Author Topic: Stern to fine Spurs for sitting players  (Read 30693 times)

Re: Stern to fine Spurs for sitting players
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2012, 12:18:19 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I love it.  I can't understand why a fan wouldn't support it, either.

The committment to the game is sacrosanct.  You don't and shouldn't want to not play.  They should've kicked Popovich's butt for keeping them out of the game if they're heathy.

The competition is sacrosanct.  You don't hold back from giving an opponent your best shot with your best players.

The product given to the fans who support the entire enterprise is sacrosanct, too.  I'm basically a one game/yr guy due to distance and money, and I'd be bull **** p---ed to see nearly the entire starting unit not even in the arena.

And I do think that it's the role of the commissioner of a league to oversee and ensure the above.  The commish oversees the competition factor, has a role in marketing the NBA as a legit league worth watching, and is the face of the league as a whole to the fans.

I can't believe the fine was so low.  What would the one-game's pay for those 4 total up to?  Fine the franchise that much.

At least teams tanking for the draft make claims about either players nursing an injury or wanting to give young guys run.  The Spurs basically said we don't want our guys to play.  That's unabashedly wrong.

This.

I don't agree with everything Stern does, but I agree here.

Pop has been resting his players for the last few years now - that is no secret. But why wait until THIS game to do it wholesale?

Why couldn't he have waited until the game after MIA or even next week? The way Tim Duncan has been playing lately, I'd think he is trying to make another All-Star game. The man doesn't appear to need ANY rest.

« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

The committment to the game is sacrosanct.  You don't and shouldn't want to not play.  They should've kicked Popovich's butt for keeping them out of the game if they're heathy.

The competition is sacrosanct.  You don't hold back from giving an opponent your best shot with your best players.

The product given to the fans who support the entire enterprise is sacrosanct, too.  I'm basically a one game/yr guy due to distance and money, and I'd be bull **** p---ed to see nearly the entire starting unit not even in the arena.

And I do think that it's the role of the commissioner of a league to oversee and ensure the above.  The commish oversees the competition factor, has a role in marketing the NBA as a legit league worth watching, and is the face of the league as a whole to the fans.

I can't believe the fine was so low.  What would the one-game's pay for those 4 total up to?  Fine the franchise that much.

At least teams tanking for the draft make claims about either players nursing an injury or wanting to give young guys run.  The Spurs basically said we don't want our guys to play.  That's unabashedly wrong.

This.

Pop has been resting his players for the last few years now - that is no secret. But why wait until THIS game to do it wholesale?

Why couldn't he have waited until the game after MIA or even next week? The way Tim Duncan has been playing lately, I'd think he is trying to make another All-Star game. The man doesn't appear to need ANY rest.

So it would have been acceptable if he sat them all against the Wizards on local tv?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Probally the first time I ever agreed with Stern.  I see Pop's case .  and he's been doing this all along, but NOT on a huge TV special night against the premier team of the HEAT.  That was a BAD call Pop.  YOu pushed Sterns button I guess. Just not fare to the fans period. Without them you have no NBA , PoP/ >:(

Stern can't let this type of stuff get out of hand.  People /crowrds will feel cheated, overall for the game and NBA  Stern did the right thing to nip it in the bud.

« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

This.

So it would have been acceptable if he sat them all against the Wizards on local tv?

I just think the point is that why wait until the MIA game to do it wholesale like he Pop did?

I love Pop as a coach, but I just don't agree with him here.

I would think that you put ALL of your horses out there for the BIG games - Nationally-televised games - especially when they seem to be playing well.

And Parker,Manu, especially Tim Duncan - have ALL been playing well.

Pop is an independent coach, but come on now......

« Reply #199 on: December 01, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
They should be thankful that Stern didn't fine them more....just a bad call by Pop this time.

« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2012, 01:08:36 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

This.

Why would the league schedule this as San Antonio's 4th game in 5 nights while giving Miami 4 days off before a Nationally televised game at home? I think Pop was clearly sending a message to dictator Stern. 

« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2012, 01:18:11 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

This.

Why would the league schedule this as San Antonio's 4th game in 5 nights while giving Miami 4 days off before a Nationally televised game at home? I think Pop was clearly sending a message to dictator Stern.

But we all know by now that MIA gets certain perks...that is no secret.

Champions get this...whether we like it or not.

