Author Topic: Stern to fine Spurs for sitting players  (Read 30675 times)

Re: Stern to fine Spurs for sitting players
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
This is not like going to a concert... this is a TEAM sport, meaning there are multiple players on a team, they are there to step in when a player is out (w/e the reason)... when you buy tickets to see a band/singer there are no guys waiting in the wings to step in for them!

You, as fans/businessmen of basketball KNOW going into every game there is a chance that you may not get to see your favorite players AHEAD of time! There are no guarantees (said or unsaid) on who you will see at a basketball game, that's why the team is named San Antonio Spurs and not Duncan, Manu, and Parker. If the fans are upset then that's on them for not knowing what sport they are watching!

If I go to see Usher in concert I am guaranteed to see him on stage, if I go to a Spurs game, I am guaranteed to see the Spurs play, not individual players... if I don't see Usher, I get a refund, if I don't see the SPURS play (if it's their fault), I get a refund. Duncan and Parker are NOT the Spurs, they are just players (who can change at any time) on the Spurs team!

I cannot say I totally agree witht his post.. Teams do not exist in a vaccum nor are teams faceless. To say you pay to watch a team and not individuals is a non sequitor because the team is made of individual players. These franchises have faces and they do market individual players. If I go to watch the Clippers I expect to see CP3 griffin and DeAndre, and there better be a good reason if they are scratched from the lineup. If players did not matter then teams would not market them and put them in ad campaigns to lure people to buy season tickets or even individual tickets.

I also disagree that the NBA is about chips. That is only for the fanatics (fans). Believe it or not there are alot of spectators that go to games just for entertainment and dont give a bleep who wins the chip. The real fans could probably not care less if their team rests players because real fans has their eye on the prize,  but think about the coporate executive that invites his business associates from china to a game at in his box because Lakers are in town and he knows the chinese like Kobe, but kobe is a scratch not because of injury but ;just because' that will p--- him off. I remember when we had Olowokandi on the Celtics and the Cs came to town to play the Clippers I went to that game but I was  not happy because Pierce was a scratch - and in that particular case the Cap was a scratch due to injury. Imagine how upset I would have been if he was scratched on a coache's choice.

Believe it or not but NBA tix are expensive and some families plan for some of these games some scrape money together to make someone's day or dream (special days). Think about the father that maybe put some money together to get his child a ticket to the game because though he lives in Miami is youong child is a huge Duncan fan. That kid would be crushed. That is not what the NBA wants. I am sorry to say but Pop was wrong on this one, and I can see how moves like this can set the league up for litigation.

1) Players come and go for many reasons but who is still there? The fans. That should tell you that the majority aren't there for the "stars" but are there for the players as a collective for what they do for the team. When KG retires, a few of his fans will probably latch on to another player or w/e but watch the stadium still fill up without him!

Yes, you need the elite players to actually win but to get fans in the seats? Sure for some of the fans, but when I look at terrible teams w/ terrible players who still have stands full of people (maybe not sellouts but a lot of fans)... teams that are filled with players you wouldn't want on the bench of yours, it leads me to believe that the vast majority pay to see their team and the players as a collective, not as individuals.

I bet if you go to the average fan wearing a jersey or shoes of one of Sterns hyped up players, the majority of them couldn't tell you much of anything about that player, except for probably that their good and if they have won a championship lately. I bet if you ask the majority of people who wear Jordans about him they probably can only tell you he won some championships and was a great player and the most they probably saw of him was an old clip in a commercial or online.

I can find you 5 people right now who can only tell you LeBron is a good player and that he won them the chip AND they have his jersey in their closet. The only reason they have the jersey is b/c the Heat won the chip. They didn't buy it b/c they like him or even care about him, they just know that he is one of the best players on the team (b/c they hear his name a lot and saw him a few times) but I can tell you that before Mia won none of them owned anything with Lebron on it and could care less about him... they just know that "their team" won, so they bought one of the popular jerseys from the Heat. If it was fashionable to wear a Heat jersey with no name on it they would have bought that instead! Matter of fact I can even introduce you to a few people who hate the Bulls who are "fans" of the Celtics who wear a jersey from players on the Lakers b/c it matches their shoes, pants, and hat... it something I would never do b/c to me that's not a real fan but I hold my judgements to myself. So I asked one (my cousin), and he said I just wear it b/c it matches my fit (and I'm sure b/c it's "popular"). A lot of people wear/buy merchandise of the "star" players but not b/c they like those players it's because it's pushed through marketing and it's fashionable.

