Author Topic: Stern to fine Spurs for sitting players  (Read 30686 times)

Re: Stern to fine Spurs for sitting players
« Reply #180 on: November 30, 2012, 08:00:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Spurs fined $250,000 sources nba.com
On nba tv it says for not informing the Heat or the league in a timely manner. Not sure why on Earth you would ever inform your opponent of your rotation strategy if you could possibly avoid it
If that's his reason then it makes no sense.
Well they couldn't say anything about trying to throw a game or bad coaching/strategy because they almost won the game

« Reply #181 on: November 30, 2012, 08:30:25 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
That was a [dang] good game even without the 4. If Stern is fining them in interest of the "fans" then he is full of it. I enjoyed that game from start to finish.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Stern is looking at the big picture that nobody else is looking at.  What happens when 32 coaches decide to routinely sit their best players because Pop is some sort of genius?

I'd like to see Spoelstra coach resting his starters LOL.

Hell. I'd like to see Spoelstra coach resting his 3 best players.

« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2012, 10:04:27 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Absolute mockery. Pop is known for resting his older players during the regular season. Coaches should get together and hold a coup. Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. stern off immediatly and put Silver in. Get this flog out of there!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2012, 10:13:26 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
People don't pay big money to see the scrubs play.

Come on POP its super early in the season.... ARE you scard to play the HEAT????

WHo wants to watch LeBron play a team of second stringers....thats sucks....

I mean ....couldn't HEAT the do the same  just win enough games to make the playoffs,  SIT WADE and JAMES  1/2 the season and then bring them out to play REAL BALL ?????

Tanking to save [players this early in the season is TOTALLY WRONG..... the fans should demand their money back.

SPurs should be fined., or else they will set a presdent and soon all the decent teasm will just go though the motions to make the playoffs.

And HEAT vs Spurs is markee game ,  the TV ratings will fall if all the stars SIT IT OUT.   

Its really not fair to the ticket holders , they expected to se Duncan and buds play.

They are enterainers FIRST ...like it or not.   They are bing paid to BE on the court .... or at least be dressed and make some appearances.

But holding back players this early in the season isn't right. .....  players need to MAN up play the game.

I'm behind Stern on this one...no cheating the fans this early in the season

Ahh no they are basketball players first, not entertainers.

Secondly sitting wade lebron and bosh for a half of a season would make them rusty

Thirdly i would like to think that all the players out there play for the love of the game and the chance to win a championship, rather than just get face time on television

fourthly, where on your ticket does it say YOU WILL SEE Lebron play, YOU WILL SEE Rondo play, YOU WILL SEE blake Griffin play.

Doesnt matter if its early on in the season or not, pop did what he thought was the best for his team.

If this has set a precedent i would like to see Stern fine the Heat or Lakers hell even Boston if later in the season we purposely sat players to rest them. If not, I would be seeking a verbal apology and the money back if i were the Spurs organisation.

Stern Needs to keep his nose out of teams business. OR he should fine Portland also, its quite clear they were tanking games second half of last season by sitting their stars

« Reply #185 on: November 30, 2012, 10:26:53 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

So egregious?

I give it the twitter test.  When I went on twitter yesterday, when it was announced that Pop had sent all those guys home (and before Stern had sent everything), it was blowing up with comments about it.  It had become a major story.  To me, that means that it a significant enough stray from the norm that it is worth addressing. 

If Doc sits KG for a game, there will be a note of it, but it won't be the topic of conversation of every basketball writer in the league, no matter what team they are covering.  But, when you send your 4 best players home before a nationally televised game against the best team in the league, that is noteworthy, and therefore crossing the line IMO.

I don't think it was crossing the line at all.  Sure the TNT executives probably threw a hissy fit but I'm sure Pops could care less and its not his job to appease them anyways.  He's doing what he thinks is right for his team and given the circumstances, I'm totally cool on that.

I think Stern was reactionary and threw a hissy fit without fully thiinking things through here.

I agree that Pops just did his job.  But I also think Stern did his job.

A big deal was made about this in the media, and it looked bad on the NBA.  So he stepped in, and basically said that the NBA does not support this type of decision.

Done and done.

He had stepped in and simply stated that, I could probably understand (although Silver's comments back in April make it a more slippery slope.)  In the interests of the league, its probably not best although a compelling case can be made come playoff time it actually could be, if certain things broke.

But going further and promising "substantial sanctions"?  C'mon....

Well, Stern can't help himself but take things a bit further than they needed to go (the substantial sanctions thing), but that's just Stern.  But I think stepping in was the right thing, because Pop went too far on this one, and something needed to be done.

I still maintain that Pops didn't go too far here unless there is some sort of league bylaw or rule prohibiting this type of stuff which I haven't heard of any.

The fact that the Spurs nearly won that game last night certainly doesn't help Stern's case either.

