that would be the extent of the underlying message (besides the obvious one of doing what's best for his team, in his mind).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Yup, just to add to your post, here's a link to a recap of a game against Portland last year.  Ginobili and Splitter were injured.  Popovich rested Duncan and Parker.  The Spurs lost by 40 to the Blazers. Popovich has done this before.  I don't think Popovich was trying to make a statement against the Blazers.

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said before the game that he was resting Parker and Duncan because the Spurs were playing three games in four nights.

So you are saying that Pop has a tendency to sit his star and aging players in games he thinks he has a low chance of winning. Hmmmm that wont fly well with the consumers. So what we have is 'welcome to the NBA where winning is everything and you will only get TIM DUNCAN and other stars on nights that they have a shot at winning'. That is more accurate than buy a ticket come see our stars.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

So you are saying that Pop has a tendency to sit his star and aging players in games he thinks he has a low chance of winning. Hmmmm that wont fly well with the consumers. So what we have is 'welcome to the NBA where winning is everything and you will only get TIM DUNCAN and other stars on nights that they have a shot at winning'. That is more accurate than buy a ticket come see our stars.

His pattern is to rest guys at the end of long road trips.  HEAT fans were able to see LeBron, Wade, and Bosh anyway.

I wouldn't say that the Spurs had no shot of beating the Blazers last year.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 12:50:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Well, I'm sure he wasn't exactly thrilled with the NBA schedule makers but I think that would be the extent of the underlying message (besides the obvious one of doing what's best for his team, in his mind).

I agree.  To the extent there was a "message" beyond just resting the guys, it was that Pop thought the schedule was unreasonable and refused to play along.

But I would LOVE to see Pop's response to someone telling him he sat his guys because "the refs are biased toward LeBron so you know you can't win anyway".

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 01:23:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I Pop doesn't like the Travel, ect , ect , then he needs to complain during the OFF SEASON and not screw the fan out of their hard earned money.

he is not using good judegment .

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wonder if the league is annoyed that he actually sent them home instead of at least having them sit on the bench in street clothes.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »

Offline Stizz44

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3

I agree.  To the extent there was a "message" beyond just resting the guys, it was that Pop thought the schedule was unreasonable and refused to play along.

But I would LOVE to see Pop's response to someone telling him he sat his guys because "the refs are biased toward LeBron so you know you can't win anyway".

I agree right here! If this was about resting guys he would have rested his stars against the Raptors, Wizards, or Magic.

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
count me as slightly gleeful at anything that annoys David Stern, regardless of the motivation.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Its funny that people think of Stern as the cocky one, when comparing him to Pop.  I see it the other way around.  Stern is certainly cocky, but Pop is one of the most self satisfied people I have ever seen, and this is just another case of him trying to prove how much smarter than everyone else that he is.