2)Did I say the NBA was only about chips? I don't think I did, I said people go to the games of bad teams like Bobcats and Wizards (teams that rarely win 30+ games much less championships)... so I'm fairly sure I didn't say that. Of course some are there for entertainment that's obvious. Even I go to a game of teams I have never even heard of b/c it's the only thing to do around here sometimes... I never thought I was the only one. As cheap as some tickets are... cheap entertainment! But those are usually the people the furthest distance from the action or are the rich people (I'm talking about the ones there solely for entertainment purposes).

3) I have been to many sporting events, I am aware that tickets can be costly.

About the people scraping up money to see those players, honestly, it's a nice thought but they would still be in the same predicament if those players were hurt... there are NO GUARANTEES a certain play will be there/play! A dad could buy tickets for a game the same day and the best players can come down with a virus or something and be out, all after being just fine the day b4 and playing bball. While it's sad for the kid, it's life, you don't always get what you want! What are you saying, they deserve a refund? Pfft.

Scratching fans for injury or illness or other legit reasons is acceptable, you cannot do it just because you feel like it. It wont work. NBA will lose business or get sued.

Sued for what exactly?

Sued for brach of contract that is what the NBA enters into when they sell tickets to an event. It is a contract. You pay money and you expect a promised event. That event includes the players that the NBA advertized. Those who say there are no gurantees miss the point because that argument applies to ANY contract. There are no gurantees in life what you expect in a contract situation is good faith and fair dealing. There is no reason to sit players that have been advertized to play, and are healthy enough to play.

So than everybody going to the garden tonight should get a refund because rondo isn't there?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2012, 01:20:15 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

So egregious?

I give it the twitter test.  When I went on twitter yesterday, when it was announced that Pop had sent all those guys home (and before Stern had sent everything), it was blowing up with comments about it.  It had become a major story.  To me, that means that it a significant enough stray from the norm that it is worth addressing. 

If Doc sits KG for a game, there will be a note of it, but it won't be the topic of conversation of every basketball writer in the league, no matter what team they are covering.  But, when you send your 4 best players home before a nationally televised game against the best team in the league, that is noteworthy, and therefore crossing the line IMO.

I don't think it was crossing the line at all.  Sure the TNT executives probably threw a hissy fit but I'm sure Pops could care less and its not his job to appease them anyways.  He's doing what he thinks is right for his team and given the circumstances, I'm totally cool on that.

I think Stern was reactionary and threw a hissy fit without fully thiinking things through here.

I agree that Pops just did his job.  But I also think Stern did his job.

A big deal was made about this in the media, and it looked bad on the NBA.  So he stepped in, and basically said that the NBA does not support this type of decision.

Done and done.

He had stepped in and simply stated that, I could probably understand (although Silver's comments back in April make it a more slippery slope.)  In the interests of the league, its probably not best although a compelling case can be made come playoff time it actually could be, if certain things broke.

But going further and promising "substantial sanctions"?  C'mon....

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Those who are against the move, would you feel better if the Spurs made up bogus, unverifiable excuses?  (Like they used to have to do when they put players on the DL).

Tim Duncan – DNP – migraine
Tony Parker – DNP – night blindess
Manu Ginobili – DNP – androgenic alopeci
Danny Green – DNP – diarrhea

Because if Spurs get fined for this, that's probably the next step for teams. Can't sit a good player for no reason?  Come up with a fake reason.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Those who are against the move, would you feel better if the Spurs made up bogus, unverifiable excuses?  (Like they used to have to do when they put players on the DL).

Tim Duncan – DNP – migraine
Tony Parker – DNP – night blindess
Manu Ginobili – DNP – androgenic alopeci
Danny Green – DNP – diarrhea

Because if Spurs get fined for this, that's probably the next step for teams. Can't sit a good player for no reason?  Come up with a fake reason.