I agree with this.  The spurs almost won the game anyways.  So what is next?  Telling teams that they can't sit guys right before the playoffs to get rest?  Eventually telling teams that they need to verify injuries before they can scratch someone?  What if the coach says someone is benched because of a disciplinary action?  Does Stern step in and make the coach play the guy because people want to see him?  This is the biggest pile of crap.  Stern is just caving to the little media swirly that came out of this.  If the media wouldn't have jumped all over it, no one would have cared. 

I mean it is so completely arbitrary, and SO over the top money wise.  $250,000, give me a break.  I think it should be the coach's decision completely if he sits someone or not.  This one pushes me into the 'can't wait for Stern to retire' camp.  Almost like he wants to be part of the game, instead of just leading quietly and managing what is already a great league.

« Reply #186 on: November 30, 2012, 10:31:33 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
David Stern has the makings of ruthless tyrant in middle east. I can't stand this guy.

« Reply #187 on: November 30, 2012, 10:59:34 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown

« Reply #188 on: December 01, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I wonder if Wyc, Danny, and the other owners and GMs...Who so shamelessly and overtly tanked the season pre-Garnett.. Don't wish Stern was this judicious to them back then....

Rather than rigging the entire lottery to send his message....

« Reply #189 on: December 01, 2012, 11:37:59 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
the fine is not enough. The spurs and other teams will not feel 250K. The fine should have been about 1 million. You cannot sit players that have been advertized to play. The NBA is about championship but that is just what drives the number one objective of the league which is to make billions of dollars through entertainment. Championships are just the driver, the primary mission is entertainment. When I go to an NBA game I go to be entertained, I dont go to watch a championship. There are no championships in November.

You need to keep fans happy. If you disappoint fans they will talk with their feet. Sterns job is to make money for owners - he has done that fabulously.

For those of who that keep saying it is Pop job to win chips and do whatevr it takes,  say there are a lot of coaches that have that responsibilities in various leagues, but few sell billions of dollars of TV rights based on the high entertainment value of superstar athletes. They are the sellling point and they have to play when they can.

Faor those that say the tickets dont say you get to see player X or Y, that is true but the expectation is there that they will play when they are good to go.

The fine should have been more.

« Reply #190 on: December 01, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
the fine is not enough. The spurs and other teams will not feel 250K. The fine should have been about 1 million. You cannot sit players that have been advertized to play. The NBA is about championship but that is just what drives the number one objective of the league which is to make billions of dollars through entertainment. Championships are just the driver, the primary mission is entertainment. When I go to an NBA game I go to be entertained, I dont go to watch a championship. There are no championships in November.

You need to keep fans happy. If you disappoint fans they will talk with their feet. Sterns job is to make money for owners - he has done that fabulously.

For those of who that keep saying it is Pop job to win chips and do whatevr it takes,  say there are a lot of coaches that have that responsibilities in various leagues, but few sell billions of dollars of TV rights based on the high entertainment value of superstar athletes. They are the sellling point and they have to play when they can.

Faor those that say the tickets dont say you get to see player X or Y, that is true but the expectation is there that they will play when they are good to go.

The fine should have been more.

Ridiculous fine. Ridiculous post.

« Reply #191 on: December 01, 2012, 11:55:06 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Unbelievable. Can't think of another sporting league in the world where the league officials would dictate to a team who they can and can't play.

Dictator Stern needs to be ousted for the good of game.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Awful & creates one heckuva slippery slope.

This punishment screams of ego, IMO.  Stern was reactionary the other night and rather than swallow his pride & back off those comments yesterday, he instead goes ahead with this ridiculous fine. 

NBA has itself a stupid precedent now. 

Should be interesting come April when "tank-mode" usually takes effect due to trying to increase draft odds & playoff seeding positioning.  Is the league going to follow its actions here and start fining teams then? Doubtful.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #193 on: December 01, 2012, 12:10:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Unbelievable. Can't think of another sporting league in the world where the league officials would dictate to a team who they can and can't play.

Dictator Stern needs to be ousted for the good of game.

How many leagues in the world do players become close to billionaires... Stern has done a great job

« Reply #194 on: December 01, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I love it.  I can't understand why a fan wouldn't support it, either.

The committment to the game is sacrosanct.  You don't and shouldn't want to not play.  They should've kicked Popovich's butt for keeping them out of the game if they're heathy.

The competition is sacrosanct.  You don't hold back from giving an opponent your best shot with your best players.

The product given to the fans who support the entire enterprise is sacrosanct, too.  I'm basically a one game/yr guy due to distance and money, and I'd be bull Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. p---ed to see nearly the entire starting unit not even in the arena.

And I do think that it's the role of the commissioner of a league to oversee and ensure the above.  The commish oversees the competition factor, has a role in marketing the NBA as a legit league worth watching, and is the face of the league as a whole to the fans.

I can't believe the fine was so low.  What would the one-game's pay for those 4 total up to?  Fine the franchise that much.

At least teams tanking for the draft make claims about either players nursing an injury or wanting to give young guys run.  The Spurs basically said we don't want our guys to play.  That's unabashedly wrong.