Author Topic: chance of KG, Pierce, Terry, and Green making all-star team  (Read 4117 times)

Re: chance of KG, Pierce, Terry, and Green making all-star team
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Guards - Rondo, Wade, Williams, Holiday
Bigs - Bosh, Chandler, Horford, Lopez, KG
Forwards - LeBron, Melo, Pierce

I'd say that's how it looks right now.  WAY early though, Johnson, Smith, Deng, West, and Ellis all have outside shots at grabbing reserve spots from KG or Lopez.  The rest is pretty firm.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 04:15:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I'd say that's how it looks right now.  WAY early though, Johnson, Smith, Deng, West, and Ellis all have outside shots at grabbing reserve spots from KG or Lopez.  The rest is pretty firm.
The current denomination for voting is "frontcourt" and "guard". I imagine this means you'll end up with 5 guards and 7 front court players on each team. I couldn't find the rules anywhere, but there's no distinction between "forwards" and "bigs" anymore.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 05:17:52 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

The current denomination for voting is "frontcourt" and "guard". I imagine this means you'll end up with 5 guards and 7 front court players on each team. I couldn't find the rules anywhere, but there's no distinction between "forwards" and "bigs" anymore.
There never was.  It was 4 guards, 4 forwards, 2 centers, and 2 reserves.  A lot of times they don't end up looking like real rosters, and sometimes there can be 4 or 5 players at the same position.  And there's no designated 5/7 split, the best players make it.

I'm assuming they changed it to 4 guards, 6 frontcourt players, and 2 reserves.  The only reason I separated the bigs into their own category is because it's neater.  Combine the categories if you like, it doesn't change anything.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 12:14:47 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think Jeff Green will not get in but he is terribly underrated by the league and only celtics fans can appreciate his true value. He is the best sixth man off the bench today and has the ability to be the best player on an nba team. It sucks he doesnt get the recognition and respect he deserves just because he had a year off.

So wait, do you think Jeff Green should be an All-Star?
[/quote]

if not for doc rivers hating him and not giving him playing time, and if fans actually watched the game rather than box scores he easily deserves to be one of the key reserves on the all star team
[/quote]

Since he came here I have been oneof the biggest Jef Green supporters out there.  I love his talents and his physical gifts, and also felt that given the chance he could be an exceptionally good player for us.

Unfortuantely though, you are way off with the above.  When you're talking All-Stars you're talking about (in theory) the best 15 player in each conference.  There is no way you can even dream that Jeff Green is a top 15 player in the easy right now. 

Even if he realises his potential and plays like he's capable of playing he's still the 4th or 5th best player on this team behind Rondo, Pierce, KG and possibly Terry. You can't be the 4th or 5th best player on your team and be be a top 15 player in your conference - not unless the team you play for is Team USA.

I think Green deinately has the POTENTIAL to be an All-Star with his skill and natural talent, but he's got a long way to go before he gets there.

Back to the original subject.  Rondo is pretty much a shoe-in for an All Star spot.  Neither KG and Pierce are certain, but both have a very good chance. 

KG's production on a per-minute basis has been exceptional.  Take a look at all Eastern Conference players who average at least 20 minutes a game - KG currently ranks 6th in Efficiency per 48 minutes among that group.  His EFF48M ranks 2 spots above Rondo and 24 spots above Pierce.

The only genuine bigs in the East who rank above him are:

Tyson Chandler
Brook Lopez
Chris Bosh
Anderson Varejao

Only Chandler and Varejao could come argue that they impact on the 'intangibles' as much as KG does.

I think that Pierce maybe should be as well because he's pretty much a top 3 player in the East at his position (behind Carmello and Lebron).  Still, he may not make it.

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 05:32:05 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
LOL at Jeff Green making it in all-star. Next year maybe when he is consistently contributing. Even Bradley have a higher chance of making the team than Green right now if he is healthy.

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 05:38:44 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
^bradley isnt on the ballot

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 07:22:18 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
^
I know but he will have a better chance if he is.

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 08:30:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
KG 5%
PP 25%
Green 0%
Terry 0%

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2012, 02:08:28 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Quote from: crimson_stallion
There is no way you can even dream that Jeff Green is a top 15 player in the easy right now. 

past 5 games, Green has averaged 16 points and 4.2 rebounds on 54.4 percent shooting from the field and a staggering 57.1 percent from 3-point land -- all in just 24.2 minutes per game.

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2012, 09:03:19 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think the C's will only have rondo in the game.  I don't think anyone else will be selected.
still stand by this

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2012, 09:09:16 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Quote from: crimson_stallion
There is no way you can even dream that Jeff Green is a top 15 player in the easy right now. 

past 5 games, Green has averaged 16 points and 4.2 rebounds on 54.4 percent shooting from the field and a staggering 57.1 percent from 3-point land -- all in just 24.2 minutes per game.

Role player on a hot streak.  You see it all the time in the NBA.  Those shooting %s are not going to stay.  They will come back down.

Hopefully they only drop into the "good" range.