Don't have to "Make up" a reason, just be honest  ;D
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

So egregious?

I give it the twitter test.  When I went on twitter yesterday, when it was announced that Pop had sent all those guys home (and before Stern had sent everything), it was blowing up with comments about it.  It had become a major story.  To me, that means that it a significant enough stray from the norm that it is worth addressing. 

If Doc sits KG for a game, there will be a note of it, but it won't be the topic of conversation of every basketball writer in the league, no matter what team they are covering.  But, when you send your 4 best players home before a nationally televised game against the best team in the league, that is noteworthy, and therefore crossing the line IMO.

I don't think it was crossing the line at all.  Sure the TNT executives probably threw a hissy fit but I'm sure Pops could care less and its not his job to appease them anyways.  He's doing what he thinks is right for his team and given the circumstances, I'm totally cool on that.

I think Stern was reactionary and threw a hissy fit without fully thiinking things through here.

A big deal was made about this in the media, and it looked bad on the NBA.  So he stepped in, and basically said that the NBA does not support this type of decision.

Done and done.

He had stepped in and simply stated that, I could probably understand (although Silver's comments back in April make it a more slippery slope.)  In the interests of the league, its probably not best although a compelling case can be made come playoff time it actually could be, if certain things broke.

Well, Stern can't help himself but take things a bit further than they needed to go (the substantial sanctions thing), but that's just Stern.  But I think stepping in was the right thing, because Pop went too far on this one, and something needed to be done.

« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
There were guaranteed to see the Spurs v. Heat and they saw that.  That's what the ticket said.  I can almost guarantee that.

It didn't say Tim Duncan & Co. on  the ticket.

I'm not missing the point here at all.

TP

This is a spot-on assesment.

If you buy a ticket to a specific game expecting a guarantee to see certain players, you are a fool.

Also isn't there some fine print on the ticket somewhere saying something like dates, times, participants subject to change...

If the fine print is used in an unconscionable mannner it will be struck down by the courts as unconscionable. Bottom line is healthy players at the beginning of the season when things are still competitive will have to play otherwise there should be a bold disclaimer. The rosters at the end of the season are different because by then things have settled and FANS KNOW what to expect.

So the court is supposed to rule that you can sit guys in April, but not in November?  Legally, there is zero difference between games, so the court cannot differentiate.  Each games counts equally regardless of when it takes place.  You can either sit guys, or you can't...when the game occurs shouldn't matter.  You can't prove a legitimate difference between games, like you could with a regular season vs. exhibition game.

« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2012, 01:36:52 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

So egregious?

Done and done.

Well, Stern can't help himself but take things a bit further than they needed to go (the substantial sanctions thing), but that's just Stern.  But I think stepping in was the right thing, because Pop went too far on this one, and something needed to be done.

I still maintain that Pops didn't go too far here unless there is some sort of league bylaw or rule prohibiting this type of stuff which I haven't heard of any.

The fact that the Spurs nearly won that game last night certainly doesn't help Stern's case either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2012, 01:38:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I agree there should be no difference, but there is. I will err on keeping the uniform rule. You only sit players for injury illness or compelling personal 'family' reasons.

« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This is not like going to a concert... this is a TEAM sport, meaning there are multiple players on a team, they are there to step in when a player is out (w/e the reason)... when you buy tickets to see a band/singer there are no guys waiting in the wings to step in for them!

You, as fans/businessmen of basketball KNOW going into every game there is a chance that you may not get to see your favorite players AHEAD of time! There are no guarantees (said or unsaid) on who you will see at a basketball game, that's why the team is named San Antonio Spurs and not Duncan, Manu, and Parker. If the fans are upset then that's on them for not knowing what sport they are watching!

If I go to see Usher in concert I am guaranteed to see him on stage, if I go to a Spurs game, I am guaranteed to see the Spurs play, not individual players... if I don't see Usher, I get a refund, if I don't see the SPURS play (if it's their fault), I get a refund. Duncan and Parker are NOT the Spurs, they are just players (who can change at any time) on the Spurs team!