But to respond in kind - to sit out your best players - especially when they've been playing well? Not a good call.

You don't fight the league's alleged catering to MIA by punishing the fans - plain and simple.

Pop knows this...but he forgot it with the MIA game.

The way that Tim Duncan, Manu and Parker have been playing, they could've played in the MIA game.

Tim Duncan is playing like he will start at the All-Star game.

Again - I love Pop and the Spurs organization nearly as much as I love BOS's - but just a bad call here by Pop.

Put your horses out there for the big games - unless they are sick or have family issues or such.

I'm not feeling well right now - there were days that I didn't feel well while in the service.

But did I "sit out"?....I worked until I just couldn't do it.

And I'm making a LOT less than these players.

Again - I just don't agree with Pop's call, here.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:38:38 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2012, 01:23:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This is comical, because the Spurs gave Miami all they could handle anyhow. Who says that not playing your aged, tired stars is NOT giving your team the best chance to win? Is it okay to pull 1 guy? 2? Where do you draw the line?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #203 on: December 01, 2012, 01:44:57 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
as a coach, you have two goals...get through the regular season with as many Wins as possible and your stars healthy as possible.

I dont see how resting your stars against a Contending team who won the championship last year fits that first billing..yes in hindsight they pushed the heat hard, but you are essentially forfeiting that game.

say you are playing the dregs of the league, I think its more understandable if you say "ok we still have a high percentage of winning if we sit {....}"

i dont get pops line of thinking here..

« Reply #204 on: December 01, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Just finished listening to Skip Bayless and Stephen A discuss Pop's choice on ESPN.

While I see Skip's point, he sadly seems to forget that the only loser in Pop's choice is the Fans.

So what if the Schedule makers seem to be allegedly setting the Spurs up for a blowout? Put your horses out there and keep a "blowout" from happening - plain and simple.

Or - rest your star players BEFORE a BIG Nationally-televised game vs the Champs..I'm sure that there wouldn't have been ANY fines if Pop had chosen to do this a few days before the MIA game.

It just sends a bad message - and again the Fans lose out.

« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2012, 01:53:48 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is comical, because the Spurs gave Miami all they could handle anyhow. Who says that not playing your aged, tired stars is NOT giving your team the best chance to win? Is it okay to pull 1 guy? 2? Where do you draw the line?

Exactly.  It sets a stupid precedent. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2012, 01:57:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
If I were Spoelstra, I'd "Rest" Lebron, Wade and Bosh when MIA visits San Antonio.

C'mon now...

« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Just finished listening to Skip Bayless and Stephen A discuss Pop's choice on ESPN.

While I see Skip's point, he sadly seems to forget that the only loser in Pop's choice is the Fans.

So what if the Schedule makers seem to be allegedly setting the Spurs up for a blowout? Put your horses out there and keep a "blowout" from happening - plain and simple.

Or - rest your star players BEFORE a BIG Nationally-televised game vs the Champs..I'm sure that there wouldn't have been ANY fines if Pop had chosen to do this a few days before the MIA game.

This post makes NO sense (hope I don't get in trouble, I'm trying to be careful).

Most of the post you're "worried" about the fans but say that Pop should have done it in another game before that one? Haha so you're saying, no one cares about the fans really, they just care about when they get the most money.

Yeah, you got Pops there....
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2012, 02:03:21 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Is this really the arguement? That the fans lose out? I thinknthats pretty pathetic.

So if he rests his guys against a scrappy team fans don't lose out? Or does he have to work around the national audience to appease them?

I'm trying to think of an arguement favoring sterns decision but I cant come up with one that's logical and not laughable.

I get why stern is upset but tough crap there's nothing you can do without looking like an ass and clearly the majority of humans thinks he looks like an ass now.

Haven't we always joked about this when stars sit? "Uh oh sterns probably peeved about this etc" did anyone actually ever think that he had a right to do what he did? Id hope not.

And sorry for rambling but seriosuly ultimate wussification of America with this crap "the fans lose out" cry me a river over entitled fans.who should be able to get whatever they want

« Reply #209 on: December 01, 2012, 02:04:03 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Look back at April 24th of this year. 

Celtics-Heat on TNT.

Check the box score there and see who the heck played in that nationally televised game and tell me this past Thursday night was worse than that.  It's a joke.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=320424002

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team