I cannot say I totally agree witht his post.. Teams do not exist in a vaccum nor are teams faceless. To say you pay to watch a team and not individuals is a non sequitor because the team is made of individual players. These franchises have faces and they do market individual players. If I go to watch the Clippers I expect to see CP3 griffin and DeAndre, and there better be a good reason if they are scratched from the lineup. If players did not matter then teams would not market them and put them in ad campaigns to lure people to buy season tickets or even individual tickets.

I also disagree that the NBA is about chips. That is only for the fanatics (fans). Believe it or not there are alot of spectators that go to games just for entertainment and dont give a bleep who wins the chip. The real fans could probably not care less if their team rests players because real fans has their eye on the prize,  but think about the coporate executive that invites his business associates from china to a game at in his box because Lakers are in town and he knows the chinese like Kobe, but kobe is a scratch not because of injury but ;just because' that will p--- him off. I remember when we had Olowokandi on the Celtics and the Cs came to town to play the Clippers I went to that game but I was  not happy because Pierce was a scratch - and in that particular case the Cap was a scratch due to injury. Imagine how upset I would have been if he was scratched on a coache's choice.

Believe it or not but NBA tix are expensive and some families plan for some of these games some scrape money together to make someone's day or dream (special days). Think about the father that maybe put some money together to get his child a ticket to the game because though he lives in Miami is youong child is a huge Duncan fan. That kid would be crushed. That is not what the NBA wants. I am sorry to say but Pop was wrong on this one, and I can see how moves like this can set the league up for litigation.

1) Players come and go for many reasons but who is still there? The fans. That should tell you that the majority aren't there for the "stars" but are there for the players as a collective for what they do for the team. When KG retires, a few of his fans will probably latch on to another player or w/e but watch the stadium still fill up without him!

Yes, you need the elite players to actually win but to get fans in the seats? Sure for some of the fans, but when I look at terrible teams w/ terrible players who still have stands full of people (maybe not sellouts but a lot of fans)... teams that are filled with players you wouldn't want on the bench of yours, it leads me to believe that the vast majority pay to see their team and the players as a collective, not as individuals.

I bet if you go to the average fan wearing a jersey or shoes of one of Sterns hyped up players, the majority of them couldn't tell you much of anything about that player, except for probably that their good and if they have won a championship lately. I bet if you ask the majority of people who wear Jordans about him they probably can only tell you he won some championships and was a great player and the most they probably saw of him was an old clip in a commercial or online.

I can find you 5 people right now who can only tell you LeBron is a good player and that he won them the chip AND they have his jersey in their closet. The only reason they have the jersey is b/c the Heat won the chip. They didn't buy it b/c they like him or even care about him, they just know that he is one of the best players on the team (b/c they hear his name a lot and saw him a few times) but I can tell you that before Mia won none of them owned anything with Lebron on it and could care less about him... they just know that "their team" won, so they bought one of the popular jerseys from the Heat. If it was fashionable to wear a Heat jersey with no name on it they would have bought that instead! Matter of fact I can even introduce you to a few people who hate the Bulls who are "fans" of the Celtics who wear a jersey from players on the Lakers b/c it matches their shoes, pants, and hat... it something I would never do b/c to me that's not a real fan but I hold my judgements to myself. So I asked one (my cousin), and he said I just wear it b/c it matches my fit (and I'm sure b/c it's "popular"). A lot of people wear/buy merchandise of the "star" players but not b/c they like those players it's because it's pushed through marketing and it's fashionable.

2)Did I say the NBA was only about chips? I don't think I did, I said people go to the games of bad teams like Bobcats and Wizards (teams that rarely win 30+ games much less championships)... so I'm fairly sure I didn't say that. Of course some are there for entertainment that's obvious. Even I go to a game of teams I have never even heard of b/c it's the only thing to do around here sometimes... I never thought I was the only one. As cheap as some tickets are... cheap entertainment! But those are usually the people the furthest distance from the action or are the rich people (I'm talking about the ones there solely for entertainment purposes).

About the people scraping up money to see those players, honestly, it's a nice thought but they would still be in the same predicament if those players were hurt... there are NO GUARANTEES a certain play will be there/play! A dad could buy tickets for a game the same day and the best players can come down with a virus or something and be out, all after being just fine the day b4 and playing bball. While it's sad for the kid, it's life, you don't always get what you want! What are you saying, they deserve a refund? Pfft.

Scratching fans for injury or illness or other legit reasons is acceptable, you cannot do it just because you feel like it. It wont work. NBA will lose business or get sued.

Sued for what exactly?

Sued for brach of contract that is what the NBA enters into when they sell tickets to an event. It is a contract. You pay money and you expect a promised event. That event includes the players that the NBA advertized. Those who say there are no gurantees miss the point because that argument applies to ANY contract. There are no gurantees in life what you expect in a contract situation is good faith and fair dealing. There is no reason to sit players that have been advertized to play, and are healthy enough to play.

So than everybody going to the garden tonight should get a refund because rondo isn't there?

no, rondo was suspended HE IS NOT A COACH'S CHOICE.

« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
I agree there should be no difference, but there is. I will err on keeping the uniform rule. You only sit players for injury illness or compelling personal 'family' reasons.

OK, but then is there a minimum amount of minutes the player is required to play?  Couldn't Duncan be in uniform but get a DNP-CD?  Couldn't Pop pull him at the first dead ball?  The league cannot possibly legislate playing time.

« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2012, 01:43:34 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown

Sued for what exactly?

no, rondo was suspended HE IS NOT A COACH'S CHOICE.

He was suspended by the league, which means David Stern chose to sit him.  So according to Stern's own logic, he owes the fans who bought a ticket to tonight's game an apology.

« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

OK, but then is there a minimum amount of minutes the player is required to play?  Couldn't Duncan be in uniform but get a DNP-CD?  Couldn't Pop pull him at the first dead ball?  The league cannot possibly legislate playing time.

Thats the thing, the league isn't legislating anything.  They are just saying use common sense, and keep the fans in mind when you make decisions like that.

If the league makes a hard and fast rule, it will eliminate the ability of coaches to make reasonable and legitimate basketball decisions.  But by just stepping in when teams go way over the line, then they can allow teams to rest players if they really need to, while also trying to maintain a better relationship with fans. 

« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
While I’m with the Spurs, I’ve heard a couple of stories over the years that make me appreciate certain players even more.

I heard John Stockton played a pre-season game injured, because he said the fans paid to see him play (and this was late in his career when he was older and probably could have used the rest I believe).

And a more popular story, although I can’t remember the exact details.  I believe the Bulls were beating the Raptors, and Phil Jackson was going to sit Jordan the entire 2nd half.  But Jordan hadn’t scored much and said he hadn’t given the fans their money’s worth yet.  So he went out and put up like 20 points in the 3rd quarter, then told Jackson, now you can take me out.

Although I can’t really verify this, I heard guys like Jordan and Stockton never sat out a preseason game (except for maybe a real injury) and played them like playoff games.  Not to take anything away from a classy guy like Duncan, because I definitely think it’s smart for the season and your career to take games off, but you gotta appreciate the guys who refuse to sit and always go hard every single game.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 03:27:23 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #163 on: November 30, 2012, 01:58:03 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown

Thats the thing, the league isn't legislating anything.  They are just saying use common sense, and keep the fans in mind when you make decisions like that.

If the league makes a hard and fast rule, it will eliminate the ability of coaches to make reasonable and legitimate basketball decisions.  But by just stepping in when teams go way over the line, then they can allow teams to rest players if they really need to, while also trying to maintain a better relationship with fans.

I understand your stance on it.  I was more focused on the other posters who were talking about legal action being taken.

« Reply #164 on: November 30, 2012, 03:02:51 PM »

Offline Section301

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • Yum
Ogaju, you've got the unintentional comedy meter completely pinned out, dude.

I can't see how Stern can actually fine a team for resting its players if there is no rule against it and there have been no prior warnings that such a behavior is not acceptable.  Even if you use the entertainment argument, I've been to any number of plays or performances where it is announced that "Tonight the role of XXX will be played by..."  have you seen the price of a Broadway ticket lately?  The NBA has nothing on them....

Good food, like good music and good love, always requires a little sweat in the making in order for it to be truly memorable.